Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

So, What's The Best Way To Get A Finicky Cat On Raw?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

Amanda

Amanda

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationBarry, IL

Slowly graduate into larger and larger sizes. It takes forever to get cats eating PMR lol. Go from tiny bite size pieces to slightly larger, and then slightly larger, etc.

They used to eat larger pieces and within the last few months they have started refusing to eat unless they are small pieces. I think they are just being cats, spoiled.

taquitos

taquitos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Quebec

They used to eat larger pieces and within the last few months they have started refusing to eat unless they are small pieces. I think they are just being cats, spoiled.

Haha yeah, you basically just have to go right back to square one again :P With cats it's like an ongoing battle lol.

I think I am so lucky to have cats that aren't picky lol. As long as I'm not giving them mackerel they are pretty happy eating whatever I give them big chunks or not :P

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Cats are wonderful at being stubborn. Josie is eating tiny pieces of chicken meat with her canned. Little by little! 

Dori is being Dori, which means the chicken has to be the size of a pea. I love her, but jeebus! 

Patience is definitely a virtue when switching some cats to raw.

swolek

swolek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • LocationMurfreesboro, TN
Yay, my cat just ate ground beef! It's a start! :) That's the first truly raw meat he's had, he's been getting freeze-dried and some cooked until now because he's picky.
  • GimMom likes this

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON
Dori ate a larger piece of chicken when I spooned a little of the canned food "gravy" on it, but I can tell she's still going to be stubborn.

Anyone want a bratty cat? LOL
  • Prey Model Raw likes this

taquitos

taquitos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Dori ate a larger piece of chicken when I spooned a little of the canned food "gravy" on it, but I can tell she's still going to be stubborn.

Anyone want a bratty cat? LOL

Still better than nothing!!

Cats are the biggest brats! At least she didn't cost you an extra $200 on boarding and catheterization (like my douchebag cat lol)!

• GimMom likes this

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON
No, but I had a cat before her that cost me $1100 because he got a UTI and almost died. I was young, didn't know the signs. I worked off $900 at the clinic, and my mom covered the rest. That was scary, especially since I was 17 and didn't have $1100!

I found an incredible raw meat site, they ship out of province and have amazing deals. They also have a raw blend, chunks not ground, that can be used to help transition the cats, so I might try it, since the bulk order is not expensive. They're called Northern Raw Pet Chow, and they're on Facebook. They're Canadian and ship in the GTA for free, I'm excited!

taquitos

taquitos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

No, but I had a cat before her that cost me $1100 because he got a UTI and almost died. I was young, didn't know the signs. I worked off $900 at the clinic, and my mom covered the rest. That was scary, especially since I was 17 and didn't have $1100!

I found an incredible raw meat site, they ship out of province and have amazing deals. They also have a raw blend, chunks not ground, that can be used to help transition the cats, so I might try it, since the bulk order is not expensive. They're called Northern Raw Pet Chow, and they're on Facebook. They're Canadian and ship in the GTA for free, I'm excited!

MUST CHECK OUT.

I have been having trouble finding a good meat supplier.

Yeah this same cat has been to the vet twice for cystitis (crystals) and another dislocated tail and also an upper respiratory infection... and he's only 5 years old. x_x

• GimMom likes this

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON
Definitely check it out, the chick I was talking to from that company had responded to an ad I placed on kijiji asking for freezer burned meat. I can get a case of 20lbs of beef heart for $1.75/lbs, min 20 lbs order. So like $35. They have everything, and if they don't, she'll find it. So so nice! I'm going to use her for my red meat for now, I have a poultry place already. Unless she has better deals on bulk turkey necks, which I get for $1.49/lbs at my poultry place in Kensington.

God, all that and only 5? Poor kid! Nick was like that, too. UTI, got his paw run over and had to be in a cast for a few weeks (it was bright pink, too, which was hilarious to see on a 30 lbs black cat), my mom let him get out on brutally cold night and he lost the tips of his ears to frostbite. He was a disaster, but the best cat I ever had.

taquitos

taquitos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Definitely check it out, the chick I was talking to from that company had responded to an ad I placed on kijiji asking for freezer burned meat. I can get a case of 20lbs of beef heart for $1.75/lbs, min 20 lbs order. So like $35. They have everything, and if they don't, she'll find it. So so nice! I'm going to use her for my red meat for now, I have a poultry place already. Unless she has better deals on bulk turkey necks, which I get for $1.49/lbs at my poultry place in Kensington.

God, all that and only 5? Poor kid! Nick was like that, too. UTI, got his paw run over and had to be in a cast for a few weeks (it was bright pink, too, which was hilarious to see on a 30 lbs black cat), my mom let him get out on brutally cold night and he lost the tips of his ears to frostbite. He was a disaster, but the best cat I ever had.

Yeah and all their meat is hormone and antibiotic free. So awesome! Thanks a lot for directing me towards them. I've been having so much trouble finding a good supplier! Now the problem is trying to find freezer space, or getting enough people to purchase with me so I am not overflowing with meat at my house LOL

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON
Same! And no problem, I know how hard and frustrating it is to try to find a good place to get meat for the pups so I'll share anything I find! I still need to find a freezer, too. My little apartment sized fridge freezer is not nearly sufficient for me to stock up. I'd rather have a supply for months and not have to frequently replenish it, if I can help it!

And the same lady told me to try warming chicken skins to feed to the girls in their food, so I tried that last night, they didn't bite. Going to try again tonight and try putting a little gravy from the canned on it to entice them.

Again, stupid stubborn cats!

taquitos

taquitos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Same! And no problem, I know how hard and frustrating it is to try to find a good place to get meat for the pups so I'll share anything I find! I still need to find a freezer, too. My little apartment sized fridge freezer is not nearly sufficient for me to stock up. I'd rather have a supply for months and not have to frequently replenish it, if I can help it!

And the same lady told me to try warming chicken skins to feed to the girls in their food, so I tried that last night, they didn't bite. Going to try again tonight and try putting a little gravy from the canned on it to entice them.

Again, stupid stubborn cats!

You just gotta mix little by little and not rush things~

Yeah I am having trouble finding enough people to order with me with this place :( It's min. 25 lbs of meat... and that's a lot of meat for me lol. I wanted to order organs as well as muscle meat, etc. with this but it's going to be too much lol. That means at least 75 lbs of meat and I don't think that will fit in my freezer XD

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

D'oh! That's what I'm worried about, but I'm going for beef heart and pork shoulder. I might be able to make some room. :P

But seriously, I'm in the market for a small freezer this month, I think. I can definitely find one cheap on Kijiji.

Amanda

Amanda

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationBarry, IL

My kitties are eating larger chunks of meat again, but I still have to crunch up the bone in chicken thighs and breasts for them to eat it. Otherwise they just eat the meat off or around the bones. If I crunch/cut the bone into small bite size pieces within the meat they eat it fine and dandy. I love how garden shears work perfect for this. :thumbsu: Otherwise these kitties wouldn't be getting much of any bone in their diet. Hopefully once they start eating whole mice, and a few rats & hamsters, they will eat the chicken bones with out being crunched. Fingers crossed.  ^_^

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

Our kitties hardly get bone either. They always have solid stools. I think cats are more adapted to not needing as much bone to stay regular. 

Amanda

Amanda

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationBarry, IL

But shouldn't I be concerned about them getting enough bone in their diet for nutritional things, not just stool regularity?

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationWashington State
What about bone meal? I have seen recipes for boneless raw that calls for bone meal. Not sure how you could get them to eat it ... Maybe add it to the juices of whatever animal/organ they eat?

Don't remember if that was suggested here or not?

taquitos

taquitos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

What about bone meal? I have seen recipes for boneless raw that calls for bone meal. Not sure how you could get them to eat it ... Maybe add it to the juices of whatever animal/organ they eat?

Don't remember if that was suggested here or not?

The problem with bone meal is that it is often from China and we don't know exactly where it comes from.

You usually just mash up the bones with a mallet until it's small and then increase the size.

swolek

swolek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • LocationMurfreesboro, TN

Our kitties hardly get bone either. They always have solid stools. I think cats are more adapted to not needing as much bone to stay regular. 

Yeah, we have two kitties on PMR in this house. The one eats bones just fine so he gets plenty. The other will only eat the occasional small bone fragments/mice. But both have regular stools.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO