Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

So, What's The Best Way To Get A Finicky Cat On Raw?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

My Manx, Dori, can be a bit of a pain in the butt, Josie (DSH) loved her little bit of canned salmon (though hasn't liked it AS much since).

Gimli is still a work in progress, so I was waiting to start the cats because I've had issues here and there with him (he got a chunk of cooked chicken bone thanks to the losers who throw them on the ground outside the pizza shop we go to, didn't even see it, he pooped it out today, but I'm still a bit nervous because of it, plus mucous-y diarrhea from sneaking kitty kibble). Sorry, digressed a bit!

So yeah, basically looking to get everyone on raw here. I hate seeing them eating doom nuggets and Friskies canned crap while Gim munches on his chicken backs, and Josie seems to puke up her kibble quite often (Gimli usually "finds" and "cleans up" those messes for me before I can get to them). Josie also tends to not finish her canned, she'll eat half a tablespoon and then Dori finishes it off. Josie is on the skinny side, while Dori is just a bit plumper. Dori also has skin issues, she's very flaky and dry, though her fur tends to feel a bit oily in spots. I know raw would help them both, it's just a matter of doing all three furkids at once (without losing my sanity).

Any pointers from other raw fed kitty moms/dads?

• jdatwood likes this

taquitos

taquitos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Quebec

I work at a pet boutique where we make our own raw and this is basically how we switch all cats.

1) Cut the kibble 100%. Get them on a feeding schedule on wet food first. This will ensure that your cat will be hungry for the next meal so she won't be as slow of a eater, and she will learn not to be as finicky. I feed mine twice a day (morning and night). If left with kibble they constantly graze so they're never hungry.

2) I would start with ground raw -- start adding just even a pea sized amount to the wet food and mix it in very well. Start increasing the raw and decreasing the wet slowly with each meal. If your cat stops eating, it means you're going too quickly and decrease the raw again.

3) Once the cat is eating raw steadily, you can slowly start introducing bigger chunks of meat. Don't rush. Start with diced meat, then move onto chunks, and then move onto whole prey.

Other tips:

- Start with a protein that you know your cats like. Only introduce new meats once your cat is eating raw without issue :)

- Feed your cats separately so that your slower eater has a chance to eat.

• jdatwood, Prey Model Raw, Zeddicus and 1 other like this

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Wow, that actually doesn't sound too hard at all. Is ground beef okay to start with, or is any ground okay? I think they sell 2lbs tubes of ground beef at the grocery store for $2.

Thanks for the tips. Gonna toss the kibble A.S.A.P. This is a relief, I won't have to worry about the pup anymore. I usually find little piles that Josie's puked up in the window, anyway. I almost feel like an a-hole for feeding her kibble for so long! She's 12, if she can live a lot longer and happier, awesome. She's very skittish and hyper, I wonder how raw will affect her personality, if at all. Dori just spends her days rolling around on her back on the carpet. :P

• jdatwood likes this

taquitos

taquitos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Wow, that actually doesn't sound too hard at all. Is ground beef okay to start with, or is any ground okay? I think they sell 2lbs tubes of ground beef at the grocery store for $2.

Thanks for the tips. Gonna toss the kibble A.S.A.P. This is a relief, I won't have to worry about the pup anymore. I usually find little piles that Josie's puked up in the window, anyway. I almost feel like an a-hole for feeding her kibble for so long! She's 12, if she can live a lot longer and happier, awesome. She's very skittish and hyper, I wonder how raw will affect her personality, if at all. Dori just spends her days rolling around on her back on the carpet. :P

The only thing that would concern me about using ground meat from the grocery store is that there is no bone and no organs. I would do ground premade raw if you can.

Raw is more important for cats than dogs, imo. Moisture is soooo important to them. I've seen people's cats with diabetes no longer needing insulin after switching to raw, cataracts disappear after being on raw, so on and so forth. It's amazing how much diet can change in an animal!

One of my cats suffers from lower urinary tract disease (chronic cystitis, urinary crystals, etc.), and until I switched him to raw, he would get flareups on a regular basis. After switching to raw he hasn't had a single flareup. Both my cats have better fur, more energy, and imo have become even more affectionate.

• jdatwood, lilasmom and GimMom like this

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Ahh, gotcha. So I could I throw in canned salmon, too? I know that usually has bone in.and Josie seemed to like it, if Dori didn't. I know the premade raw can be a little pricey unless there's a good brand that you know of that isn't on the expensive side.

And I've seen what PMR has done for Gimli so far (his fur is shiny, ear infections gone, better poops, etc), and I want to do the same for the kitties. I'm guessing their poops are much better on raw, too?

• jdatwood likes this

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

And I've seen what PMR has done for Gimli so far (his fur is shiny, ear infections gone, better poops, etc), and I want to do the same for the kitties. I'm guessing their poops are much better on raw, too?

Their poo doesn't even smell bad at all. Actually NO odor whatsoever. It's amazing. 

• GimMom likes this

taquitos

taquitos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Ahh, gotcha. So I could I throw in canned salmon, too? I know that usually has bone in.and Josie seemed to like it, if Dori didn't. I know the premade raw can be a little pricey unless there's a good brand that you know of that isn't on the expensive side.

I wouldn't start with too many things at the beginning. If you have a meat grinder you could try preparing your own raw. Or if you can get bone meal then you can just add that to ground meat and add chopped up organs. That might be cheaper than buying premade raw.

My cats' litter boxes never smell now, and their poops are super small and well formed. Their urine doesn't smell nearly as strongly. If I REALLY wanted to, I could go a full week, even with three cats, without cleaning the litter box without it smelling lol (I don't do this of course -- I actually clean my litter twice a day lol).

They also don't drink any water anymore, and they shed a whole lot less (but still shed obviously since they're cats lol).

One of my cats used to get lots of eye goobers and I found that it has reduced quite significantly. His ears used to be a bit waxy too, but now they're super clean and white now. They also gained muscle and lost fat.

And remember that with cats it's usually 3-4% of their body weight, not 2-3% like with dogs :)

• GimMom likes this

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Okay, that all sounds amazing. That might sell the boyfriend on raw fed cats even more, haha, he hates smelly litter boxes (who doesn't, though).

I just have no idea what the cats weigh. Dori could be close to 10lbs, where Josie is more like maybe 5lbs? She's skinny and light, Dori feels a bit heftier. I don't have a scale, I think it's time to get one. 

taquitos

taquitos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Okay, that all sounds amazing. That might sell the boyfriend on raw fed cats even more, haha, he hates smelly litter boxes (who doesn't, though).

I just have no idea what the cats weigh. Dori could be close to 10lbs, where Josie is more like maybe 5lbs? She's skinny and light, Dori feels a bit heftier. I don't have a scale, I think it's time to get one. 

Yeah it might be a good idea to get a scale :) My cats are 10-12 lbs and eat about 0.25 lbs per day.

Seriously cats benefit SO much from raw. Get your boyfriend on board! You'll never go back to commercial food ever again :P

• GimMom likes this

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Natalie, you have cats with all those huge dogs? Your house must be crazy! :P Looking forward to luttle or no odor for sure

And Taquiots, thank you so much for your help! I tossed the kibble. I'll go get a couple of raw patties and add it to their meal bit by bit. I can't wait to get to the point where all three of the furbabies are crunching through chicken bones together :D And don't worry, I'll win him over. He's seen evidence with Gimli. I think the messiness is the part that bugs him. At least he isn't the one chopping it all! :P Though, he did WTF about the cats not drinking water anymore, is that normal? I've never heard of that!

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
Yep! They're separated from the dogs when we aren't directly supervising them though.....

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON
I'm going to have to feed them separately too. Dori will wander over to Gimli sometimes if she finishes first and sniff at his chicken or lick at the bowl if he has sardines. And the cat bowls go up on the counter as soon as the girls are done because he likes to lick their bowls, too.

Animals! Love 'em, but they drive me a bit bonkers sometimes!

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON
And I'm thinking I'm just going to try making my own, with bone meal and ground. I can probably get ground chicken for cheap where I get my chicken necks for Gimli, and there's a Global Pet Foods up the street that sells bone meal. Can I just use up the chicken hearts I have at home, or is that still considered more muscle meat than organ?

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Couldn't find bone meal anywhere, this might be harder than I thought. Plus the premade that Global had was a freeze-dried, just add water premade, I didn't get it because it was like, $12 for some little bag and that seemed a bit ridicul

Going to my butcher tomorrow, might just get the cheapest ground and research where to get bone meal in the city to add to it. Good news is, Josie munched down the two tiny pieces of chicken I cut off one of Gim's drumsticks and seemed to like it, Dori not so much. Dori is the bad news, she seems like she'l definitely be a bit stubborn. 

Why oh why are cats such brats? :P The next kitten I get goes on raw right off the bat.

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

And I'm thinking I'm just going to try making my own, with bone meal and ground. I can probably get ground chicken for cheap where I get my chicken necks for Gimli, and there's a Global Pet Foods up the street that sells bone meal. Can I just use up the chicken hearts I have at home, or is that still considered more muscle meat than organ?

Heart is considered muscle meat, not organ. But it is a rich muscle meat....I like to think of heart meat as a transitional muscle meat that is about the middle point of "richness" between regular muscle meat and organ meat. 

Heart is an absolute NECESSITY when feeding raw to cats because it has the highest level of taurine. If you feed heart meat daily, you don't have to supplement with taurine powder.

Couldn't find bone meal anywhere, this might be harder than I thought. Plus the premade that Global had was a freeze-dried, just add water premade, I didn't get it because it was like, $12 for some little bag and that seemed a bit ridicul

Going to my butcher tomorrow, might just get the cheapest ground and research where to get bone meal in the city to add to it. Good news is, Josie munched down the two tiny pieces of chicken I cut off one of Gim's drumsticks and seemed to like it, Dori not so much. Dori is the bad news, she seems like she'l definitely be a bit stubborn. 

Why oh why are cats such brats? :P The next kitten I get goes on raw right off the bat.

Cats can get by with very little bone content...which is a saving grace! You can try smashing up chicken wings and cornish game hens with a hammer or kitchen mallet to break the bones up a bit to make them easier to eat. 

• GimMom likes this

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

You are BRILLIANT, because I'm having a heck of a time finding bone meal ANYWHERE in Toronto. 

If I can pulverize some bone and chicken hearts and add that to their canned daily, would that be sufficient or should I get some liver and mush that in there, too? I have a little mini food chopper that could possibly mix some stuff together, if I can crush the bones small enough.

• Prey Model Raw likes this

taquitos

taquitos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

You are BRILLIANT, because I'm having a heck of a time finding bone meal ANYWHERE in Toronto. 

If I can pulverize some bone and chicken hearts and add that to their canned daily, would that be sufficient or should I get some liver and mush that in there, too? I have a little mini food chopper that could possibly mix some stuff together, if I can crush the bones small enough.

Sounds good for now :)

My cats go crazy for organ meats and heart!

Good luck and keep us updated :D

• GimMom likes this

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Oh believe me, you'll be updated! :P Chicken hearts are thawing now, I'm going to my butcher tomorrow to get more necks and backs and I'll also grab a kidney or liver to puree or chop. I cannot wait until all my kids are on raw. 

• naturalfeddogs likes this

Amanda

Amanda

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationBarry, IL

I can't seem to get my cats to eat their raw unless it has been cut into smaller pieces. Is there a way to get them to eat a whole chicken thigh or a large chunk of meat without cutting it into bite sized pieces? My female cat in particular will not eat for days unless her meat is cut up. All my cats are pretty young, and shouldn't have problems with their teeth. Any advice?

taquitos

taquitos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

I can't seem to get my cats to eat their raw unless it has been cut into smaller pieces. Is there a way to get them to eat a whole chicken thigh or a large chunk of meat without cutting it into bite sized pieces? My female cat in particular will not eat for days unless her meat is cut up. All my cats are pretty young, and shouldn't have problems with their teeth. Any advice?

Slowly graduate into larger and larger sizes. It takes forever to get cats eating PMR lol. Go from tiny bite size pieces to slightly larger, and then slightly larger, etc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO