Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Another Raw Fed Puppy Question For The Experts!

puppy poop smelly

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

jkilgore

jkilgore

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationOakman, AL

Alright guys! Got another newbie question. I'm very comfortable with what I can feed my 4.5 year old Doberman. I'm getting more comfortable with our almost 9 week old Black and Tan Coonhound, Duke. Every day his meals consist of a skinned chicken wing, cubed chicken breast, 1-3 gizzards, a dollap of chicken liver. I'm slowly adding a cube of pork each meal. He's not big enough for chicken backs yet, and I can barely find chicken necks (heck turkey necks are difficult even).

Anyways, my Doberman gets a pretty good variety of foods and he's been going raw since August of this year. His poop is of good consistency, size and doesn't smell. Our puppy on the other hand has GOOD looking poop but my god the smell is so strong and foul. It's worse than my Doberman's kibble farts! Can I do anything to help the smell of his poop? Now, the smell doesn't last long but coming out is putrid :wacko:

Another slightly unrelated question - since I can't get chicken necks easily, could I feed pig tails? They appear to be about the same size, and I figure the bone content is similar. He's starting on pork well, so I figured I'd ask.

• SurraTazy likes this

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

What has your puppy been eating so far? Sometimes, some things just may give them more gas than others. Ours get farts pretty bad with both chicken and deer. 

Pig tails are fine to feed, I feed them when I find them. Just be sure your dogs won't gulp them, because they are about the right size for that. Also, the bone in pig tails is much denser than a chicken neck, so be ready for that.

• SurraTazy likes this

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

Has he had a fecal test done at the vet yet to rule out intestinal parasites? Sometimes puppies that have foul smelling poop have bugs! And most puppy have one parasite or another even if they're raised in clean, healthy environments.

jkilgore

jkilgore

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationOakman, AL

Has he had a fecal test done at the vet yet to rule out intestinal parasites? Sometimes puppies that have foul smelling poop have bugs! And most puppy have one parasite or another even if they're raised in clean, healthy environments.

He's been regularly dewormed. I have a feeling the smell is due to Grandma and Grandpa. I've been very clear about what he can and can't eat.... and yet, they've given him Honey Ham, cheeseballs, taffy and kibble... ugh. I can't wait until we have a pen at our house. Granted, they treat him like a human grandchild (that they don't have), but it's still slightly frustrating..

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

Ah...there's the source of the stink I'm sure! 

jkilgore

jkilgore

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationOakman, AL

Ah...there's the source of the stink I'm sure! 

His poo last night was god awful.. it kind of traumatized my husband lol. He's slowly learning how to study poo and how to adjust meals accordingly (he's not big on raw, but trusts me if I say it's best for his dog... so I bag up meals for him to feed when I'm at work). That poo definitely had the taffy, cheeseballs, Milkbone and other lord knows what in it. This morning he had his usual meal from me. A little soft, but no smell. *sigh* I can't get angry because grandparents WILL spoil grandkids. Oh well...

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

That is super frustrating....can you maybe supply more nutritious things for them to spoil him with? Treats and goodies that are diet (and dog) appropriate? 

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationWashington State
Have you tried talking to them about not giving him certain things? I have heard of some grandparents who this works with ... I haven't had luck with my mother-in-law for the hairy or naked kids. But some grandparents will listen! :)

And yes, I think the leaving dog appropriate foods is a good idea!

JPsMom

JPsMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
For my family members that still feel the need to "spoil" Jasper despite my protests, I have at least been able to convince them to just give just LITTLE pieces of said item. Nixes the digestive upset for him. Lol
  • Jordann likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: puppy, poop, smelly

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO