Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Smokey Broke His Leg!

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,282 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

Christmas night, one of our cats Smokey came back in with his leg dangling. Fantastic.  :( First thing Friday morning we were off to the vet. It was broke, his hock was dislocated, AND almost all of his toe nails were pulled totally out. We guess he climbed a tree, and got stuck somehow coming down, then fell and either broke it when he landed, or hitting limbs maybe on the way down. He stayed overnight so they could sedate him to relocate the joint and then put on a splint for the break. He has to go back in a week for the splint to come off. and keeping our fingers crossed the joint has stayed together. If not, then there is a chance the leg would have to be amputated. We'll see. Our Christmas was great until that.  :(

• Timothytip, dimitriyksHar and RichardRes like this

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
Oh poor baby :(

And poor Jenny :(

I'll keep fingers crossed that he makes a fast and full recovery!!!!
  • naturalfeddogs and RichardRes like this

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,282 posts

Thanks Natalie! I hope he makes a fast recovery, but I'm not sure he wants it so fast. He seems to be living up all the attention he's getting!  :nurse:  :D We'll see come Friday how far his healing is coming. 

• RichardRes likes this

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationWashington State
Oh no, poor boy! Poor you guys too! Sending positive vibes your way!
  • naturalfeddogs and RichardRes like this

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

How is he doing? 

• RichardRes likes this

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,282 posts

He's doing real well, considering the huge splint/cast on his whole leg. He's learning how to manuver on three legs. I am taking him back to the vet Friday for the splint to come off so they can check his healing. My fingers are crossed he is healing well. 

I know he has jumped down off of beds and counters a few times before we could get to him to help him down, so I hope that hasn't jarred anything in there. The splint is staying in place perfect.

• Prey Model Raw and Jordann like this

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,282 posts

Smokey went back to the vet yesterday to see how his healing is coming along. It had only been a week, so I didn't expect it to be 100%. He still has some movement at the break, so the splint is staying on for two more weeks this time. Hopefully there will be a bigger improvement then.

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

fingers are crossed for Smokey!! 

• naturalfeddogs likes this

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,282 posts

Update on Smokey......

We had another vet visit today. His leg seems stable, but to be safe one more week of a splint. Then, he will have a "moving" splint to where he will still have some support, but be able to start moving his hock a little. He has a pressure sore too, so rather than the "clam shell" type splint he did have to have, he now just has a regular splint to try to keep it from getting any worse. Other than that, it sounds like his healing is coming along.

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
It sounds like he's getting better! Fingers crossed that sore doesn't get worse!

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,282 posts

Yea, I'm worried about the sore too a little. That's why the vet splinted it this time like he did, to maybe keep some pressure off of it. But he also said that sores are gonna happen, and it won't be a big deal. It will heal fine. But, when it's all said and done I'm worried about the dogs licking it with the splint off and making it worse. 

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
Would Vetricyn help at all? I know it worked wonders on a hot spot Tank got before we switched.

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,282 posts

It probably would help. That's some good stuff. I'm sure I'll have to put something on it when the splint comes off.

• Jordann likes this

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
Tomorrow is the big day, right?

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,282 posts

Today we went back to the vet. Smokey's splint came off, and he just has a regular bandage on now. They want him to have some support while he starts to use that leg again. If it come off on it's on this week that's fine. If not, we can take it off in a week ourselves. So, basically he is officially healed! We still aren't sure he will be able to bend his hock 100% again, but even if he doesn't that's ok. We didn't have to amputate which is what we were worried about. 

• Jordann likes this

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
Glad to hear he's on the mend!

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
So happy to hear he's doing better! I'd imagine less mobility is better than nothing to have mobility in. :)
  • naturalfeddogs likes this

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,282 posts

His bandage will come off hopefully for good Saturday. We are going to take it off at home, so I will update again we have done that. I just hope the bandage comes off easily so I don't have to take him back to the vet again just for them to do that! 

Iorveth

Iorveth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

I don't know how I missed this. Glad to hear his recovery has gone well so far. I wouldn't worry about not having 100% mobility in the leg anymore. Animals learn to compensate for those kinds of things much better than people do. I'm just glad he's doing well!

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,282 posts

Wayne went ahead and took his bandage off yesterday. He said it had an odor starting up in it. I didn't smell anything but he already had it off when I got home from work. He still isn't really using it. He will put just a tad bit of weight on it when he is eating, or just standing there. Otherwise, he hops and won't use it. I'm not sure he is going to be able to bend his hock at all again, but that will be ok. 

This afternoon though, his foot and toes all seem to be pretty swollen and it is a little warm to the touch. We are going to give it a couple of days and see how it goes, if it gets any better. His foot isn't even what was broken. It was his upper leg that had the break, and a dislocated hock. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO