Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Making The Switch

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
She's lovely!!! Thanks for sharing :)

RamboTheRottie

RamboTheRottie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Thanks for the comments guys. Got another question for you. Is it ok long term if she always eats her food frozen? I take her backs and necks straight out of the freezer and she loves crunching away if I let them defrost first she gets picky and it takes her longer.

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

Feeding frozen is fine. I have fed it that way before. It's also good for slowing down gulpers.

Iorveth

Iorveth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Nearly every meal I feed is frozen. I have a dog (my idiot Bluetick Coonhound) who will gulp down his food like a python. If it will go down whole, he'll choke and gag it down. So, we feed it frozen which has prevented the gulping. If I feed boneless thawed, I'll cut it into bite sized pieces and do a little bit of training but, if it's frozen, they get it whole.

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationWashington State
What a beautiful girl!

RamboTheRottie

RamboTheRottie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
So I'm dealing with a little battle of runny poop and don't know what to do. Yesterday morning she had a very runny poop and for dinner the usual chicken necks and backs. I know you should increase the bone but all I have been feeding is the necks and backs. So what do I do? This morning she had a regular poop followed by another runny one. She eats once a day so should I stick with what she's eating or switch it up?

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
How much food is she getting? And are you sure the chicken is not enhanced?

RamboTheRottie

RamboTheRottie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I'm not sure of the chicken is enhanced. I get it from the butcher and it just comes in giant clear bags with no labels. In going tomorrow and I can always ask. Since my earlier post she had runny poop 3 times but seems to be acting normal and then ate some dinner. She gets 1.5-2 chicken backs and maybe 2-3 necks. Tough to say exactly its all frozen together and I just bash pieces apart with a hammer :)

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
Since you're eyeballing portions just give half sized portions for now and go from there.

Definitely ask about enhancement.

Iorveth

Iorveth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts

I'm just going to throw this out there. 

Our youngest dog was on chicken for what felt like FOREVER. We would get a good poop and then it would go back to runny. No matter what I did or how much bone I fed, his body just couldn't seem to give us normal poops. We tried chicken from different sources, making sure it wasn't enhanced, etc. and nothing worked. I finally decided to forget the chicken and jump straight to the next protein which, in this case, was turkey. Within a couple of days, his poops were great. Once he had a few proteins in his diet I offered chicken again and he went straight back to the runs. I experimented a few times and discovered that, if chicken makes up a good portion of his meal, he'll get the runs. It doesn't seem to effect him if it's just a few bites but more than that upsets his digestive system. 

I don't know if that's the case for your dog but abandoning the chicken and moving on to turkey solved the issue for my guy. 

RamboTheRottie

RamboTheRottie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
So the runny poops only lasted one day. She did eat something disgusting in the woods and vomited that up the next day. Maybe she wasn't feeling well and that's what caused it. For the last 2 nights she ate a turkey neck and chicken quarter for dinner and seems to be adjusting fine. I also gave her a chicken foot for the first time last night and she practically was doing backflips for it she loved it so much.
  • naturalfeddogs, Iorveth and Jordann like this

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
Glad to hear she's better!

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts

YAY!! I'm happy to hear how well things are going!

RamboTheRottie

RamboTheRottie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
So wish me luck tomorrow it's Rambos first visit to the vet since starting her new diet. This should be interesting seeing the last time didn't go so well when she wanted me spay her as a puppy.

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts

Let us know how it goes!

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationWashington State
I can't wait to hear how it goes!

Iorveth

Iorveth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts

So wish me luck tomorrow it's Rambos first visit to the vet since starting her new diet. This should be interesting seeing the last time didn't go so well when she wanted me spay her as a puppy.

Sounds like our first visit to our current vet (different doc, same clinic). She was SO upset and holier-than-thou when we took our Smooth Collie in (who was 7 years old at the time) and told her flat out we would not be neutering him when she tried to push it. Thankfully, we now see the civilian vet who works there and she is a raw feeder, has no issues with our limited vaccinations, and knows that we aren't just leaving our boys intact to produce puppies willy nilly. 

Good luck! We hadn't even started raw when we saw that first vet so we really lucked out. Here's hoping it will go/has gone well for you!

DianeT

DianeT

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationPasadena, Texas

Hello,

I am very new to this concept of feeding raw, I have always heard and thought it sounded much healthier, I have a 4 year old Male Merle  Great Dane and an 2 year old female Harlequin  Great Dane. My female, Brooklyn is a food horse, she cries in the kitchen to eat, she has gotten way to heavy and I need to get some weight off of her right now. So to not feed her for 24 hours I cannot imagine how she will react. Right now I have a regular refrigerator, but I live alone and do not have it stuffed with to many things, can I start without

getting a freezer first, or for two danes do I need the freezer up front? Any help or suggestions, not sure if there are co-op around me but that will be my next search. Thanks for any advice. 

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
Hey Diane, you don't have to get a freezer right off the bat. Just supply meat in smaller quantities from the grocery store until you're able to find a good deal on a freezer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO