Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Whole Prey

* * * * * 1 votes

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

Zeddicus

Zeddicus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationDiscordia

Do any of you feed whole prey to your kitties? One of my cats gets either a chick, a quail or a mouse (thawed and previously frozen) for dinner and usually a chicken neck or a cut up piece of game hen with muscle meat and organs for breakfast.

My older kitty has had a really hard time with digestion issues causing severe constipation and or vomiting over the last 2 years so I finally switched him over to finely ground meals with a little bit of pumpkin. I'm sad I can't feed him like 

I used to but, part of being a succesful raw feeder is to know your animal and what they need to thrive. He ate a regular raw diet like my younger kitty for almost 11 years before the switch this year..

• BeagleCountry and lilasmom like this

lilasmom

lilasmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationCentral Texas

Yes my kitten eats whole prey since I got him at three months old from the rescue, he is about 4 and a half months now. He took to it immediately. He gets mice and chicks and can handle the fur and feathers just fine, the only problem is that he plays with his food. Last night his dinner was two chicks and he spent ten minutes playing with them before finally eating. Oddly enough, he ALWAYS starts with the head first whenever he gets whole prey, I wonder if that is instinctual or just his preference. I get my whole prey from RodentPro or Hare-Today, I highly recommend them to any raw feeder out there. 

Zeddicus

Zeddicus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationDiscordia

I too order my frozen whole prey from Rodent Pro. I love that they email $10 off coupons. The only problem is that I have to order half a years worth or more to make it worth it for my one kitty and I usually stop recieving coupons right before I'm ready to order again. lol

I have placed one order with Hare Today. I was very happy with everyhting I got. Unfortunetly the shipping was just too expensive so I've yet to order again.

lilasmom

lilasmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationCentral Texas

The shipping is ridiculously expensive, but I ordered through my co-op so the shipping was split.

• Zeddicus likes this

Zeddicus

Zeddicus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationDiscordia

That's awesome! My freind and I placed an order together so the shipping was halved, but split with a lot of people would be a great idea!

My cat loves to play with his food too! He jumps and bats at it and rolls around. I usually feed both the cats each in their own crate but sometimes I let Vincent out to play first.

lilasmom

lilasmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationCentral Texas

Yeah when we split it through percentages, like for example if my stuff takes up 60% of the space, I pay for 60% of the shipping. This past order was mostly me so I paid for the majority of the shipping cost.

Wolfsnaps

Wolfsnaps

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Despite my best efforts, my cat does not eat a raw diet. 

HOWEVER, she is an inside/outside cat and often catches small animals like baby rabbits and mice. She eats the back legs off of them all the time. Just the back legs. Like they are a delicacy or something. She is weird. 

I would highly suggest a whole prey diet for cats. Everything they need (bones, organs, muscles) is all right there in the perfect proportion! And you can offer a nice variety (mice, rats, quail, baby chickens, guinea pigs, etc.). Even if you can not do an exclusively whole prey diet, try to incorporate as much as you can. It just seems like the most natural way. 

Dogs are harder to do this with because they are all different sizes. Also, some people find it difficult to explain to their neighbors why there is a half eaten goat in the back yard. 

• Zeddicus, lilasmom and GimMom like this

Zeddicus

Zeddicus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationDiscordia

You know, my dog is like your cat, He will eat all kind of little critters outside, already dead or alive but when I offer him a little animal from Rodent Pro he actually looks offednded. Granted, he does eat raw and he was raised on raw he will refuse to eat whole prey unless hecatches or finds it. He's an oddball.

• lilasmom likes this

lilasmom

lilasmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationCentral Texas

Feeding whole prey to my dogs is hard because they don't like any animals small enough to feed whole. They love chicken so I thought they would like baby chicks but they were disgusted, even when I exposed the flesh. So know I have like 125 baby chicks in my freezer and only one animal eating them. 

taquitos

taquitos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Quebec

Wolfsnaps, what have you tried to entice her into eating raw? With cats it's like this whole process to get them to eat it lol. My cats took 2-3 weeks to switch from kibble/cans to raw. After that it took another month or two of steady raw (ground) eating before I could introduce whole prey. Even at that, I still had to chop it up into smaller pieces until they graduated into larger things :)

Anyway, I do give my cats whole prey. They get ground 50-75% of the time, and the other times they get whole things like quail, chicken/duck necks, etc. My foster kitten who has been on raw since he came to my home at 8 weeks will even try to eat my dog's RMBs lol!

• Zeddicus and lilasmom like this

Zeddicus

Zeddicus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationDiscordia

My foster kitten who has been on raw since he came to my home at 8 weeks will even try to eat my dog's RMBs lol!

About five minutes ago I had to play Tug O War with my oldest kity to get a goat penis away from him! He stole it out of my dog's bowl.

• Prey Model Raw likes this

taquitos

taquitos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

My foster kitten who has been on raw since he came to my home at 8 weeks will even try to eat my dog's RMBs lol!

About five minutes ago I had to play Tug O War with my oldest kity to get a goat penis away from him! He stole it out of my dog's bowl.

hahaha yeah if my foster kitten gets his hands on anything raw... forget about it! He will growl, hiss, snarl, and swat his way until he gets it again. He would even face off my dog with food guarding issues (don't worry, I crate my dog during feeding, and all the animals are fed in separate rooms so he will never really get a chance to).

• Zeddicus likes this

Zeddicus

Zeddicus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationDiscordia

You know, every cat that has been fed raw it's whole life that I've know has been extremely food obssesed and not finicky. I have duct tape on the animals fridge/freezer. The kitties get on top of the fridge, pop the freezer door open then hop into the freezer and pop the fridge door open and go to town.  I actually almost locked Vincent in the fridge when he was a kitten. He used to hop in the fridge whenever I would open it. Thank god I always check and say goodbye to my cats before I leave the house. He would have been duct taped in the fridge for a good 5 hours! And he was only about 2-3 months.

taquitos

taquitos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

You know, every cat that has been fed raw it's whole life that I've know has been extremely food obssesed and not finicky. I have duct tape on the animals fridge/freezer. The kitties get on top of the fridge, pop the freezer door open then hop into the freezer and pop the fridge door open and go to town.  I actually almost locked Vincent in the fridge when he was a kitten. He used to hop in the fridge whenever I would open it. Thank god I always check and say goodbye to my cats before I leave the house. He would have been duct taped in the fridge for a good 5 hours! And he was only about 2-3 months.

Naughty cats! Hehe :) My cats haven't figured out how to open the fridge/freezer yet *knock on wood*

I honestly never saw my cats this excited for food until I started them on raw lol.

Just today I gave them pork ear strips. Both my foster kitten and my orange one were shaking the ears like they were live prey lol!

GoingPostal

GoingPostal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

My cat eats mice but haven't gotten her to eat any other whole prey yet.  I breed my own. 

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

I don't know if our kitties will eat whole prey. Both our kittens have been raw fed since 4 weeks and 10 weeks and they struggle with larger chunks of boneless meat. I remember our other kittens being able to chomp through bones at a pretty young age....

They do eat whole smaller fish. 

Maybe I'll try getting whole mice in the next few weeks. 

Zeddicus

Zeddicus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationDiscordia

I don't know if our kitties will eat whole prey. Both our kittens have been raw fed since 4 weeks and 10 weeks and they struggle with larger chunks of boneless meat. I remember our other kittens being able to chomp through bones at a pretty young age....

They do eat whole smaller fish. 

Maybe I'll try getting whole mice in the next few weeks. 

I've found that whole prey like mice and qauil and chicks are really easy to chew through (Not my own personal experience lol) My cats chew rigth through them. My 2 food crazed cats took to eating whole prey differently. My younger kittie Vincent played with his until he would lay down and pant. I finally had to rip it open to expose inards and then he started to eat. My older kitty was like "Hell yes! Finally!" And devoured the creatuer in a few seconds.

I would start out with the pinky mice maybe since they are so tiny and hairless. 

• Prey Model Raw and lilasmom like this

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON
I'm also thinking about getting mice once the cats are ready. Just not live ones, probably frozen. I don't know if I could watch my girls kill a mouse, even if its for food since I think they're so damn cute. I used to have mice and raw as pets, too.
  • Zeddicus likes this

Zeddicus

Zeddicus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationDiscordia

I'm also thinking about getting mice once the cats are ready. Just not live ones, probably frozen. I don't know if I could watch my girls kill a mouse, even if its for food since I think they're so damn cute. I used to have mice and raw as pets, too.

As much as I would love Vincent to get to catch and kill his dinner I also would never put the animal through that. I think it would take awhile for the little creature to die and there is no way I could let that happen. I would rather know they died a quick painless death and let Vinny suffer with previously frozen fare.
  • lilasmom likes this

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

I don't suggest doing live mice AT ALL. Unless you're 100% confident that your kitties will be quick and painless with their kill. Most cats will play with their food before killing it unfortunately :(

• Zeddicus and lilasmom like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO