Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Brand New To Raw

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

Awesome picture! It looks like it should be in a calendar.

• Jordann and SPooMom like this

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationWashington State
What a handsome boy!
  • SPooMom likes this

Iorveth

Iorveth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Don't be afraid to weigh his meals at first. Not all of us have an eye for meat weight. I know I don't. My husband can grab a bunch of meat and it's within a few ounces of what each dog is supposed to get. I don't have that knack. However, after 4 years of raw feeding, I can feed my dogs without weighing because I have an eye for body condition. I don't use the meat weight to "weigh" out their food. I use their actual bodies to decide when to stop feeding them that meal. That may mean a smaller meal today and a slightly larger meal tomorrow but, over time, they stay in a nice condition that I like.

I weighed their meals for probably a year until I realized how much easier it was for me to do it the way I do it now. DH still goes by guessing how much each meal weighs.

• SPooMom likes this

SPooMom

SPooMom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationUpstate New York
It's been a raw feeding focused week! Freezer came Thursday and Friday I picked up a giant box of chicken backs from our local farmers co-op - or at least I thought I was getting chicken backs - turns out it was the whole carcass with breast bone! Too big to fit in my containers, so I spent two hours yesterday separating breasts from backs. Live and learn (again)!

Is it ok to feed the breast bone part of the carcass?

Soon I will be introducing turkey. Getting the necks prepared today and have some wings on order with my butcher. πŸ˜ƒ Pasha is taking to the new diet like an old pro. Fun to see!

Here's a current pic - at our local golf course, dogs are allowed off lead - he loves to run (and play in water and collect burrs, thus the slush combat suit)!!
VOw9JJD.jpg

SPooMom

SPooMom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Just seeing comments now - thanks for support and suggestions! I appreciate input from all of you with experience. Pasha is definitely benefiting!!🐩🐾❀️

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts

Great picture!

• SPooMom likes this

Erica

Erica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Gorgeous boy! Glad everything is going so well! :)

PS - We've only seen a handful of poodles around here; each and everyone Max had been TOTALLY googly-eyed all over them (whether or not they were male or female..lol!!)

• SPooMom likes this

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
Yes, it's ok to feed the breast bone. :) Whole carcasses are a favorite here. They get a mental workout with having to chew. I am able to take food from them and they don't fight or fuss about it. :)

I am in love with standard Poodles. Every one I have met has been the goofiest, sweetest dog and so happy. Love it! One day we will have one. My husband has only said no white animals because they always look dirty, especially when we are clearing land at our property ... Would end up with a grey/brown dog. :lol:
  • SPooMom likes this

SPooMom

SPooMom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Pasha's my first Standard Poodle and I'm a huge fan!! He retrieves, he plays, trains easily, doesn't shed or have doggy odor AND he's adorable (loves his stuffed animals)! Blacks and whites are truest to type, so if you don't want white, go for a gorgeous black!

Q26dDtX.jpg
  • Jordann likes this

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
I tend to gravitate to black dogs. I will take whatever picks me, though. I've been looking at livestock guardians for when we move to our property and the ones I've been looking at are white or an off white. :lol: Poor hubby will just have to deal. :)
  • SPooMom likes this

SPooMom

SPooMom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I never knew Spoos could work as livestock guardians - though I have heard some make excellent herders. Certainly a versatile breed! Always fun to think about adding a new family member.🐾🐾🐾

Iorveth

Iorveth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Yep, we feed every bone in the chicken. Buck actually gets a whole chicken about once a week. We literally just toss the whole carcass in there and he crunches right through it. I imagine there would be some bones that the smallest of dogs might struggle with but a Standard Poodle should do just fine!

I know what you mean about the no shedding and no odor although mine is for a very different reason! My guy is hairless and, because he is lotion routinely, he always smells like cocoa butter or coconut oil. It's really something to be able to cuddle with a dog and have no hair left behind on your clothes or the couch or whatever there is to shed on!

• SPooMom likes this

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts

I never knew Spoos could work as livestock guardians ...

I should have been more clear, I'm sorry. The livestock guardian breeds I've been looking into are Great Pyrs, Maremmas, Kuvasz (looks like its spelled wrong, but it's 2:30 am and I'm tired), and a few others. The Poodle (or whatever dog chooses us when the time is right) would be a farm dog/companion dog. :)
  • SPooMom likes this

SPooMom

SPooMom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

I should have been more clear, I'm sorry. The livestock guardian breeds I've been looking into are Great Pyrs, Maremmas, Kuvasz (looks like its spelled wrong, but it's 2:30 am and I'm tired), and a few others. The Poodle (or whatever dog chooses us when the time is right) would be a farm dog/companion dog. :)

AHA, that makes sense!  Whoever chooses you will be happy to work.  And maybe the poodle could retrieve some water fowl for you and the rest of the crew.  ;-)

Today is intro to turkey day!  Doing it during dinner so I can monitor any immediate issues and observe output in the morning.  And I scored a local(ish) source for quantities of grass fed green tripe - kind of funny what makes my day!  Also getting some raw trachea from the same supplier to give a whirl once we're done introducing proteins.

SPooMom

SPooMom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Turkey is a hit! No issues so far. Though one neck was so large, I cut it in two, after some effort with a new meat cleaver (pant pant).πŸ˜… Notice the veggies on his collar (dramatic irony).😜

jeMxbbP.jpg
BDnsJ9K.jpg
SgLysRW.jpg
  • Jordann likes this

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts

Looks like he enjoyed that turkey neck!

• SPooMom likes this

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
That collar is hilarious!

Looks like he loved the neck, I'm glad he's loving raw so far! :)
  • SPooMom likes this

peppersmom1889

peppersmom1889

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationAnchorage AK

Beautiful dog! Looks like he is taking to raw like a pro :)

• SPooMom likes this

SPooMom

SPooMom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Protein introduction update - last night was fish night!  Another food he loves loves loves - canned sardines.  And output this morning was fine.  I thought this might be the tricky one but he was keenly interested when I was opening the can and putting the fish in his bowl and then did not wait for my release to start eating (he's supposed to sit and wait until I tell him ok).  My one issue is finding sardines with low sodium - does anyone have suggestions?  I checked Amazon and of course I can order them (and get Prime shipping as well) but prices aren't great.  At my market, all the canned fish seems to have added salt.    

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
Oddly enough, I found canned fish in water with no added sodium at the dollar tree.
  • SPooMom likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO