Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Pig Head

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

lilasmom

lilasmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationCentral Texas

I have been doing a bit of research on meat sources outside my co-op and came across some potentials. This one farm I am looking at sells pig heads for ten dollars each. Is that expensive for a pig head? Do you think a ten pound dog would be able to handle a head from a 15-30 pound pig? The head skin and ears look pretty tough, and I have never seen a raw pig head in person. Also, do you think a ten pound dog could handle pig feet? Their pigs range from 15-120+ lbs so I can probably pick what size feet, but worse case scenario will large pig feet be safe? I know it is important to avoid weight bearing bones from ungulates like horses and cows, but are pigs ok?

Bogart

Bogart

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Even if your dog won't be able to eat the whole head, I think it will be worth it simply because of the mental stimulation. Plopping a big head in front of your dog and letting them figure out what to do with it is so much fun to watch as well.

I gave my 10 kg dog a sheep head (no skin though) and he had lots of fun with it. I eventually threw it away, but he punctured the eyes, ate the cheeks, back of the head and the whole jaw.

• lilasmom and SuperPug like this

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

Haha...those are small pigs! When we have butchered hogs in the past they weigh at least 600 pounds. Their heads weigh like 50# or more! 

I'd say yes, get one head and try it out. BUT I would definitely recommend feeding it when it's cool out, not when it's hot or it'll turn bad really fast. 

You may also feed her the pig's head over the course of a week, but offering it and then putting it on ice or in a fridge until the next day. Our dogs can clean a 80 pound pig's head in about 3 days in the winter. 

539731_10151522422335934_1248187679_n.jp

• lilasmom likes this

lilasmom

lilasmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationCentral Texas

Awesome! I am going to go ahead and get one or two and will post some pics of my dogs going at it :)

• Prey Model Raw likes this

Oso

Oso

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

I want one soooo bad!!! They sell them at the mexican store and I want to get one! Its still 106+ outside during the day so idk if its a good idea to attempt to feed it this time of year :/

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

I want one soooo bad!!! They sell them at the mexican store and I want to get one! Its still 106+ outside during the day so idk if its a good idea to attempt to feed it this time of year :/

I'd wait until it gets cooler or you're going to have one hell of a stinky mess on your hands. Like I posted above, it takes a few days for the girls to clean a head like that so we only feed when there's snow on the ground. 

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

I have been doing a bit of research on meat sources outside my co-op and came across some potentials. This one farm I am looking at sells pig heads for ten dollars each. Is that expensive for a pig head? Do you think a ten pound dog would be able to handle a head from a 15-30 pound pig? The head skin and ears look pretty tough, and I have never seen a raw pig head in person. Also, do you think a ten pound dog could handle pig feet? Their pigs range from 15-120+ lbs so I can probably pick what size feet, but worse case scenario will large pig feet be safe? I know it is important to avoid weight bearing bones from ungulates like horses and cows, but are pigs ok?

Pig feet are pretty dense. Try one and see. If nothing else, yours will be able to eat the meat off of them. When my aussies eat them, they are doing some pretty hard crunching, and our old girl, Lucky is a hound mix and she doesn't seem to be able to get through them at all. But like I said, try an see then go from there.

• lilasmom likes this

lilasmom

lilasmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationCentral Texas

Ok I think pig feet may be too hard for them, my biggest is only about ten pounds.

GoingPostal

GoingPostal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

We just fed off our pig head to make freezer space and I just took it in and out of the freezer for a few days and let each dog work on it for an hour or so.  Only problems we had was they puked up pig hair and Ripley tried to bury it when I left her too long.  They were both filthy.  Our head was probably only 20 pounds or so.  150# pig. 

amie s

amie s

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

So, I knew this is a silly question, but do they really know what to do with all that hair? Was it a big learning curve?

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

I'd stay away from pig feet as they're not that nutritional for dogs. Lots of bone and connective tissue. Not to mention the only time our dogs have had them they got HORRIFIC gas. 

So, I knew this is a silly question, but do they really know what to do with all that hair? Was it a big learning curve?

Well, the hair doesn't digest, which is why dogs tend to puke hair back up. When we've fed pig heads to the dogs, we end up with the occasional "hairball" or we will see what we call "hair poops" which is pretty much a bowel movement of nothing but hair! What happens is that the dog is able to digest everything but the hair and that is all that's left. 

I would say that pig heads are NOT for the newbie raw eating dog. Maybe a year or so after transition should something like this be added in....depending on the dog. 

Oso

Oso

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

I'd wait until it gets cooler or you're going to have one hell of a stinky mess on your hands. Like I posted above, it takes a few days for the girls to clean a head like that so we only feed when there's snow on the ground. 

:( if I have to wait for snow that'll never happen! Lol but its kind of cooling down, we have our monsoon and maybe it will start getting nicer soon.. hopefully.. maybe I could just get a small sheep head from the asian market? Might be more appropriate sized for a quicker feed and it wont go bad as fast 

StanleysMum

StanleysMum

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

I can buy half a pig's head easily for about NZ$3. Stanley loves them and it takes him ages to get through, lots of mental stimulation. He even ate the teeth the last time which I was a bit worried about as he didn't do that the time before, but they must've come out the other end although I didn't notice them in his poos.

Because it is cut in half the brain is exposed and that tends to go fairly quickly along with the eyes and snout. Pork gives him really bad gas though!!

• naturalfeddogs likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO