Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Switching To Raw

switch raw diet great dane german shepherd pomeranian switching new to raw

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
We get turkey necks for $.79 per pound here....chicken is $.50-.70 pp. beef heart is $1-1.30 pp

mizz.short

mizz.short

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Where do you live? And where do you get them from?

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationWashington State
I'm in Washington State. I get chicken leg quarters for 74-79 cents a pound from Walmart. Winco had whole turkies for 88 cents a pound last month. It did have a high sodium content, though. I go to a meat shop near me and they allow me to pick through the beef and pork scraps for free, so my beef and pork cost has been 0 lately. Elk and deer are free from people clearing out their freezers.

Where are you located? Have you posted on Facebook or Craigslist or similar places, looking for freezer burned or older meat?

Iorveth

Iorveth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts

If you are buying whole turkey, they tend to have more enhancement solutions almost than chicken. You can buy already cut up turkey parts, but check the whole ones first. 

Yes, be sure to check the turkeys before you buy them. We don't buy whole turkeys anymore but we went through a lot of them in the beginning. I wish I could remember which brand we were buying. It was one of the few that didn't have a lot of enhancement solution. I'm 97.4% it was from a local farm in our county.

Price depends on the protein. The turkey necks and beef heart we buy are under $1/lb which gives us the freedom to buy more expensive meats like lamb to widen the variety. We try to keep it as low as possible without sacrificing quality of the meat. This means really looking and always keeping an ear open for leads on new sources. We have so many random sources for so many different things. We get bulk turkey necks from one grocery store, beef heart from the NEX, duck eggs from a neighbor down the road, heads from a small butcher in a little "old town" type street, kidneys from the other side of the Sound, etc. Lots of places, sure, but they are nice and inexpensive and, other than the kidneys, are located in places that are on the way to or from other places we frequent which means no extra trips for just meat.

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
We live in Idaho. We order from a wholesale meat disteubutor and through a grocer called Fred Meyer

mizz.short

mizz.short

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
We are in Canada, I found a company that distributes the bony meet I'm looking for at a pretty decent price (Turkey necks 1.1$/lbs) I give Hunter about 3.3lbs or 1.5kg of Turkey Necks, liver and sardines a day. But he still seems hungry. He's not over weight, and has never been an over eater. I Know if I added another lb he would be satisfied but that would bring him to 4% of his weight and I don't want to over feed him as he's not very active. Should I just give him more?

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationWashington State
How is his body condition looking/feeling? You could try slowly increasing his intake. Are there red meats in his rotation yet? I've noticed with my boys they seem more full on red meats, than they do on poultry.just a thought. :)

mizz.short

mizz.short

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
He's looking great and feeling great! I have yet to introduce red meat into the diet, I have order a large quantity of beef necks I'm waiting for.. But maybe I should get some beef hearts or something at the store..
  • Jordann likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: switch, raw diet, great dane, german shepherd, pomeranian, switching, new to raw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO