Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Hello From Los Angeles

california dachshunds los angeles

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Jennifer

Jennifer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Hello and Happy New Year! I'm Jennifer and I have 3 miniature Dachshunds named Pebbles, Reese and Dino. Pebbles and Reese are almost 3 and Dino is almost 2. He's our "big boy" coming in at 14lbs, which isn't very miniature! I started them on raw in late October and they have been eating chicken/cornish hens and whatever organs come with the whole chickens that I buy.

I live just outside Los Angeles, and I'm hoping to find some local (or even online resources) for other proteins and learn more about the best way to transition them :)Attached File  1.jpg   77.29KB   0 downloads

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationWashington State
Welcome, there is another not so mini 14 pound doxie.
You may be able to find a raw feeding co-op that can get you a large variety of food. :) Or make an ad on Craigslist or Facebook, or similar places. :)

Keep us posted on what you can find!

TRDmom

TRDmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Welcome! Even if you have to peruse the grocery store like I do, you can find meats that are on sale (about to expire) or other specials. My dog is 55 pounds and I'm able to feed him without it getting any more expensive than a premium dog food (actually, I still think its cheaper than the really high end brands, like Orijen). I would check out the Asian markets for things like duck (heart, feet, meat); their prices *usually* are more reasonable too. Being by LA, you have quite a bit of selection due to the cultural diversity and their culinary preferences. See if you can get a connection with a butcher in Chinatown, that might be a good way to go.

Jennifer

Jennifer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationSouthern California
Thanks Jordann! I've looked for a co-op in the area, and the it looks like SoCalBARF is the most prominent, and it's also ending in March. I've also looked into Creston Valley Meats and they have a good selection, but I'm still trying to figure out what's a "good price" for all the different types of proteins. I'll be sure to check out Facebook and Craigslist :)

Thanks for the tips TRDmom! I've been able to get some pretty good deals on whole chickens under a dollar a lb, and this week I'm hunting some pork necks. I've been to a few Asian markets and boy they have a great selection, but I was a bit sticker shocked since the organs and feet seemed much more expensive than I expected! I was thinking buying in bulk might be the way to go? I haven't ventured into Chinatown much but I'll check them out.

TRDmom

TRDmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts

I was able to get about a pound of duck hearts for $2, feet were about the same price. Chicken hearts and feet are about the same as duck, but just a bit cheaper. Calf and beef liver in my area (local grocery) is about $3/lb. Beef tongue can get expensive (usually $7/lb), so I haven't bought any. I have seen grass-fed beef heart from $3.50 - 10/lb (of course the cheaper range is over 3 hours from me!). I have only found duck at the Asian grocery store two hours away. I wish the Asian stores in town carried more meat. Since the local stores are smaller, they don't carry much meat and what is available tends to be expensive. :(

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

Welcome! Your doxies are adorable! Glad to have you!

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
Welcome to PMR!!! Love your pack, very cute!

Iorveth

Iorveth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Unfortunately, I started raw several months after I moved out of California so I am no help when it comes to sources, but I grew up in Temecula, a couple hours south of you!

I hope someone can help you find sources in your area. If you have the room, buying in bulk when you DO find something good can save you money in the long run as well as allow you to take advantage of that good find while it's available.

jagger

jagger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Can't help from Canada, but my oh my I love dachshund's, the badger dog.

Erica

Erica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

My family's in socal- my mom picks up meat from a lady in Acton that "gives away grocery-expired meat and asks only for a small donation of $6 per bag". I believe she's a breeder/boarder of some kind that picks up the meat for free.
  it DOESN'T matter what you put in the bag; and it's whatever you can stuff in the plastic bag. Chicken pork beef, etc. Last time I was down there for the holidays, my mom had beef brisket, ground beef, tons of chicken, and various boneless pork. The meat does kinda smell, but it's in no way bad. It's all frozen (which you should keep it, until you want to feed)

http://easytospot.bl...ot/raw-feeding/

Hope this helps! My mom gave us some food last christmas, just packed it in a cooler-and we still have PLENTY left over!

• Jordann likes this

Iorveth

Iorveth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts

You know, now that I think about it... There was that place you had to pass in order to get to the San Diego Wild Animal Park that raised ostriches and emus for meat. I wonder if there is anything they would be willing to do when they butcher birds or take them to be processed... They had fields full of ostriches and emus so, if I am remembering right, it wasn't some tiny operation.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: california, dachshunds, los angeles

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO