Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Smelly Dog, Smelly Dog, What Are They Feeding You?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Wolfsnaps

Wolfsnaps

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

I don't have much to share in the way of LIFE ALTERING changes since we started raw full time almost 2 years ago.

But I have to say, I do not miss the mastiff's awful, rancid gas. 

Dozer would fart some of the worst gas. It was so bad we would actually want to leave the room. This happened on a fairly regular basis and I thought it was just him, that we would have to deal with it for his life time because he was a mastiff or he had digestion issues (despite healthy clearances from the vet). 

Some kibble gave him worse gas than others. We tried Merrick's Whole Earth Farms kibble which was a decently priced "holistic" formula and the smell permeating from my giant dog's rear was life threatening. 

Today, I sometimes forget about those early days of nasal assaults. Why? Because Dozer never farts on the raw diet. If he does, they have no smell to them. He only ever has stinky ones when he is on medicine (for example, he had to have a skin tag removed from his eyelid requiring antibiotics). When I think about how I thought his gas was something we were just going to have to live with, I have to laugh. 

Other changes would be smaller poops, better teeth (although I did notice that Dozer chipped a canine tooth on either a deer leg or spine so we are going to avoid these in the future), better breath, and happier dogs. My dogs were NEVER as excited about kibble in their bowls as they are now when I prepare their meals. 

I am sure their healthier diets are doing wonders for them that I can not see as well. 

• Prey Model Raw, naturalfeddogs, BeagleCountry and 6 others like this

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Gimli had gas on occasion (half Pug, half Boston, apparently prone to the farts), little farts that packed a smell that made your eyes water sometimes. I haven't heard him fart in forever.

And he had the same reaction to kibble as your dogs. He'd get excited because it was time to eat, but when I put the bowl down, I swear he'd be giving me the stink eye and putting that crap in front of him. Now he does excited little spins around his spot in the kitchen before I put the bowl down. 

I laughed my butt off at "life threatening" farts, too. Those farts are the kind that make nuns cross themselves and children cry.

kathylcsw

kathylcsw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationSouthwest Virginia

Unfortunately mine still fart even on raw. The 2 main culprits are duck eggs and pork. I don't think its life threatening but it can make my eyes water!

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,293 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

Lucky and Shadow are the only two of ours who fart on raw at all, and thats only with chicken. 

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON
Funny, Gimli only farted on chicken kibble, nothing else.

And now I have Smelly Cat stuck in my head!

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,293 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

Funny, Gimli only farted on chicken kibble, nothing else.

And now I have Smelly Cat stuck in my head!

:lol:  :lol:  :lol: "Smelly Cat" just struck me as funny!! I literally laughed out loud!

Wolfsnaps

Wolfsnaps

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Gimmom, You tell Gimli it's NOT HIS FAULT! 

LOL. 

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Ahahahahaha! 

No, it's momma's fault!

Iorveth

Iorveth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Two of ours still fart. The babies. Dude's are few and far between and they don't smell like they did when he was on kibble. 

Iorveth and Buck each have their distinct smells and we know EXACTLY who to blame when we smell it! For Buck, it's pork, for sure so, once we're able to raise our own animals for food (lots of goats, llamas, and sheep, if all goes well) and we're able to hunt then we'll eliminate pork from his diet.

kathylcsw

kathylcsw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationSouthwest Virginia

Two of ours still fart. The babies. Dude's are few and far between and they don't smell like they did when he was on kibble. 

Iorveth and Buck each have their distinct smells and we know EXACTLY who to blame when we smell it! For Buck, it's pork, for sure so, once we're able to raise our own animals for food (lots of goats, llamas, and sheep, if all goes well) and we're able to hunt then we'll eliminate pork from his diet.

Does farting necessarily mean they should stop eating foods that causes gas? I figure that some foods give me gas but don't make me feel bad so I keep eating them. I would hate to stop feeding pork and duck eggs because of a little gas.

Iorveth

Iorveth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Does farting necessarily mean they should stop eating foods that causes gas? I figure that some foods give me gas but don't make me feel bad so I keep eating them. I would hate to stop feeding pork and duck eggs because of a little gas.

No, I don't think there is any reason for him not to eat pork but once we are raising our own animals he'll have duck, turkey, sheep, lamb, rabbit, and other proteins on a regular basis added to the proteins he has now. The elimination of pork from his diet wouldn't matter since he would be getting a whole slew of new proteins instead. It's just really obvious that pork is what causes his gas and, if we don't have to feed it to him, I'd rather not. His farts are absolutely room clearing so if I can eliminate that then I would be more than happy to.

• kathylcsw likes this

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

Our girls get a little gassy when they have a pork meal, but not terrible. 

raw_in_malawi

raw_in_malawi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • LocationLilongwe, Malawi
Samson used to have the worst gas on kibble too! Like, terrible. And a lot of it. If my husband and I were watching a movie with Samson nearby, we would be interrupted no less than 7 times by a horrible smell. I just realized yesterday he hasn't had one smelly fart since starting raw about 6 weeks ago! I feel like he must be much more comfortable :) This is a minor, but very much appreciated, benefit we hsve seen since starting pmr.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO