Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Whole Prey

* * * * * 1 votes

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Yeah, that's my issue, too. I don't like to watch any animal suffer. I am a giant mess when animals are in pain.

Though, this old building is said to have mice in it, which we've SEEN in our apartment, so if they go for them, I will not stop them. I love mice, but not scurrying around my apartment!I've tried to catch them myself, I don't like traps as they seem a bit inhumane, but I'm not fast enough :(

• Zeddicus likes this

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,282 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

Our older one, Psyco was already an adult when we went raw, and being a typical picky cat he won't eat any whole prey unless he killed it himself. Then he will wear it out. Our younger one, Smokey started raw as a kitten, so he will eat anything whole or raw.

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON
Argh, I hope Dori doesn't get that picky!

Bogart

Bogart

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

I bought some mice for the litter of kittens I fostered, and it was so much fun to see how they handled it. These tiny cat babies, who had never seen a mouse before, instantly turned into little monsters. They protected their 'catch', growling at their siblings, something I never heard them do before. They did start to do the same when they got other types of meat eventually, but nothing was as valuable as the mice.

I ended up keeping one of the kittens, and now I'm seriously considering raising some kind of rodent to use as cat food (probably african soft furred rats). Buying frozen mice at the pet store is just too expensive in the long run.I think this whole raw feeding thing is slowly making my go crazy...

• Prey Model Raw, naturalfeddogs and GoingPostal like this

GoingPostal

GoingPostal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Crazy is good!  I would like to start breeding asfs but can't find them around me, been considering rats now that there is a new pet store that would order me what I want.  It's interesting, no one blinks an eye that I feed mice to my snake, but the ferrets and the cat totally weirds them out and then most realize it makes sense.  All carnivores after all.  Mice suck though, gotta clean them out a lot, go through a ton of bedding but way cheaper than buying them, these days I only really need 4-5 litters a month so it's not as bad as when I had 7 ferrets. 

• GimMom likes this

Zeddicus

Zeddicus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationDiscordia

I am also planning on raising small animals for my animals. :) I won't be rasing small indoor caged animals just yet but I'd love to start raising rabbits and quail asap!

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON
If you guys are considering raising mice/rats for your cats, how would you go about killing them for dinner? If ever consider it, I want to be as humane as possible, of course.

Bogart

Bogart

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

If you guys are considering raising mice/rats for your cats, how would you go about killing them for dinner? If ever consider it, I want to be as humane as possible, of course.

I would use CO2, which is probably the most common method. If done correctly, it is supposed to be humane. It is also one of the few legal options in my area, and it is also very effective for killing a larger amount of animals. You simply put the mice in a container, and then add CO2.

There is some controversy to the method though, like how they are technically suffocating, which doesn't sound very humane. But plenty of people claim that if CO2 is added slowly, then they will pass out before they realise what is happening.

There are plenty of ways to find pressurized CO2 to use for this, like using paintball canisters or CO2 bicycle pumps. I have experimented with small CO2 systems for my aquariums, so I already have everything I need at home.

GoingPostal

GoingPostal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

I do cervical dislocation for the mice.  Have co2'd in the past, seems to take longer but easier if you have a lot.

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Definitely something I'm going to have to sleep on! But it sounds like a good idea. I might start with frozen and if that doesn't work, consider other options.

Bogart

Bogart

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

I have prepared for my first breeding group of african soft-furs now! I even found a breeder willing to sell some to me, I just need to pick them up, which I hope will be fairly soon. I'm very excited!

I also tried contacting a hatchery about buying culled male chickens, but apparently, that is illegal here... I am allowed to buy them live though, and kill them myself. How idiotic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO