Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Why I'll NEVER give a dog a marrow bone

* * * * * 1 votes raw feeding marrow bone rec bone raw bone broken tooth pmr

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

jdatwood

jdatwood

Administrator

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationRathdrum, ID

We talk about this all the time but I wanted to post up pictures so our story feels a little more real.

A year ago we had to have one of Shiloh's main chewing teeth removed. Natalie noticed that Shiloh was getting tartar built up on the left side and upon further investigation we found her upper carnasial tooth was horizontally fractured. We had to have the entire tooth removed.

I think seeing it makes it a little more realistic

2010-08-26_1356.png

Fortunately Natalie works as a vet tech and we get our services at a discount. I would have hated to have had to pay full price to have this tooth extracted. Marrow bones are NOT worth the risk to me, EVER. Without even taking the cost into account, Shiloh now has to suffer the rest of her life not being able to chew as well on one side of her mouth.

• BeagleCountry likes this

dalvers63

dalvers63

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

One of the first things I learned was to NOT give the dogs any weight bearing bones of the large herbivores which is where most marrow bones come from. Even raw they can cause problems.

Thanks for posting this, it is the second dog that I know of who has fractured a tooth on a large bone!

• jdatwood likes this

Wolfsnaps

Wolfsnaps

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Back before I knew better (and lets face it, we all had to learn at some point) I fed marrow bones. And then my mastiff cracked one in half. I could not believe he had done that! I was so grateful he didn't break a tooth and that was the last time any of my dogs got one of those. 

Zeddicus

Zeddicus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationDiscordia

I stay away from ALL beef bones. I unfortunately had both of my dogs break molars off of beef ribs! One of my dogs I should have know better, he has weak enamel. The other one had perfect strong nice molars but now one is chipped and I have to brush it daily to keep free of plaque where all his other teeth get scrubbed by bone, the place where it chipped is grooved now so it has indentions to hold more plaque.

• jdatwood likes this

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

Beef bones are the the only ones I don't feed as well. They are just all too dense compared to others.

• jdatwood likes this

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
Yep, beef bones, bison bones and elk (leg bones) are a no no in our house!
  • jdatwood and naturalfeddogs like this

taquitos

taquitos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Quebec

I don't feed marrow bones, but I do give beef neck bones. I honestly didn't know that even beef neck bones were too dense for dogs! Should I stop giving it to my dog? :|

Zeddicus

Zeddicus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationDiscordia

I don't feed marrow bones, but I do give beef neck bones. I honestly didn't know that even beef neck bones were too dense for dogs! Should I stop giving it to my dog? :|

Each dog is different and I know there are plenty of people who feed ribs and other non weight bearing bones from large animals with no problem. Becuase I have had my dogs both crack teeth on beef ribs I will never feed any beef bones unless ground into muscle meat. It is not worth the risk when there are so many other softer bones that they can have.

I would have no problem feeding beef ribs if my dog was a very soft chewer and just pulled meat off and nibbled the bone a bit, Both of my dogs see bones as food to be chewed up and swallowed.

On a side note one of my kitties cracked of a big piece of his moler off eating a chicken drumstick. So I do not feed large poultry weight bearing bones to my kitties. ;) I won't feed whole wild duck to them either cause the bones are so darn hard. 

• jdatwood likes this

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

Just like Zeddicus posted, it all depends on the individual. I have powerhouse chewers that have a history of breaking teeth. So I avoid giving dense bones that could potentially crack or break their teeth. 

This is an instance when the concept of "know thy dog" comes in real handy! 

• jdatwood, naturalfeddogs and Zeddicus like this

Zeddicus

Zeddicus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationDiscordia

Just like Zeddicus posted, it all depends on the individual. I have powerhouse chewers that have a history of breaking teeth. So I avoid giving dense bones that could potentially crack or break their teeth. 

This is an instance when the concept of "know thy dog" comes in real handy!

I completely agree!! I have said this so many times, in order to let your animals succeed at raw feeding you need to pay attention and know what works for them.
  • Prey Model Raw likes this

amie s

amie s

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

I gave my boxers some beef shank bones the other day specifically for the marrow in them. The bones were only about and inch thick if that and they never attempted to eat the bones only get the marrow out. They are very new to raw feeding (as in the last week) so I thought they were safe. I think I will continue to do this occasionally since I watched them the whole time and they never attempted to actually eat the bone. anyone have thoughts on that, I mean is this an appropriate case of 'knowing they dog'?

• jdatwood and Zeddicus like this

Zeddicus

Zeddicus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationDiscordia
Yea, absolutely!

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

I gave my boxers some beef shank bones the other day specifically for the marrow in them. The bones were only about and inch thick if that and they never attempted to eat the bones only get the marrow out. They are very new to raw feeding (as in the last week) so I thought they were safe. I think I will continue to do this occasionally since I watched them the whole time and they never attempted to actually eat the bone. anyone have thoughts on that, I mean is this an appropriate case of 'knowing they dog'?

Yep, but always keep in mind that even the gentle chewer can slip up and chomp a bone hard enough to crack or break a tooth. So, there is always a chance that it *could* happen. 

That aside, I would hold off giving any marrow bones until after you introduce beef about 6 weeks into the transition. 

amie s

amie s

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Yep, but always keep in mind that even the gentle chewer can slip up and chomp a bone hard enough to crack or break a tooth. So, there is always a chance that it *could* happen. 

That aside, I would hold off giving any marrow bones until after you introduce beef about 6 weeks into the transition. 

Ah, yes the transition. I did not do well on this. My dogs have been eating the occasional frozen raw bone for several years and even eat plenty of freeze dried beef liver treats and raw eggs. I didn't think it would be a problem. I jumped right into the raw thing and perhaps I should have transitioned better. (see my other post) I am going to go back to the beginning and start over.

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

Ah, yes the transition. I did not do well on this. My dogs have been eating the occasional frozen raw bone for several years and even eat plenty of freeze dried beef liver treats and raw eggs. I didn't think it would be a problem. I jumped right into the raw thing and perhaps I should have transitioned better. (see my other post) I am going to go back to the beginning and start over.

Yep, I seen this happen multiple times before. Dogs who have been supplemented with raw bones and goodies have issues once fully switched over to nothing but raw foods. Sometimes it helps them transition faster and smoother and sometimes it doesn't help. 

Keep us posted on how things go! 

XenaXander

XenaXander

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Hi, I'm new to raw feeding and I'm so glad I found this forum, because I need all the help I can get!  This thread is exactly what I'm talking about.

My 9 year old GSD/Golden Retriever mix, Remy, is missing about 6 of his upper teeth.  I'd first thought he had really inflamed gums (Sable, my 10 year old cattle dog/pit mix just came from the vet with the diagnosis of horrible tartar and inflamed gums) but upon closer inspection I was horrified to discover they've been neatly sheared off at the gumline!  I used to get them those bleached/filled bones from the pet store.  I hate myself for that, knowing what I know now.  I trusted that the pet store wouldn't sell anything dangerous for my pets. :( 

The vet wanted me to pay $175 for teeth cleaning for Sable (after telling me she was in perfect health otherwise) and I balked, since I'd just paid them $447 for her annual wellness check.  I also didn't want to put her through that - she's a pretty sensitive dog (she's a rescue who was horribly abused).  So I started looking into raw feeding.  I discovered that raw bones are not only safe for them, but healthy too!  Even though Remy is missing those teeth he can still crunch into chicken backs and wings with gusto.

I had another lesson-learned moment with him last night, though.  Attempting to add variety to their diet (I've since realized I did that too soon, after re-reading the guide to starting raw feeding-sigh) I fed meaty beef ribs.  Sable delicately chewed on hers, pulling the meat off while holding the bone in place with her paws.  But Remy went to town - I think he thought it was like chicken.  I heard several loud cracks and then, before I could get the bone away from him, he swallowed it whole!  I am kicking myself for being so stupid, but he was so good with the chicken I thought he'd be ok with the beef.  I'm watching him like a hawk to see if he becomes obstructed (he swallowed part of a dog toy he found under the couch several years ago and had to have it removed from his intestine, so I'm well-versed in what his "I've got something stuck in my innards" symptoms are) and I can guarantee he will never get any kind of beef bone again!

They've been on Kirkland Lamb and Rice for most of their lives (I thought it was a quality food!) but when my boyfriend and I started eating healthier, we realized that way of thinking should extend to our "kids" as well. I can't believe how horribly they've been eating all these years, and I thought I was being a good pet owner.  I makes me sick to my stomach.  

I started out by feeding them homemade meals about 3 months ago, then switched to Honest Kitchen raw for about a week while I researched the different raw diet models.  They just completed their first week of the prey model diet and we are all still adjusting!  I'm a vegetarian so handling the meat is a little hard for me, but the dogs are happier than ever at mealtime!  And my efforts to not do any more stupid things with their diets have been redoubled...

• GimMom likes this

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
Welcome XenaXander! Glad you found this forum!

Definitely keep us posted on if your pup has any issues with that beef rib bone!

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

I have one who I know can get through beef neck bones, but he's the only one and that is really the only beef bones I feed. And thats only when I luck up and get them for free off someone. I won't buy them. It really just depends on your dog. For the most part, I just stay away from beef bones.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: raw feeding, marrow bone, rec bone, raw bone, broken tooth, pmr

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO