Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Making The Switch

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

RamboTheRottie

RamboTheRottie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
So I'm new here and wanted to stop by and say hello. I've done my research bought a freezer and ready to switch my rottie to a raw diet. She had the last of her kibble this morning and is fasting until tomorrow. I have 15lbs of drumsticks in the freezer skinned to start her on. I've read they pose a choking hazard but I would imagine since it will be her first time eating raw she won't swallow them whole am I correct? I also had a coworker give me the leftover deer ribs/legs I am going to freeze until the time is ready. I'm sure I will post back with more questions thanks for reading
  • Jordann, SurraTazy, Ridallrup and 4 others like this

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

Welcome!! Whats your Rotties name? Usually dogs are started on chicken backs or quarters, especially for large breeds like yours. But just watch closely to make sure she doesn't start gulping them once she gets the hang of eating them. It may also take a good many of them to get enough to make a meal for her, so quarters or backs would probably be better for that reason also. 

Ask any and all questions you can think of, and so you know, we do love pictures!  :)

• SurraTazy, Ridallrup, VitezEreD and 2 others like this

RamboTheRottie

RamboTheRottie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
So her name is Rambo. She is a little over 11months old and I weighed her yesterday at 95lbs. She has now fasted for 1.5 days and I offered her breakfast this morning and she didn't want anything to do with it. I seared a piece on both sides and she still wouldn't eat it. I left her food down for 20min and now it's back in the fridge. I guess it's a waiting game until she gives in and decides to eat her new diet
  • SurraTazy, Ridallrup, Deroypini and 1 other like this

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts

Sometimes you just have to go with tough love. Just offer the food at each feeding time, and if it's not eaten do like you did, and take it up until next feeding. Try not to cook it to any degree, or "sugar coat" it. That will cause more pickiness. A healthy dog will always eat, and you are not "starving"her either. She is the one who chooses to eat or not. 

You are doing fine, be patient! Sometimes it's a waiting game. 

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
Welcome! I wouldn't "doctor" her meat at all, just offer her food and give Her a few minutes to try eating it. If she doesn't, pick it back up and offer it again the next meal time. Repeat until she eats.

When I initially switched my two dogs to raw, it took them 3 straight days of tough love for them to cave. They've never been that picky since. They were a tad thin for a few days but in the long run it was worth the wait.

RamboTheRottie

RamboTheRottie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Yeah I'm on day 3 and still not eating. She's showing more interest and doing some licking and even picked it up out of her bowl but still not eating. I'm sure she will come around soon.
  • SurraTazy and Timothytip like this

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
Be even more strict. Hand it to her, if she doesn't take it right away take it back.

Make sure you don't show any frustration or emotion or say anything at all. If you make it a big deal or show emotion, you can actually make her feel nervous or uneasy about the new food, which will make the switch harder for her.
  • Timothytip likes this

RamboTheRottie

RamboTheRottie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
So I guess what they say about rottweilers is true. Very very stubborn lol so now on day 4. This little brat thinks she can wait me out but my wife is on my side so some tough love til she eats. I did pick up 20lbs of chicken backs and 5lbs of necks and I threw in a back with the crushed drumstick hoping she might like that.

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationWashington State
Stay strong! It's great you have support at home too! She'll give in eventually. We are here for you! :)

RamboTheRottie

RamboTheRottie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Day 5 still not eating kind of getting a little frustrated. Just found out yesterday she has a bladder infection and started her on antibiotics so I'm feeling bad she isn't eating. All the water content in the chicken would be great for her except she isn't eating. She sniffs her bowl and lifts her nose up and walks away. So at that point I stuck her in her kennel with a bowl of chicken I broke up into pieces and left her there for 15 min. Still wont touch it any other ideas?

RamboTheRottie

RamboTheRottie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Day 5 still not eating kind of getting a little frustrated. Just found out yesterday she has a bladder infection and started her on antibiotics so I'm feeling bad she isn't eating. All the water content in the chicken would be great for her except she isn't eating. She sniffs her bowl and lifts her nose up and walks away. So at that point I stuck her in her kennel with a bowl of chicken I broke up into pieces and left her there for 15 min. Still wont touch it any other ideas?

RamboTheRottie

RamboTheRottie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Sorry for the double post my computer was acting up. Anyways I was getting frustrated and I ended up shoving a piece of chicken down her throat. She spit it out 3 times and finally she took the chicken on her own on the 4th time. After that smooth sailing she ate most of the chicken I put out for her and she seems to really like it. I hand fed her cut up pieces as well as let her rip it apart while I held it for her.

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationWashington State
That was going to be my next suggestion, to give some boneless via tough love. :)

One of mine didn't like the texture or the feeling or something of chicken, initially, but he ate it because he didn't want the other to get it, but he tried to stay difficult ... It lasted two days, I think. :lol:

Here's to hoping she will accept the next meal, without giving you guys grief!

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

Glad she's finally figured out you're actually not trying to poison her with weird food LOL

Keep us posted! 

• Jordann likes this

RamboTheRottie

RamboTheRottie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Everything seems to be ok she ate dinner last night and breakfast an dinner today. She's getting the hang of things and figured out to step on the chicken and rip it into pieces. She's doing a great job chewing her bones and not just swallowing the whole thing. This afternoon I brought her outside and threw her a back and I went about my business and kept an eye on her and she crunched it all up and ate everything. How do I post pictures to this thread? Those are the best part.
  • Prey Model Raw, naturalfeddogs and Jordann like this

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

When making a post there is a little icon that is square with a landscape view in it. Click that and you can post a link to the photo if you have it hosted on facebook or instagram or something like that. 

Iorveth

Iorveth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Everything seems to be ok she ate dinner last night and breakfast an dinner today. She's getting the hang of things and figured out to step on the chicken and rip it into pieces. She's doing a great job chewing her bones and not just swallowing the whole thing. This afternoon I brought her outside and threw her a back and I went about my business and kept an eye on her and she crunched it all up and ate everything. How do I post pictures to this thread? Those are the best part.

I tell you what... The picture thread on the forum I started my raw feeding journey on a few years ago was the tipping point for me. I'd read and done my research but I just needed that last little push to finally just DO IT. It's true what they say. A picture's worth a thousand words. Seeing all those dogs happily munching away on their raw meals was just so much better than reading words on a page. 

I'm glad your Rottie is finally starting to get the hang of it. Tough love isn't fun for anyone and, knock on wood, I haven't had to do it for a LONG time ( I don't know if anyone here remembers when Dude wouldn't eat the day old bull calves we got from our local co-op). It went on for nearly a week. He'd just pick at it, eating MAYBE a few ounces every night and then just turning his nose up at it. That was... geez... 2-3 years ago? 

I love Rots. I had one as a kid. Big girl that was often mistaken for a male. She was a very sweet dog

RamboTheRottie

RamboTheRottie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Another dinner down and everything is going good.(knock on wood) Rambo has always eaten twice a day but at the moment she seems to like eating a lot once a day in the evening. Tonight i fed her outside(seems she likes it better out there) an she had 1 back,3 drums, 2 necks, and probably could eat more but I wanted her to take it easy. Now only if this blader infection would clear up I'll be good to go. Anyways hopefully these pictures will work. Thanks for the help everyone.image_zps01a4d76a.jpgimage_zps4e294cdd.jpghttp://s1326.photobu...8a0d.jpg.html"]image_zpsd4ed8a0d.jpg

Iorveth

Iorveth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Beautiful! The second one reminds me of the old books about Carl the Rottie and his adventures with his boy. It specifically reminds me of the one I had, "Carl's Christmas".

• peppersmom1889 and TRDmom like this

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts

Beautiful boy! Great pictures!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO