Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Excuse Me Sir, But Can I Ask What You Feed Your Dog?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Spy Car

Spy Car

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

I was out running my 8 month Vizsla in the park today when a young man came over to us, complimented how shiny and fit the V looked, and then asked somewhat sheepishly what I feed. I said RAW. He said, "I thought so".

He had a nice fit looking Australian Cattle Dog and also does RAW. 

It is so clear just looking at 'em how much healthier this diet is for our canines.

Bill

• jdatwood, naturalfeddogs, Jordann and 3 others like this

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
That's so awesome!!!! Love stories like this.

You should post a picture of the V!

Spy Car

Spy Car

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Here is Chester out in the field with his first training bird.

Bill

Attached Files

• jdatwood and tdodar01 like this

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
Beautiful!!!!
  • Spy Car likes this

Spy Car

Spy Car

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts
I'm thinking now that I was once on the other end of one of these "Excuse me Sir (only in this case it was Ma'am) moments."

I was at the first class of Beginning Competive Obedience and in the failing evening light I could see a magnificent Irish Setter. It had all the hallmarks of a raw fed dog. I'd had an Irish Setter as my first boyhood dog (loved him) so I went over and said hello. I reached out to pet the Setter. He was so soft, and he had the taut body of a raw fed dog.

I looked up at the owner and said: "You feed raw." It wasn't a question. I was quite certain. she was stunned for a moment. Like "how did you know." but then we both laughed over the obviousness of it.

Do you all have similar moments?

Bill

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
Oh yes. Every time I pet a dog (which is often being that I'm a dog trainer and have been in the vet field for 8 years), I can tell whether it's kibble or raw fed. And since raw fed dogs are still very rare.....it's a treat to feel the difference.
  • Spy Car and posburyfan like this

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
When I was in my dog training academy, the mentor/teacher called me and my personal dog up to the front. She asked the other students what was different about her. They all agreed she had better muscle tone and a super glossy coat. That's when she said "That's the difference between adequate nutrition and ideal nutrition, this is what raw fed dogs look like"
  • naturalfeddogs, Jordann, Spy Car and 1 other like this

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationWashington State
All I see are kibble fed dogs anymore ... I've forgotten how sad coats and muscle tone can be, but am reminded daily. Even with the boys being dirty right now, they feel better than the dogs I pet. lol
  • Spy Car likes this

TRDmom

TRDmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 468 posts

What a nice story! :) Not to be rude, but so many dogs in my area are obese and don't look so great (poor coats, etc). Just sitting at the vets office for 15 minutes will give you plenty to see. I try to do right by my dog and its nice seeing others who make the extra effort. :)

• Jordann and Spy Car like this

Spy Car

Spy Car

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

We have the very good fortune to have a very long-standing "unofficial" dog park near-by, with lovely people, nice dogs, and lots of grass for the animals to run. We go there daily (if not twice daily). I see hundreds and hundreds of dogs. Far too many are in sad condition. Obesity, lack-luster coats, and those sort of swollen looking bellies that kibble fed dogs get are the norm. Older dogs are plagued with cancers, fatty tumors, tartar-stained teeth, and artheritis. It is sad.

This is an upper-middle class environment where people commonly spend small fortunes on vetenary care (hip replacements, ligament surgeries, and cold laser treatments, to name a few). Yet few, very (very) few feed raw.

I don't know that a raw diet will insulate us from all the health problems a dog might face, but I feel good knowing "Chester" is working off a solid base of good health build on an optimal diet. While I don't "push" the PMR I do hope my Vizsla has a demonstration effect. He is already quite "famous" for being such a preternaturally vital looking dog, plus he's the biggest sweetheart (ever who is happy to play with anybody).

Anyway, it is nice to find a community of like minded folks here. It is a little lonely feeding-wise for me at the moment "in the real world."

Bill

• TRDmom likes this

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
Sounds like your dog "park" is about the average community of dogs.

Raw feeding is a guarantee against any and all health concerns but I do believe that it plays a huge role in overall health- especially immune health.
  • naturalfeddogs likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO