Hi all. Hope everyone is doing well. Sorry this is long but I'd really appreciate any help here.
My little guy (11#) Gus had a chicken foot and some beef last night for dinner. He normally eats them just fine and chews from the back of the foot to the toes. Last night he went toes first and ended up choking on it. It was too far down for me to grab so I massaged his throat and he ended up getting it down. Over the next half hour, he started coughing and hacking several times. I decided to take him to the vet. Thankfully they're open late on Fridays.
My vet said he didn't see any obstruction or piece stuck in his throat but guessed that he scratched it up while swallowing the chicken foot. He gave him an antibiotic (Clavamox) twice daily for 7 days and a cough suppressant (Torbugesic Emulsion) .5 ml every 8 to 12 hours for pain. I gave Gus his meds which quickly sedated him. About 2 hours later, he started coughing really rough and then started screaming in pain. It lasted about 15 seconds before he stopped and settled down as I massaged his throat again. I was worried he may have gotten a shard stuck somewhere. The vet was closed now and decided to wait and see before rushing him to the ER vet. I stayed up with him until nearly 3am before bringing him to bed with me. His breathing was steady but not his usual.
This morning, we were at the vet as soon as they opened. He was lethargic and made no effort to move for all of his usual favorites. They took x-rays and said he had nothing in his throat but the chicken foot was still there in his stomach. He said to continue the meds and feed him high fiber to try and help the foot pass. I got the canned Veterinary Purina (I know) Overweight Management that he suggested. When we got home, I fed the pups. I still had some Honest Kitchen Preference (dehydrated veggie mix) which he wouldn't eat. I decided to put a small amount of the canned food in it, which triggered him eating the majority of the veggie mix as well. He looks miserable and hasn't moved from his crate since. He also is favoring his right, front leg. The vet looked at that as well and guessed he may have tweaked it jumping off the couch or bed. He has a step and ramp to both but doesn't always use it.
So I guess it's a waiting game, on whether he passes it on his own. Our vet said he may need surgery if he doesn't by Monday and to take him to the ER vet if he starts getting at all worse before then.
I'm just wondering if anyone has any advice on what I should be doing? Will his stomach be able to break down a chicken foot if it's mostly whole? Is it better to keep his normal diet, without bone until he passes it? Is it better to feed the canned yuck food and veggie mix for the fiber? I always thought it was best to not feed anymore if you thought there may be a block. Should I fast him? I trust my vet but am always up for second opinions and extra advice. He didn't say anything negative about the diet besides that he probably wouldn't feed him chicken feet specifically anymore. Way ahead of you, they're already blacklisted for him. Thank you for reading!