Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Thinking We're Dealing With Allergies...

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

jagger

jagger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

He's still scratching and chewing. I just don't get it.

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

It does sound like it could be something other than food. Something in the environment. At this point, that's what I would guess, assuming you know you have fed enough fats and/or fish  oil for a reasonable amount of time. 

Maybe try an allergy med like zyrtec for some time and see what happens. 

You know for sure there isn't even one flea? They can play havoc on dogs who are allergic. 

Iorveth

Iorveth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Oh, fleas... Buck is allergic to them. We had a bad infestation a few years ago and both dogs (pre-Iorveth) had them. You never would have known Dude had fleas but Buck was itching and scratching all the time and we couldn't figure out why he had suddenly turned this way and we discovered fleas. They had him so itchy that he had bald spots in places. It was horrible. It was my first flea experience and I couldn't believe we didn't notice them right away!

jagger

jagger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

100% positive it's not fleas, dealt with infestations in the past...

His ears are still fine, that tells me it's probably not the food. We are going to start doing weekly baths - bit of sunlight soap, then a 10 minute soak in a rubdown of coconut oil mixed with some peppermint essential oil - then a rinse and a good buffing. Just finished up this procedure, dog is shiny and smells wonderful. See what happens with the scratching.

Iorveth

Iorveth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Good luck. I think about you guys every time I give my other two turkey while Iorveth stares at it like he wishes he could have some too and I wonder how the detective work is coming along. You WILL figure out the cause!

jagger

jagger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Maybe it's not allergies, been researching like a crazy man the last week and everythig fits with alopecia - very common in Miniature Pinscher. We are trying to track down the breeder at the moment to see if she can shed some light. It's a genetic thing, cosmetic and not dangerous. The regiment treatment is minor and not going to hurt to try...

Wish me luck.

jagger

jagger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Well, followed a minpin breeders website advice on bathing tonite to treat the symptoms of alopecia. Soak him in baby oil for an hour, he really doesn't mind being wrapped in a towel and cuddled at all :) Then a good scrubbing with palmolive to cut the oil, then we did a final shampoo with nizoral just in case. We are going to hit him with pure cod liver oil daily and provide raw fish daily to up his fatty acids.

Here's hoping... Right now, he's the worst he's ever been, big dry, flaky, bald spots and heavy scratching/chewing.

jagger

jagger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Sebaceous Adenitis is what we're thinking, not alopecia - alopecia is the hair loss, which he has.

Last nights treatment seemed to help some. Tonite the gf bought exfoliating gloves and he got a good rub down. Cleaned his bad spots with a soft toothbrush and melted coconut oil to get the rest of the crusted skin off. Now under a strong light, we can see that the pores in the bad areas are inflamed. Going to oral cod liver oil and flax oil for a week or so for the omega 3 and 6.

No chance on finding the so called breeder. GF's son bought him on a trip to BC, he was the runt in the litter of pups.

TRDmom

TRDmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Poor guy! I'm glad he's getting some relief.

jagger

jagger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Poor guy! I'm glad he's getting some relief.

Hopefully he is...

Gave him another oil soak and full bath but finished him off with a homemade oatmeal shampoo. Checked his dry spots before the bath and they were dry and crusty again so it's going to take a bit for this to work I suspect. He's still scratching parts of his body, but surprisingly his ears are still pink, perfect and no smell.

Skin conditions are not uncommon in Miniature Pinchers, so if you're going to get one, try to get one with good genetics. This little guy isn't going anywhere, we'll do what it takes to keep him healty - he's wrapped so badly around around our hearts. Hurts me to see him not well.

Be glad when spring hits, lack of good dog park exercise probably isn't helping matters.

Please, if anyone has any ideas or have personally dealt with skin conditions, throw them my way. I'm all ears. Gf is going to book an appointment with the vet, see if they can take a biopsy to confirm.

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationWashington State
Have you looked into Using essential oils on him? I know there are some that help with dry flaky skin. Can't remember what they are now, as I skimmed over it in reading, but it may be worth looking into, maybe a tea tree or lavender for the anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties?

I'm sorry you're dealing with this. I hope answers come soon!

jagger

jagger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

We have a lavender cream for dogs, no effect. Used peppermint essential oil a couple of times this week. Used a teeny bit of polysporin on his red spots last night, seems to be looking better this morning.

So far the scratching has decreased, will keep an eye on him.

• Jordann likes this

jagger

jagger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Anyhow, his skin is looking so much better tonite and the scratching has become less. His tail stump is completely bald but free from scaling and sores now. He slept through the night last night for the first time in a long time. I sleep like a rock, gf sleeps light and feels him scratching so she had a great night of sleep as well. He sleeps under the covers. Wish I could have taken some good macro pictures but the camera just didn't want to cooperate.

If you have a short haired dog, exfoliating gloves are great. He loves being rubbed down with them, actually moans, and there's alot of dead skin coming off in dandruff form.

• Jordann likes this

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
I hope this solves the itching issues!

Who doesn't love extra cuddling? :lol:

jagger

jagger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

I hope this solves the itching issues!

Who doesn't love extra cuddling? :lol:

Oh he just hates being cuddled... lol

Bath again tonite, but changed it up. Scrub first with nizoral, then an hour soak with baby oil, then scrub with palmolive. Added some coconut oil and vitamin E oil (broken up capsules) to the oatmeal bath for a final scrub so there's still oil residue on him. The pores around the bald areas have lost the brownish tinge and are looking healthy and clear again. Scratching is less and less but the next day or two should be decisive.

GF is on the fence about biopsy, not sure if she wants to put him through it. Have an appointment next week to see if a blood or genetic test can diagnose. I suspect his hair will be growing back by then so it may be moot.

I've been refraining from posting too much til this is solved, starting to feel like a bit of a failure on the raw side of things... :wacko:

jagger

jagger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Another round tonite, same as last time.

Seems we're getting a bit of a turnaround. Seeing some hair growth on his tail and the loss of hair seems to be slowing down some. He's not scratching or chewing anywhere near as much. He was digging at his ears, the vet said to treat him with the leftover mometamax if his ears flare up again so here we go again. I don't like using the stuff, extended use can make a dog deaf but it works very well on infections.

He was having issues pooping today, passed a rather large bowel movement and yelped in the process. Started him back on some beef as he's been on rabbit for a long time now. I don't think the major chunk of this is allergy related anymore.

Fingers crossed that this is the end of all this BS.

jagger

jagger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Well, little update here... It's all very frustrating.

Allergies - don't think so anymore. Have him back on beef and pork with no positive or negative change.

Adenitis  - court is still out, baths haven't been working so well, he's losing more fur. Not much dog to begin with really.

His unaffected skin and coat are amazingly soft. Sat down with the GF last night and ran through his entire diet before and after raw, realized he's been vitamin deficient for quite a long time. Vitamin E is near non existent in his current diet, top that off with fish oil we've been feeding. Stab in the dark.

Over the last few days, he's been getting vitamin supplements with added vitamin E. We have extended the bath periods, been covering the bald spots with vitamin E and it has decreased the scratching and chewing.

Sounds silly, but it's another shot in the dark.

jagger

jagger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Another update...

Hair is growing back, not evenly but it's definitely growing in. Chewing and licking a little still but it could be grooming, and we're overreacting.

Put him back on beef, no issues. Pork, no issues. Started feeding him chicken wings tonite, if there's no reaction - then it's no allergies.

• naturalfeddogs likes this

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

Let us know how it goes with the chicken!

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
How has chicken been going? How is he doing?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO