Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Please Help! Possible Blockage.

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

RescueMutts

RescueMutts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Hi all.  Hope everyone is doing well.  Sorry this is long but I'd really appreciate any help here.

My little guy (11#) Gus had a chicken foot and some beef last night for dinner.  He normally eats them just fine and chews from the back of the foot to the toes.  Last night he went toes first and ended up choking on it.  It was too far down for me to grab so I massaged his throat and he ended up getting it down.  Over the next half hour, he started coughing and hacking several times.  I decided to take him to the vet.  Thankfully they're open late on Fridays.

My vet said he didn't see any obstruction or piece stuck in his throat but guessed that he scratched it up while swallowing the chicken foot.  He gave him an antibiotic (Clavamox) twice daily for 7 days and a cough suppressant (Torbugesic Emulsion) .5 ml every 8 to 12 hours for pain.  I gave Gus his meds which quickly sedated him.  About 2 hours later, he started coughing really rough and then started screaming in pain.  It lasted about 15 seconds before he stopped and settled down as I massaged his throat again.  I was worried he may have gotten a shard stuck somewhere.  The vet was closed now and decided to wait and see before rushing him to the ER vet.  I stayed up with him until nearly 3am before bringing him to bed with me.  His breathing was steady but not his usual.

This morning, we were at the vet as soon as they opened.  He was lethargic and made no effort to move for all of his usual favorites.  They took x-rays and said he had nothing in his throat but the chicken foot was still there in his stomach.  He said to continue the meds and feed him high fiber to try and help the foot pass.  I got the canned Veterinary Purina (I know) Overweight Management that he suggested.  When we got home, I fed the pups.  I still had some Honest Kitchen Preference (dehydrated veggie mix) which he wouldn't eat.  I decided to put a small amount of the canned food in it, which triggered him eating the majority of the veggie mix as well.  He looks miserable and hasn't moved from his crate since.  He also is favoring his right, front leg.  The vet looked at that as well and guessed he may have tweaked it jumping off the couch or bed.  He has a step and ramp to both but doesn't always use it.

So I guess it's a waiting game, on whether he passes it on his own.  Our vet said he may need surgery if he doesn't by Monday and to take him to the ER vet if he starts getting at all worse before then.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any advice on what I should be doing?  Will his stomach be able to break down a chicken foot if it's mostly whole?  Is it better to keep his normal diet, without bone until he passes it?  Is it better to feed the canned yuck food and veggie mix for the fiber?  I always thought it was best to not feed anymore if you thought there may be a block.  Should I fast him?  I trust my vet but am always up for second opinions and extra advice.  He didn't say anything negative about the diet besides that he probably wouldn't feed him chicken feet specifically anymore.  Way ahead of you, they're already blacklisted for him.  Thank you for reading!

• SurraTazy likes this

RescueMutts

RescueMutts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

I'm sorry.  I realize this should've been in the Health Issues section.

• SurraTazy likes this

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

I'm so sorry you are going through this! I'm not much help since I haven't ever had to deal with that. It sounds to me like he more or less just gulped the foot without really chewing? If he still isn't acting right Monday, I would take him back again. But in the meantime I would offer him some boneless meats. Maybe as he swallowed the foot toes first it may have just irritated him all the way down, and it may just take some time for the irritation to clear up. 

Please keep us posted!

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationWashington State
How is Gus doing today?

RescueMutts

RescueMutts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Thank you Jenny and Jordann!

Gus is currently in an oxygen tank at the emergency animal hospital.  He just finished a plasma transfusion a couple hours ago and will be starting a red blood cell transfusion shortly.  Today has been absolute hell but he is finally where he needs to be, receiving the care he needs to save his life.

This morning around 4am, I couldn't wait anymore for our regular vet to open at 8am.  It had been absolute torture all weekend, seeing him miserable.  He wouldn't stand, drink or pee and was clearly having trouble breathing.  He groaned with every breath.  We took Gus to the ER vet and before going in, let him down to see if he'd potty.  He peed and pooped!  Yay!  A vet tech looked him over and said he'd be okay to wait the couple hours until our vet opened.  We went home and got our one hour of sleep last night.

We were at the door when our vet opened to get another x-ray, feeling optimistic.  At this point we figured his biggest issue was constipation and obvious dehydration.  We agreed he should stay at the vet on IV fluids today, to help him get better.  Once our vet looked at the x-rays though, he knew we needed a more serious course of action.  Gus had digested and passed the chicken foot but had become much worse, needing serious help.  He had fluid in his chest.  We just weren't sure of what or from where.  He said it could be that Gus had aspirated some food and had pneumonia, that the chicken foot had cut his esophagus and was bleeding or something completely different.  After doing a chest tap, he learned that Gus was bleeding into his chest.  I unknowingly waited all weekend.  I couldn't stop crying.  I've never felt so guilty in my life.  We were told we needed to get him to the emergency animal hospital immediately.  On the way to the hospital, our vet called asking about the possibility of him getting into rat poison.  I didn't know where he'd find any but wouldn't rule anything out with this little scavenger.

He was taken back as soon as we walked into the hospital.  About an hour later, we talked with the doctor.  She didn't think it was related to the chicken foot, explaining it'd have been noticeable right away and be getting better, not worse.  She believes he ingested rat poison, telling us it can stay in their systems for weeks without symptoms.  Rat poison keeps their bodies from making vitamin K, which they need for their blood to be able to clot.  Another possibility is that he has hemophilia, which is less likely but nearly identical treatment.  Gus had another x-ray, blood work and two clotting tests.  His blood work was good besides his red blood cell count being quite low.  His clotting tests were very worrisome.  The first test, 12 seconds to clot is normal - the machine couldn't even read his, it took so long.  The second test was 20 some seconds being normal and his took over 320.  She is pretty sure he found rat poison somehow, which is treatable (thank god!).

So now he is staying overnight at the hospital and we are taking it day by day.  I just got a call from his nighttime doctor, saying he did great with the plasma transfusion.  His clotting times are normal and will be tested every 8 hours to make sure they're holding by himself.  If not, he'll receive another plasma transfusion.  His pulse is weak though and his red blood cell count dropped even lower, so he will be starting a red blood cell transfusion shortly.  He's probably going through it now.  He is also receiving vitamin K.  We're not going to visit again tonight, afraid it'll just make him more anxious.  Plus, I want him in the oxygen tank as much as possible.  We'll definitely be visiting in the morning.  He's sitting up now (he wouldn't do anything but lie down nearly all weekend) and is observing everyone in the ICU.  He's got fluids and pain meds.  As much as I miss him and hate leaving him, I'm just thankful he's being taken care of.  This morning, I wasn't sure he'd still be with us now.  We're still not out of the woods but he's got more fight in him than any other dog I've met.  He's had a rough life but always overcomes anything thrown his way.  He'll be okay.  I honestly don't know what I'd do without him.  A month after I was medically discharged from the military, quite "broken", I found a little black dog (he found me) limping on a dark, country road.  Before I could get to him, a truck narrowly missed him.  He needed surgery to fix his leg and we helped each other heal.  We've been practically inseparable ever since.

Please send healing thoughts and prayers his way.  For all of the babies there too.  And please give your animals an extra hug tonight.  My mom held the door open for a woman carrying a crate at the hospital and told her she hoped her baby was feeling better.  With tears she said, "He is now.  He passed away."  He was a Guinea Pig and he was her baby.  I can't even imagine.  And now I'm crying again. :(  Why can't our babies stay with us forever?

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts

You have all my prayers. It sounds like Gus is getting the best care possible, and I believe he will be fine. He's been through too much not to. Have you looked around for any rat poison Gus may have drug up from somewhere else? Anything else similar in the house he could have gotten hold of? PLEASE keep us updated!! 

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationWashington State
I am sorry to read this, but so happy it is treatable, and he is perking up!

I would talk to neighbors, to see if anyone has put out rat poison.

Yes, please keep us updated!

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts

Any news?

RescueMutts

RescueMutts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Yes, sorry.  We visited him twice today, looking better each time.  He has life in his eyes and is very eager to come home.  On our first visit, we got a little tail wag out of him.  On our second visit, his little tail was going crazy.  Gus wants so badly to climb out the little window of the oxygen tank, when we open it to pet him.  He sticks his head out for kisses too.  He still needs the oxygen because his oxygen levels begin to drop when he is outside of the kennel, for the short walks he can tolerate.  He's still not eating, although we told him he needs to eat so he can go home when he's better.  He promptly tucked his head back in, took a bite of food and stuck his head back out, ready to leave.  Gus is quite the character.

When his early afternoon blood work came back, they saw that his clotting times were rising again - enough that he needed a second plasma transfusion this afternoon and an increase in his vitamin K dose.  He handled it well and I hope to hear good news about it when we call for an update in the morning.  He still has some blood in his chest, as well as a little in his lungs.  They say that'll just take time for his body to absorb.  His prognosis is good and the doctors are optimistic that he can come home tomorrow (later today).  Yay!  We sure do miss him around here.  His brother and sister don't really know what to do without him.  Neither do I.

As for the rat poison, we apparently had some old trays under the stove.  They were empty but one of them looked like it'd partly been licked.  I didn't even know we had any in the house.  I'd never choose to use it, not only because of the dogs but because I find it terribly cruel.  Seeing what it did to Gus proves that.  Needless to say, it won't be an issue from us anymore.  As horrible as I'd feel that he got so sick on our mistake, it'd almost be the best scenario because we can control that it'll never happen again.  We asked our neighbors, who've never used any.  Another neighbor informed us that some terrible guy used to set poison out to kill the squirrels but he moved years ago.  I hope no one else is pulling BS like that.  We also diligently searched the field near our house that we take the dogs to every day.  Also asked the city what they use to manage the field.  No reply yet.  He is always on a leash and watched very carefully outside of our house/yard though because he has proven to be such a scavenger.

Hopefully he'll be back home tomorrow and I pray this will never happen again.  For his safety, he'll be crated from now on, any time we leave them home alone.  I'm so thankful he is on the mend and coming home soon.  Our first visit, there was a sweet cat in the oxygen tank underneath Gus.  By our second visit, the kennel was empty.  I asked if they'd went home.  The nurse shook her head sadly.  That has to be an incredibly hard job some days.

• Prey Model Raw and naturalfeddogs like this

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts

That sounds like really good news! I'm so happy for you! At least now you know what was the cause, and hopefully the guy who was there before ya'll didn't leave anymore laying around. 

RescueMutts

RescueMutts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Gus is home!  He was cleared to come home this evening and he's doing so much better.  He ate dinner, although I made the mistake of feeding him a bit too much since he's barely eaten anything for nearly a week.  Some of the water I added came back up but nothing too problematic.  I won't make that mistake again.  When I asked, they suggested cooking his meat for him while he's on his vitamin K1 meds.  He'll need to take them for a month, then get his clotting times tested again.  While on his vitamin K1, he needs to be kept very quiet.  No running, jumping, playing with his brother and sister, leashed potty walks, the whole shebang.  For a whole month.  This'll be fun.  He's already trotting around and attempting to jump off the couches or bed.  He gives us this "I can do it myself!" look every time we stop him, pick him up and set him down instead.

Thank you for keeping him in your thoughts and prayers!  I am so unbelievably grateful to everyone who helped save him!  Please double check to make sure there is no rat poison anywhere that your animals may get into - for their sake, as well as the mice, rats and other little critters.  It's unbearable to watch and even worse to experience.

• Prey Model Raw, naturalfeddogs and Jordann like this

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts

Great news!!!  :thumbsu:

JPsMom

JPsMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
Oh my goodness! I haven't been on in awhile, I wish I had been to throw my prayers your way as well. I am so glad there was a happy ending, and good for you for staying on top of things and following your gut when you felt like things still just weren't right!!

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

I'm so glad to hear little Gus is home!!! That is so dang scary.....glad he had a whole lot of people pulling for him! 

• Jordann likes this

jagger

jagger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Oh my, old thread I know but brings back nightmares. You were so lucky to catch it when you did.

My furry 4 legged soul mate died 6 years ago from rat poison, she had gotten out of the house and went on the roam. Came back on her own accord an hour later happy as a clam. When I got home the next day, there was a large puddle of poop on the floor and she didn't look good. We didn't know what caused it but took her to the vet. Vet did a once over, gave a bunch of drugs. I had asked the vet if she could have gotten into poison, she said probably not. I wish I had my time back to push the issue and find another vet.

Nose bleeds started the following day, back to the vet. Within a couple of days, she was gone, died through the night. Ripped me to shreds. Vet verified mouse poison. Watch your dogs folks, threads like these are a great reminder.

So glad your pup came out OK. Any lasting effects?

RescueMutts

RescueMutts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

I'm so sorry to hear about your dog.  It's awful that by the time the symptoms are showing, it's nearly too late already.  We believe the chicken foot issue was a blessing in disguise because without the numerous x-rays for it, we might not have seen the true problem in time.

There's no lasting effects for Gus.  He is back to his stubborn, entitled, loving, cuddly and scavenging (still!?) self.  It didn't take more than a day or so after being home.  I asked every vet at the hospital that I could about lasting effects.  They said that some poisons do cause them but with this type, if the dog is able to pull through, they're in the clear completely.  Thank goodness.

Last Saturday was the animal hospital's annual celebration to honor the dogs who donated blood during the past year.  We were able to meet one of the two dogs that saved Gus' life with their donations.  It was wonderful to meet him and his brother (who also donates) and their wonderful family.  I couldn't help but cry when we met them.

These are good reminders.  We never would've suspected mouse poison but are thankful our vet did.  We'd have lost him otherwise.  He's my first little dog and my gosh, I had no idea they're such scavengers.  He just graduated from being in a crate anytime we're gone to being in a "sterile" bedroom.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO