Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Thinking We're Dealing With Allergies...

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

jagger

jagger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Day by day he's getting less itchy... He's losing the added weight as well since he's off the kibble.

Generally by the end of summer, he averages 9 1/2 pounds from all the extra exercise in the dog park, lean mean running machine. But he'll put on weight over the winter as he's not able to go out in the cold and exercise is limited. He's 12 pounds at the moment, down from 13 just in the last month.

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationWashington State
My boys tend to put on weight in the winter too, which is fine by me :)

Happy to hear the itching is slowing down!

jagger

jagger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Day 7 with no chicken or beef, and we have a new dog. He still scratches a little here and there, but the dry flaky skin is gone and the the fur seems to be coming back. I'm amazed at how fast we seen results. He's getting his last dose of ear drops tonite then a vet followup in the next couple of days. Think she's going to be a little shocked when she sees the results.

• naturalfeddogs and Jordann like this

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
That's so exciting! Can't wait to hear her reaction!

jagger

jagger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

So many nice changes in just over a week, he seems more relaxed and content.

We couldn't ever touch his paws, don't know if they were sore or sensitive but he would get mad if we touched them. Last night he was on my lap, rubbed his front paws for a while, didn't bother him at all. Found that really weird. Can diet really create sensitivity like this?

Noticed his eyes aren't weeping anymore, he was always rubbing his face on something to dry it off.

Scratching is minimal, ears are pink and dry...

I'm amazed at how fast these changes happened since getting him off chicken - is there another shoe to fall?

Wish we had switched to raw a long time ago. Feel bad for putting the little bugger through all that.

Iorveth

Iorveth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts

I WISH mine would put on weight in the winter! My guys have a metabolism that would make most people cry. Not one of the three is easy to put weight on and keep it on. It doesn't help that the high energy hound can be a Nervous Nellie that drops weight whenever he thinks something bad is happening. He's one of those dogs who has been with us from 8 weeks old but you'd think has abandonment issues. EVERY time we pack or unpack holiday stuff or put things in boxes, he flips out and drops weight like he thinks we're moving and going to leave him. Mind you, we've not been on a vacation in his lifetime either. He's never spent more than 8 hours in his crate at home. 

Anyways, I'm glad to hear the pup's doing better! Sure, you feel bad about putting him through all of that but we all have dogs that we have struggled with at one time or another and, while they might have spent a good chunk of time miserable, in the end, we find a way to alleviate the misery and give them the comfortable life we have been working to find. The time he has spent struggling with allergies was totally worth the time he will now get allergy free and the experience it gave you to help future dogs. We all have to have a guinea pig to start learning with.

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

Fantastic! Be sure to let us know what the vet says about the changes. 

jagger

jagger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Well, looks like he may have an issue with pork as well. Had a couple of 8" bones left in the freezer, gave them to him frozen to chew on over the last couple of days as a treat. There's a bit of meat on them, and he chews the ends off - now he's starting to scratch again.

So chicken for sure, pork is a possibility and maybe beef.

But overall, he's looking great. His tail stump is taking a bit to grow in but the rest is growing out nicely.

Not sure when these pics were taken, but this was typical for him. Dry skin, bald patches, notice his hind leg - he used to rake the leg with his teeth. Ears were patchy from scratching.

photo1_zpsf4a6ccb9.jpg

photo_zpsb807558f.jpg

photo2_zpsbf731c52.jpg

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
Have you tried lamb?

jagger

jagger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Have you tried lamb?

Not yet, but that's coming in the next couple of days. We need to find some bones for him to chew, but so far, not much luck.

Iorveth

Iorveth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Goat might be another option as well. When you do get to those, you'll have an easier time finding bones for him, I think, since they are smaller animals. I have never owned a small dog so I have never faced the dilemma of finding bones they can get through.

Have you tried duck? My guy who gets the runs with too much chicken and gets itchy with turkey can happily eat duck whether domestic or wild. Or what about guinea pig? They seem like a pet to most people but, in South America, they are food! We've fed them a few times but we don't have a source where we can get them regularly. We had to order the ones we did get from a place that raises them as meat animals. 

I know you need him to ingest bone for the nutrition as well as have bones to chew on for his teeth... Maybe duck, guinea pig, and rabbit for eating and goat or lamb bones for chewing on?

Allergies suck.

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
What about guinea hens?

I do not envy those with allergies.
  • Iorveth likes this

Iorveth

Iorveth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts

I love how many different protein sources you can get when you put a bunch of brains together.

• Jordann likes this

jagger

jagger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Well, we're at a loss here... Switched out the bison and started him on lamb a couple of weeks ago, seems to be getting worse again... How many friggin meats can a dog be allergic to?

As of tonite, he's on rabbit and bison for at least 2 weeks. While he was on the rabbit/bison combo, he was doing so well. He's healthy, skin is soft as silk but getting bald spots and scratching again. Eyes are weeping once again but his ears don't smell.

Getting frustrating.

Iorveth

Iorveth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Man, I'm sorry. Could it be where these meats are coming from? I know we don't all have the option or the money to get 100% grass fed meats but is there a way to know how the animal was raised. I know some people have had luck with grass fed meats when the dog was allergic to the same meat raised improperly.

I'll keep throwing out ideas as I think of them in the hopes that SOMETHING will help you and your pup find foods he can eat. I can't even imagine how frustrated you must be. We'll get there! Never fear!

jagger

jagger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

I don't know if the supplier is the issue, GF and I talked about it last night. We've been buying rabbit from both an asian and italian market, doesn't seem to have any effect.

Got the lamb from an asian market, don't know.

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
Have environmental allergies been ruled out? Have you changed your laundry soap, air fresheners, cleaning products, etc? I know they moved in recently, are you using anything different from what your girlfriend was using! What about any changes in his routine?

jagger

jagger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Have environmental allergies been ruled out? Have you changed your laundry soap, air fresheners, cleaning products, etc?

Think I can call bingo on that one. When the gf first moved in, she started using my arm and hammer laundry detergent - and this was while he was on rabbit/bison. He was doing wonderful.

He's back on the rabbit/bison combo but started getting worse again. He's chewing, going bald in some areas but his ears are still fine. His ears are the kicker, they were always wet with varying degrees of itchiness and moisture due to allergies but they are totally fine and haven't been cleaned in weeks. Has to be environmental.

GF switched back to those damn tide pods to do laundry a few weeks ago, thinking that's it... All his blankets and such are washed in the arm and hammer as of tonite.

Fingers crossed, I feel so bad for the little bugger.

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
I hope it is something as simple as the laundry detergent! Fingers and toes are crossed!

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
How is he doing?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO