Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Who's Who Of PMR!

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,282 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

Nickname/Preferred name:
Emily

About your dog(s): 
Mikey - 10 yo Heeler mix
Sprocket - 4 yo Long coating Chihuahua
Gunner- 2 yo Bully Breed Shelter Special
Jody - 2 yo Weimaraner/Chocolate labrador 

Interests: Farm animals, gardening, riding horses, hunting, fishing...

Favorite music: Anything but rap. Mostly classic rock and country (pre 2000)

Favorite book: The Earth Children Series.

Favorite quote: Hakuna Matata

9ccb035d-a811-4472-9336-39bd6ce466cd_zps

This is a picture of us FOUR YEARS AGO in Reno :)

001_zpsce795515.jpg

Hey Emily!!  :thumbsu: Glad you joined!!

• jdatwood likes this

BeagleCountry

BeagleCountry

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationTexas
A DFC refugee.  

I have 6 beagles. Misty, PJ and Connor have been with me for years. Lina, Kerry and Whisper belonged to the best friend anyone could hope for who recently passed away. 

Misty 14 yo - gentle to the core of her soul - oral malignant melanoma
PJ - 12 yo - my Mensa girl 
Connor - 8 yo- sweet cuddler - spinal walking paraplegic - owner returned him to the breeder when he became paralyzed
Lina - 15 yo- conformation kennel foundation bitch - hypothyroid, severe arthritis
Kerry - 10 yo - the perfect beagle
Whisper - 8 yo - her first owner died. she was returned to the breeder and is now enjoying the country life - Cushings

Shay-Shay - 9 yo - british shorthair cat -beautiful but not too bright
Davey - 9 yo - boerx goat - pasture pet - a 4H wether that the boy did not want to go to auction - gentle as a big, sweet Lab

Beagle rescue director

Retired social worker. Career working with the aged and disabled. Last position in adult protective services. Also, worked at the Texas A&M College of Medicine. Research focused on medical ethics and law.

"A good friend will come bail you out of jail, but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying... Damn, that was fun!"

• jdatwood, Prey Model Raw and naturalfeddogs like this

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

Holy BEAGLE!!! I didn't realize you had 6 beagles....that's so awesome. I bet your house is a party! 

I'd love to see pictures of all your dogs! 

I'm so sorry to hear of your friend passing....my sympathies. 

Pixel

Pixel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationTexas
 Nickname/Preferred name: Selena
 About your dog(s): 4 dogs, all girls. Pixel is a 4 yr old blue merle mini aussie. Pivot is a 1.5 yr old merle aussie. Betty is also about 1.5 and she is a black tri mini aussie. Fable is the newest edition. She is around 10 months old now and I have no idea what she is.
 Interests:  Dogs(especially working and herding breeds)Horses, animal genetics, outdoors, plants and you wouldn't guess it but reptiles.
Favorite music: a wide variety
Favorite book: Wind in the willows, don't know why I like it. My grandmother bought it for me years ago. It was one of her favorites, even though its for kids.
 Favorite quote:waste not, want not.

I'll try to find a picture to add when I get home tomorrow.
  • Prey Model Raw likes this

Wolfsnaps

Wolfsnaps

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
Nickname/Preferred name: Tiffany

Occupation: Currently I am a secondary service worker. That is my fancy title. What I basically do is babysit a mentally handicapped young man. I am going to college to become a medical coder as well. 

About your dog(s):  I currently have three dogs. 

This is Hunter. He is a black lab. We got him over ten years ago. Not sure on his age but when we acquired him, he was full grown and had all his adult teeth. So he is at least 11 years old, possibly older. He is OCD when it comes to retrieving, so he is doing the job he was meant to do. And then some! I am surprised I haven't worn out my shoulder throwing his toys for him. he also loves the water. Yup, your typical lab. Very obedient and intelligent. 

hunterandtheredchickens_zps91883beb.jpg

This is Dozer. He is a mastiff. He is almost 6 years old now. He is a big baby and the most affectionate dog I have ever known. He has bonded very close to me and really only listens to me (much to my husband's chagrin). His favorite things to do are eat and sleep while I pet him. If he had his way, I would never stop petting him. Unfortunately for him, I also have to do other things in life. He is overweight but I closely monitor his food and we walk at least 2 miles every day usually. His blood shows no issue with thyroid. You know how difficult it can be to lose weight and this breed is prone to weight problems but I do my best to keep him as healthy as I can. 

dozeronconcrete_zpscd90c455.jpg

This is Sargeant (please excuse the dirty floor). He is half dachshund and half poodle. He is my heart dog. I may as well have birthed this dog myself, that is how closely bonded we are. he is going to be 10 years old. I can not believe he is that old. I have had him since he was 5 weeks old (long story). He would walk through fire for me. He hates water but if I am in the water, he comes for me, crying and everything. He does not have separation issues though and is a very well behaved dog. If I take a dog with me somewhere public, it is him. He is very polite with other dogs but does not care much for children or strange men (just like me!). he is intelligent and strong willed. 

sargemane_zpsda2ae55f.jpg

The pack

mythreedogs_zps15170f02.jpg

Otis is not a dog. Otis is not even a male. Otis weaseled her way into this house and she just won't leave! I am kidding of course. I do love her. She is my indoor/outdoor cat. She does a great job killing mice around here and yet leaves all my livestock alone, even the baby ones. She can access them but she doesn't. If you asked her who her best friend would be, she would probably say Dozer. You know, the largest, scariest dog here.  And she loves to tease Sargeant. 

otisraspberry-Copy.jpg

Interests:  I enjoy T.V and movies. Recently I have become interested in raising livestock type animals. I currently have chickens, rabbits, and my newest addition are guinea fowl keets. I have recently gotten more healthy with my eating after I took a good look at my own diet. Why should the animals eat better than me? They still do but I am doing a lot better. I started juicing fruits and vegetables and that has made a very positive impact on me. I am starting to choose better options for myself. I am a work in progress I guess. I also compost and would like to start a garden next year. I also have a worm compost bin which I recently started. Boy those things can eat! For being so small, they really pack it away! I also enjoy sleep. 

Favorite music: I like a little of everything...even country and rap. But my main music is rock. I grew up in the grunge era so I love stuff like Alice In Chains, Nirvana, NIN, Tool, Perfect Circle, Godsmack, Days of the New, Metallica, and the list goes on and on. I like today's music too but I am selective on that. I can only handle so much pop music. 

Favorite book: I don't have a favorite but I have read stuff like the Harry Potter series, Mercy Thompson series, Kelly Armstrong, various werewolf novels, and I am currently tackling the mother of all books, The Bible. 

Favorite quote:   The more I know about people, the more I like my dog. -Mark Twain

PICTURE OF YOU

This picture is pretty recent
meskeleshirt_zpsa656a890.jpg

And me on a camel, why not? That is my brother behind me. It was his birthday that day and I was determined that he would get to ride a camel. He loved it. 

camelwithjonathan_zpsd0328f8f.jpg

• jdatwood, Prey Model Raw and SuperPug like this

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON
Nickname/Preferred name: Deb

Occupation: Currently hairstylist, leaving industry to become what I always wanted to be, a Vet Tech. I love animals more than people (less demanding, anyway!). And I won't have to do anymore perms. I really, REALLY hate doing perms.

About your dog(s): Gimli is a 2.5 year old Bugg (Boston Terrier/Pug mix). He's the first dog that Shane and I have owned together, he's pretty much our child and we plan to add more. I'm working on him to try to get us a AmStaff or a bully mix. Pit bulls are pretty much my favourite breed. Unfortunately, Ontario is under BSL, so until then, we'll likely get another Bugg. And then we have the two kitties, Josie (12 yr old orange striped DSH), and Dori (8 yr old medium-haired calico Manx)

Interests: Knitting, reading, videogames, learning animal nutrition (new interest thanks to y'all!) walking/playing with the dog, drawing, photography, repeat. 

Favorite music: Stuff like the Black Keys, loving the folk music takeover lately (Mumford, Of Monsters and Men, Lumineers), metal (Katatonia, Devin Townsend Project/Strapping Young Lad), Peeping Tom, Johnny Cash, AWOL Nation, Serena Ryder, My Ruin, Rage Against the Machine, Nirvana, KMFDM, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, to name a few.

Favorite book: Usually crime (fiction or non), or the newspaper :P

Favorite quote: "The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places." -Ernest Hemingway

PICTURE OF YOU

Changing the red to copper tomorrow, but that's the most recent!
photo_zps530b18df.jpg

• jdatwood and Prey Model Raw like this

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

Love me some Mumford and Sons!!! 

• naturalfeddogs, SuperPug and GimMom like this

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

They were just here like, last week, but I couldn't afford to go! 

Shane laughs because I always stomp/tap my foot and kind of air guitar when they come on the radio. P

blacksheep

blacksheep

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Nickname/Preferred name: Blacksheep has been a nickname for 9 years.  I'm ok with that :)

About your dog(s):

Spyro - 13 year old chihuahua x doxie
Loki - 3 year old chihuahua mix (possibly min pin)
Luna - 2 year old chihuahua x doxie (and possible JRT)

Interests: Hiking, gardening, being a hippie/protecting the environment, alternative medicine, computer programming, gaming...just to name a few.

Favorite music: Well I don't listen to rap and country.  I like everything else from heavy metal to classical (John Williams, anyone?)

Favorite book: I don't have one although I'm a huge Narnia fan (books only not the movies.)  Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series is also a favorite. 

Favorite quote: Well...I have a lot of those 

PICTURE OF YOU - totally not my chicken but hey...I want one!

285240_10152527324700417_832355238_n.jpg

• Prey Model Raw and GimMom like this

Swinn

Swinn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationNebraska

Nickname/Preferred name:
Shawna

Bookkeeper by day. Pet nutrition consultant in off hours (I give nutrition seminars at a local pet boutique and for local rescues, breed groups etc. I had the great honor, in my opinion :), to help with editing of Dr. Karen Becker's and Beth Taylor's book "Dr. Becker's Real Food for Healthy Dogs and Cats" 3rd edition.

About your dog(s):
Audrey is seven years old and was born with chronic kidney disease (I maintain her health with diet, whole food vitamins and whole food nutraceuticals) Audrey is 1/2 Chihuahua, 1/4 toy Poodle and 1/4 Boston Terrier
Gizmo is an 8 year old Pomeranian
Peanut is a 10 year old Pomeranian
Cloee is a 16 year old Chihuahua
Cleo is a 7 year old Poodle / Shih Tzu mix
Mimi is an 8 year old Papillon mix
Kippee is a 10 year old Papillon (and technically a foster dog however her and Tumbleweed have been with us for two years now)
Tumbleweed is an 11 year old Terrier mix (foster dog)

Interests:
Nutrition (both pets and people) and holistic lifestyle --- my father is a licensed, but retired, Naturopath and Master Herbalist and I took an interest in what he did.

Favorite music:
Anything but opera and heavy metal

Favorite book:
The Omnivores Dilemma, Politically Incorrect Nutrition, The Other End of the Leash and Scared Poopless: The Straight Scoop on Dog Care

Favorite quote:
"One of the biggest tragedies of human civilization is the precedence of chemical therapy over nutrition." by Dr. Royal Lee

• Prey Model Raw likes this

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

Shawna, I'm glad you've joined up! You'll be a wonderful asset to this forum as it sounds like you have well rounded experience and knowledge with natural rearing practices! 

I'm just getting my feet wet with TCM and herbs, so having someone around that understands holistic care for pets is amazing! 

• GimMom likes this

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,282 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

Nickname/Preferred name: Blacksheep has been a nickname for 9 years.  I'm ok with that :)

About your dog(s):

Spyro - 13 year old chihuahua x doxie
Loki - 3 year old chihuahua mix (possibly min pin)
Luna - 2 year old chihuahua x doxie (and possible JRT)

Interests: Hiking, gardening, being a hippie/protecting the environment, alternative medicine, computer programming, gaming...just to name a few.

Favorite music: Well I don't listen to rap and country.  I like everything else from heavy metal to classical (John Williams, anyone?)

Favorite book: I don't have one although I'm a huge Narnia fan (books only not the movies.)  Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series is also a favorite. 

Favorite quote: Well...I have a lot of those 

PICTURE OF YOU - totally not my chicken but hey...I want one!

285240_10152527324700417_832355238_n.jpg

Well, not John Williams, but how about John Mellencamp? I can ALWAYS ALWAYS go for some Mellencamp!  :bow:

• blacksheep likes this

Swinn

Swinn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationNebraska

Shawna, I'm glad you've joined up! You'll be a wonderful asset to this forum as it sounds like you have well rounded experience and knowledge with natural rearing practices! 

I'm just getting my feet wet with TCM and herbs, so having someone around that understands holistic care for pets is amazing! 

Thanks so much Natalie!!  I will mention, TCM is WAY outside of my scoop..  :)  Dad is trained in western herbs which is completely different than Chinese...  I'd like to get a good book on TCM but right now have over 10 books I'm trying to find time to read so it will be some time before I can even think about it..  But if anyone knows of a good book on TCM-------PLEASE let me know...

PS -- I'm more knowledgeable on things like d-mannose for UTI's caused by e-coli, turmeric and bromelain for cancer, raw honey for wound healing, certain homeopathics, glandulars for curing and preventing autoimmune diseases, garlic for LOTS of stuff, burdock root for blood purification, probiotics for immune system support and so on..

• GimMom likes this

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

Either way you're a welcomed valuable member to our community :)

• GimMom and Swinn like this

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Thanks so much Natalie!!  I will mention, TCM is WAY outside of my scoop..  :)  Dad is trained in western herbs which is completely different than Chinese...  I'd like to get a good book on TCM but right now have over 10 books I'm trying to find time to read so it will be some time before I can even think about it..  But if anyone knows of a good book on TCM-------PLEASE let me know...

PS -- I'm more knowledgeable on things like d-mannose for UTI's caused by e-coli, turmeric and bromelain for cancer, raw honey for wound healing, certain homeopathics, glandulars for curing and preventing autoimmune diseases, garlic for LOTS of stuff, burdock root for blood purification, probiotics for immune system support and so on..

Welcome, Shawna! I'm interested to hear your thoughts on the Guinness beer as a preventative for HW! I don't know many people who have tried it and wondered if you have experience with it!
  • Swinn likes this

Swinn

Swinn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationNebraska

Welcome, Shawna! I'm interested to hear your thoughts on the Guinness beer as a preventative for HW! I don't know many people who have tried it and wondered if you have experience with it!

Hi GimMom and thank you :)

Honestly that is the first I had ever heard of it...  I followed the link that was provided and then followed some data by posters on that site and hit several other sites.  Although I didn't find much in the way of what most would consider "reliable" I did find several that had used the beer for dogs with heartworm with good success..  In my book anecdotal evidence is often just as good as scientific evidence.  BUT, I prefer scientific if it can be found.  So I took it a step further and looked up the scientific name for hops (Humulus lupulus) and googled that with the scientific name for heartworm (Dirofilara immitis).  Didn't find anything?  So then decided to google humulus lupulus and the scientific name for dewormer (anthelmintic) and found several sites that said hops does in fact have anthelmintic activity.  What I couldn't find is if that is in the digestive tract only (like diatomaceous earth or raw pumpkin seeds) or if it would get into circulation and make it to the heart and lungs.

Even though I struck out finding any, what many would consider, "reliable" data I personally would give it a try in conjunction with other things that I know work -- like ginger, garlic and wormwood.

Sorry up front if you don't like the sciency stuff --- some do and some don't??

• BeagleCountry, SuperPug and GimMom like this

BeagleCountry

BeagleCountry

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationTexas

I do. Keep the  sciency stuff coming.

• SuperPug, GimMom and Swinn like this

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Hi GimMom and thank you :)

Honestly that is the first I had ever heard of it...  I followed the link that was provided and then followed some data by posters on that site and hit several other sites.  Although I didn't find much in the way of what most would consider "reliable" I did find several that had used the beer for dogs with heartworm with good success..  In my book anecdotal evidence is often just as good as scientific evidence.  BUT, I prefer scientific if it can be found.  So I took it a step further and looked up the scientific name for hops (Humulus lupulus) and googled that with the scientific name for heartworm (Dirofilara immitis).  Didn't find anything?  So then decided to google humulus lupulus and the scientific name for dewormer (anthelmintic) and found several sites that said hops does in fact have anthelmintic activity.  What I couldn't find is if that is in the digestive tract only (like diatomaceous earth or raw pumpkin seeds) or if it would get into circulation and make it to the heart and lungs.

Even though I struck out finding any, what many would consider, "reliable" data I personally would give it a try in conjunction with other things that I know work -- like ginger, garlic and wormwood.

You can call me Deb :)

I love how thorough you are! I didn't think to look that deep into it, I kind of just took the anecdotal evidence and figured "Hey, it can't hurt, as long as I'm careful about it, and do my research!" I don't vaccinate or de-worm my animals, I hate the idea of all those toxins and poisons in his body, I kind of went purist when I switched to raw, but that was also in part due to having bad experiences with vets in Toronto, too (looking into a new vet or holistic vet in the area that won't have a heart attack over the raw diet, I'm going to have to do blood panels and exam for the monster soonish). I actually appreciate the scientific standpoint, as well as the anecdotal, too. When I first stumbled upon raw feeding (after going through kibble after kibble with no relief for Gimli's allergies), I was like WTH, raw meat? I ripped apart the internet looking for scientific data to back it up, mostly because I was dumbfounded that you COULD feed a dog that, as well as the benefits from the PMR diet, but it was also to appease the skeptics (my boyfriend was extremely wary of feeding a dog raw meat and bones). When I couldn't, I said what the heck, why not? So I dove in, no regrets, except for a couple hiccups, it's been a great experience for me and Gimli, I kind of feel like we're bonding more over his awesome new diet. He keeps me company when I break his meat down into portions.

So if I were to mix the Guinness with say, garlic, how much would you think is an appropriate amount? If it's 1oz per 25lbs for the dog, and my dog weighs roughly 40-42lbs, what would be a safe amount to mix in? Would it have to be part of an actual clove, or garlic powder (I have both). Apparently, people have been using this method for years with success, and the one story about the dog who was sent home to die because it was a senior with heartworm got to me, especially since it was given a death sentence, and they tried the Guinness, and its next test gave a HW-. 

I might be picking your brain more often, too. Like Natalie said, you're most definitely an asset to the board and the rest of us! I'm looking into moving into Vet tech studies next fall, so this info (along with the other fantastic posts you made so far) will be extremely helpful!

• Swinn likes this

Swinn

Swinn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationNebraska

You can call me Deb :)

I love how thorough you are!

So if I were to mix the Guinness with say, garlic, how much would you think is an appropriate amount? If it's 1oz per 25lbs for the dog, and my dog weighs roughly 40-42lbs, what would be a safe amount to mix in? Would it have to be part of an actual clove, or garlic powder (I have both). Apparently, people have been using this method for years with success, and the one story about the dog who was sent home to die because it was a senior with heartworm got to me, especially since it was given a death sentence, and they tried the Guinness, and its next test gave a HW-. 

I might be picking your brain more often, too. Like Natalie said, you're most definitely an asset to the board and the rest of us! I'm looking into moving into Vet tech studies next fall, so this info (along with the other fantastic posts you made so far) will be extremely helpful!

Thanks Deb :) 

I'm not sure about mixing the Guinness with the garlic..  Kinda gives me a gut ache thinking about it :)..  Hee hee  May not be a problem at all but I think I would feed them at different meals.  If Gimli likes the beer it might even be worth giving it away from meals or shortly after eating raw meaty bones..  I also would give my own dogs the beer only a week or maybe two a month during heartworm season.....I don't know how prone dogs are to cirrhosis?  Maybe someone else will have some thoughts on that?

Although powdered garlic does have medicinal benefits, it is raw garlic that packs a real punch.  When fresh garlic is damaged (grating, crushing etc) two chemicals come into contact and form a third chemical -- called allicin.  Allicin is the chemical in garlic that gives it the most anti-microbial bang for the buck..  Allicin has been scientifically shown to kill the antibiotic superbug MRSA, kills giardia, ecoli, salmonella, coccidia etc.  After allicin forms however, it quickly starts to break down and after only a short time it is gone.  Only the higher end (and likely expensive), freeze dried supplements are going to have allicin still remaining.  The powder that we cook with, even if organic, is going to be void of any allicin.  Fresh and finely grated is best.

Pick away :)  If I know the answer, or think I know at least, I'm more than happy to share.  If I don't know the answer but am intrigued by the question I'll likely google it and let you know what I found...  :)  I LOVE that so many of you are vet techs or aspiring to be vet techs..  We need more of you out there...  I REALLY wanted to go back to school to get a pet nutrition degree but I didn't like school much the first time around and now that life is more complicated I doubt I'll like it any better a second time around...  Plus I wasn't able to find any good courses that taught data I really could find useful..  :(

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

That makes sense, I wasn't sure at first if you were saying to mix the two or not. Long day, hairstylist brain. :P

He's recently had a mucous issue because for a little while, in the last couple weeks, the little brat was sneaking kitty kibble. He was having some BRUTAL poops, dark, liquid diarrhea mucous mushroom cloud on the floor, a couple of times during the day. Before this, he had been fine on a rotation of chicken backs, turkey necks, and the occasional sardines. Because of the kibble episode, I've been slooowly transitioning the cats to raw and threw out the kibble. He's still kind of working out his gut from that. He's been getting 2-4 tablespoons slippery elm tea with breakfast and before bed. So his mucous is now off and on, though mostly off. I've been following Natalie's directions and slowing increasing boneless meat with backs, and he gets the occasional tablespoon of extra virgin coconut oil. Should I wait on the garlic and beer until that issue is resolved?

I'll be 34 next year and going back to school. I made the mistake of being lazy in my 20's and just going for a hairstylist career, when I REALLY wanted to work with animals. Be a vet tech. Work in rescue. Work up to being a trainer, and perhaps something with nutrition, too. I just love animals. I border on overboard with the anti-BSL stuff on my page. So glad I found this community and more like-minded people. My hubby can only take so much. :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO