Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Who's Who Of PMR!

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

lauren43

lauren43

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
Lots of vet techs or those that want to be!

I'm a postal employee that wants to make dog training a full time career.

I really need to win the lotto!!
  • GimMom and Swinn like this

blacksheep

blacksheep

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Lots of vet techs or those that want to be!

I'm a postal employee that wants to make dog training a full time career.

I really need to win the lotto!!

I think its because veterinary books contradict themselves a lot.  My school claims this one book is used all over as the basic veterinary book (McCurnin...anyone else use it?)  There is one section that talks about raw diets and then goes on to say that "all veggies should be steamed."  Dogs are carnivores but they need veggies.  I trust my anatomy book more which says that dogs are carnivores, just not obligated carnivores (meaning they can pull nutrients from plants.  Cats and ferrets are obligate carnivores meaning they absolutely cannot pull nutrients from plants and must obtain all of their dietary needs from meat.)  The big thing here is can.  Just because they can pull nutrients, doesn't mean that they are needed from plants or plants need/should be part of the diet.  Humans can pull nutrients from chocolate, but, you know....

To make things worse, a lot of vets shoot down ideas that aren't proven by science.  Well a lot of things we shoot up in animals are a mystery.  Half of the anesthetics and pain drugs are a complete mystery.  We don't know how they work but they do so we use them.  

• GimMom likes this

lauren43

lauren43

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
Nickname/Preferred name: Lauren

About your dog(s): Avery 3.5 year old Boxer/Pit/Lab Mutt, Lincoln 4 year old Chihuahua 

Interests: Dogs.  Dog training.

IMG_2873-Copy_zps1b662e20.jpg

• Prey Model Raw, naturalfeddogs, GoingPostal and 1 other like this

Swinn

Swinn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationNebraska

He's recently had a mucous issue because for a little while, in the last couple weeks, the little brat was sneaking kitty kibble. He was having some BRUTAL poops, dark, liquid diarrhea mucous mushroom cloud on the floor, a couple of times during the day. Before this, he had been fine on a rotation of chicken backs, turkey necks, and the occasional sardines. Because of the kibble episode, I've been slooowly transitioning the cats to raw and threw out the kibble. He's still kind of working out his gut from that. He's been getting 2-4 tablespoons slippery elm tea with breakfast and before bed. So his mucous is now off and on, though mostly off. I've been following Natalie's directions and slowing increasing boneless meat with backs, and he gets the occasional tablespoon of extra virgin coconut oil. Should I wait on the garlic and beer until that issue is resolved?

I'll be 34 next year and going back to school. I made the mistake of being lazy in my 20's and just going for a hairstylist career, when I REALLY wanted to work with animals. Be a vet tech. Work in rescue. Work up to being a trainer, and perhaps something with nutrition, too. I just love animals. I border on overboard with the anti-BSL stuff on my page. So glad I found this community and more like-minded people. My hubby can only take so much. :P

Hi Deb,

So sorry for my delayed response.  In addition to working a full time job and doing nutrition classes, I watch my grand babies M-F from 5:30 pm to 12:30 am when their mommy gets off work.  Most of my posting is done during my work hours when things are slow...

YES, I would absolutely wait to start anything new until the digestive issues have worked themselves out.  Then I would start only one, the beer or the garlic, at a time to make sure there is no reactions.  Garlic is a food that has lectins in it but I've, to date, only heard from one person and one person's dog that have issues with garlic.

My dad was actually pushing me (nicely suggesting :) to go to school for human nutrition but I have more fun with dog nutrition..  :)  I started out on Yahoo groups -- was on one owned by Purina called Do More for Dogs..  I got moderated often but they did let me post A LOT of stuff.  More than I expected :)  Hee hee  I'm also on, or been on, several other Yahoo groups.  My true "home" was on Dr. Becker's "Healthy Pets Forum" which was only open for 2 years before she had to close it..  I keep hoping they will start a new one.  I then started on Dog Food Advisor which I've been on for over 2 years but talk about a lot of people who aren't like minded.  They took up so much of my time that I didn't have time for those that are like minded..  UGH  It was actually because of DFA that I found this site -- someone linked to it.  :)  I've been giving local classes/seminars and consultations for about 5 years now.  I've been in rescue for about 8 years now.  I was the Nebraska Coordinator for a national Papillon group but Nebraska started requiring rescues pay a yearly fee and the group pulled out about a year ago. 

I'm very lucky in that my city is VERY all breed friendly.  My local humane society gives $5.00 good manners classes for bully etc breeds and their owners and the classes are as long as needed to pass the good citizen tests (still only $5.00).  The city (politicians) actually tried to pass BSL but the humane society stepped in and came up with solutions --- full blooded breeds known to have aggression issues must wear a muzzle when outside OR wear the vest awarded after passing the good citizen test.  Mixed breed bullies etc are treated like any other breed.  I grew up with a Staffordshire Bull Terrier and although I don't have a bully right now I will have one again some day.......  LOVE THEM!!!!!!  :-) 

• GimMom likes this

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

Swinn- why did Dr. Becker's forum shut down? 

I totally understand dealing with people who aren't open to suggestions, even if they are the ones asking for different information. Which is why I started this community. I want a great group of like minded, knowledgeable and experienced individuals dedicated to helping people who WANT our help! Thanks for coming here. 

• GimMom likes this

Swinn

Swinn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationNebraska

Swinn- why did Dr. Becker's forum shut down? 

I totally understand dealing with people who aren't open to suggestions, even if they are the ones asking for different information. Which is why I started this community. I want a great group of like minded, knowledgeable and experienced individuals dedicated to helping people who WANT our help! Thanks for coming here. 

Some of the information given was confidential so I can't disclose that...  But I believe a significant reason for closing the forum is likely pressure she was getting from the "authorities"..  Same, or similar, types of pressure that Dr. Andrew Jones experienced before he gave up his practice...  A vet giving out advice and alternative recommendations gets noticed I'm sure...  In the beginning she would suggest herbals or dosages etc on the forum but towards the middle to end I noticed she started commenting that she was not legally allowed to give specific advice without first seeing or communicating, one on one, with the dog/owner...    Additionally, people can be rude and downright mean..  Dr. Becker, just like all of us, simply wants to help as many people as she can but it gets old when in doing so you get attacked for not responding to every question or not responding quickly enough or your beliefs being slightly different than anothers etc.  You can still see that kind of insensitive nonsense in the posts people leave at the end of her articles....  It takes a very thick skinned person to take all that and keep coming back...  :(

PS --- THANKS to everyone here for being so welcoming!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  MUCH APPRECIATED :)

• GimMom likes this

OwnedBySilly

OwnedBySilly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Nickname/Preferred name: My father calls me Jim (he goes by Jim), but everyone else calls me James

About your dog: Silly, a 2 year old (a guess) Toy Manchester Terrier Mix

Interests: Photography, hiking, , firearms, dog walking/playing, PC games

Favorite music: Anything (almost) New Country

Favorite book: Don't read a lot of books, more often than not I'm reading articles on the internet or magazines

PICTURE OF ME:

a2f0.jpg
I'm on the right, along side my mothers ex. 

Unfortunately I don't have any good pics of Silly yet, the lighting in my apartment isn't very good even for my professional camera, and I don't think of taking the camera along on walks, it's quite bulky (yet, I've climbed mountains with it, lol).

• jdatwood and Prey Model Raw like this

Jackielyn

Jackielyn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Nickname/Preferred name: Jackie

Occupation: homeschool/stay at home mom, volunteer treasurer for Okinawa Youth Football, co-moderator of the Okinawa Homeschool Group

About your dog(s): 2 yr old male golden retriever named Coors, raw fed since we brought him home at 3 months.
3 month old female golden retrieved named Peaches, also raw fed as of a few days ago ;)

Interests: Geocaching, volunteering, reading, swimming, spending time with my family, politics

Favorite music: Just about anything except for country

Favorite book: I enjoy zombie themed reads

Favorite quote: "Unless someone like you cares a awful lot, nothing is going to change.  It's not." - Dr. Seuss

PICTURE OF YOU

I don't have any pictures of myself not his computer...will have to come back later :)

• Prey Model Raw likes this

GoingPostal

GoingPostal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Nickname/Preferred name:  Tiffany

About your dog(s): 
Jersey 8 year old pit bull-blue
Nero 6 year old pit bull-tan
Ripley 3 year old pit bull mix-brindle/white
ripleysept2011016.jpg

Interests:  Animals, besides the dogs I have ferrets, snakes, a cat, an iguana, several fish tanks both salt and freshwater.  Love watching movies and reading in my spare time.  Recently taken up hunting to get more wild game for my animals. 

Favorite music:  I really like music that is humorous and goofy in the vein of Atom & his Package, Moldy Peaches, Reel Big Fish kind of stuff but also a lot of punk, ska, rap.  Pretty much ok with most music but not a fan of country, screamy angry stuff, emo. 

Favorite book:  Don't know that I have a favorite, like reading for pleasure, horror or thriller books mostly, my shelves are full of Stephen King, Grisham, Crichton, Koontz, Anne Rice and a bunch of dog training books. 

Favorite quote: Don't have one. 

PICTURE OF YOU-ugh I hate pictures of me but this is me, my younger sisters and our dad, I'm in the blue shirt.  I have curly hair too but hate it in my face.
IMG_1292_zpsacd391ce.jpg

• Prey Model Raw and lauren43 like this

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

YAY!!! Tiffany I finally have a face to go with the name! Thanks for posting up ;)

lauren43

lauren43

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
Yay Tiffany!!! Nice to put a face to the name.

Haha we are both about the same age (I'm 26) and both clerks at the PO.
  • GoingPostal likes this

Aspen

Aspen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada
Hey! this is my first post but wanted to introduce myself in case you see a random post soon :) i've been lurking the past few days trying to learn as much as i can (Stacey referred me over here and i'm loving it!). I just made the switch from kibble to raw 3 days ago(a mixture of prey model and ground for right now) and my girls are doing great! :)

Nickname/Preferred name: Yasmin (Yaz)

About your dog(s): Aspen - Rotti/Great Dane?/Berner?, not sure, wish i knew.. 10 years young (my heart dog)
                           Tyra - French Mastiff/Pitty, also 10 years young (was my bf's dog, i've known her for about 4 years now)

Interests: dogs, my horse, movies, baking, makeup

Favorite music: alternative, pop, some classic rock, but ESPECIALLY country :P 

Favorite book: don't really have one but anything easy to read before bed!

Favorite quote: "this too shall pass"

PICTURE OF YOU - sorry if its too big!
1091036_10153017506055478_284395646_o.jp

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
Welcome to the group Yaz!!! Glad to have you here.

Feel free to always ask any questions!

Aspen

Aspen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

thanks Natalie!

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationWashington State
Nickname/Preferred name: Jordann

Occupation: Part-time daycare worker, soon to be staying home full time, in preparation for the second one who is on the way. :)

About your dog(s): Tank will be 7 in February and is a Rottie/Shepherd (think German and Australian)/possibly lab/?????? 83 pound mix ... Calvin should be 7 in June. When I found him on the side of the road, took him to the vet to check for a chip and he didn't have one. The vet said he was probably between 2-4. At that time, Tank was 3 so I say Calvin was 3, but of course he had to be younger than Tank! :) Calvin is a 73 pound hound mix. My father in law and I were talking and we think Calvin could possibly have Bluetick in him. No matter what he has, I love him the same. :) She's not a dog, but we also have a 13.8 lb 7 year old tuxedo looking cat. She was 16 pounds when we got her October of 2012 ... One day I'd like to get her onto PMR as well, but she thinks only her kibble is food. I will be showing her that is not a correct way of thinking soon enough. :)

Interests: Family, my animals, trying to become self-sufficient, friends

Favorite music: Country (old and new) and rock (also old and new) ... Hubby is in a band that plays 60's and 70's rock type music. Pretty much anything if it has a catchy tune. :)

Favorite book: haha ... There are so many! My mom has a Nook account so I have the app on my iPad and I read everything she does. Dean Koontz, Stephen King, Karen Marie Moning, Hunger Games ... Pretty much everything. lol

Favorite quote: "There is no knowledge behind instinct"

For some reason I can't add pictures from my iPad, so once I remember to use the laptop I'll be able to add some in. For now I will be the masculine grey picture. lol

lovemypits

lovemypits

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
Nickname/Preferred name: Roberta

About your dog(s): I have 3 rescued Pit Bull mixes

Babs is 13, my husband found her 10 years ago in the middle of a busy city intersection, after doing research as to what happens to most pits in the city shelter we kept her.

Macy is also 13, I got her from NYC AC at age 11, her owner went into a nursing home, she was very sick and dying in the shelter, I just couldn't leave her there.

Capone is our newest he just turned 2, his owners contact a friend of mines rescue, if they couldn't find a foster for him they were going to tie him to a vets office with a sign that say please don't kill me, so I had my daughter foster him for a bit, what can I say I am a foster failure.

Max will never be forgotten, he passed a year ago at age 5 for unknown reasons, he was rescued from death row at a city shelter

Interests: anything related to animals, natural remedies & healing, and fast cars

Favorite music: I like mostly all music, but Led Zeppelin & Lynyrd Skynyrd are my favorites

Favorite book:

Favorite quote: it is what it is

PICTURE OF YOU don't have any

allyshort2

allyshort2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Nickname/Preferred name: Ally

About your dog(s): I have two. Bane who is a German Shepherd Mix -- 1 1/2 years old --75pounds and Zoba who is a Boerboel -- 1 year old -- 145pounds

Bane is a very athletic obedient boy. He is always very eager to please, he has a tail that is more like a whip and has been known to make objects fly off the coffee table or Christmas tree. He goes with me on all my consultations/classes/evaluations with clients. 
Zoba is a big boy who LOVES to eat and snuggle. He is a very sweet boy who loves to be next to me..he's kind of a mama's boy. Zoba has never really been a huge fan of meeting new people but just the last few months has been VERY vocal about. It's an issue that my husband and I are trying VERY hard to fix. 

Interests: Dogs

Favorite music: Kelly Clarkson. Miranda Lambert. Two of my favorites right now. 

Favorite book: Bible

Favorite quote: 

PICTURE OF YOU

I can't figure out how to add pictures. :/

sylvangeist

sylvangeist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Nickname/Preferred name:
Kayla

Manger at dog kennel

About your dog(s): 
I have 4 pups: Hannah who is 13 yr old dachshund, Sam a 9 yr old boarder collie mix, Harley-Quinn a 6 yr old Chihuahua mix and Day-Z a 6 yr old pit bull mix.  I also foster dog in need so I have them coming in and out of my life ( its very sad but very happy)

Interests: 
 I like  crochet and I sell stuff that I have made and give the money to my foster dogs 

Favorite music:
 Ska and punk

Favorite book: 
 The Green mile

Favorite quote: "I am the bridge from what was to what will be" its from a poem I ready about foster dogs

PICTURE OF YOU

Attached Files

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

Welcome Kayla!! 

swolek

swolek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • LocationMurfreesboro, TN

Oh, I never did this thread, oops.

Nickname/Preferred name: Stephanie

About your dog(s): I have two dogs, a senior American Cocker Spaniel and a German Shorthaired Pointer puppy (maybe mixed?).

Interests: Dogs, exotic pets, animal behavior, aquariums, biology, ecology, hiking, video games

Favorite music: Almost anything but especially electronic music and Disney songs, ha

Favorite book: Watership Down

Favorite quote: We weep for a bird's cry, but not a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

1452540_631548006891543_1059547446_n_zps

100_7567_zps7393cff2.jpg

(Bonus: Every dog I'm pictured with is/was raw fed!)

• Prey Model Raw and Jordann like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO