Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Brand New To Raw

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

Iorveth

Iorveth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts

This doesn't really help anyone with no military connections but, if you do, we get canned sardines in water with no salt at the commissary. We did struggle to find them anywhere else. We prefer whole sardines we get from our co-op but sometimes we run out before the next order so we give canned since that's Iorveth's favorite part of his meals as well as fish oil.

• SPooMom likes this

SPooMom

SPooMom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationUpstate New York

Thanks for the sardine suggestions!  I checked our local Dollar Tree and they only had sardines in mustard sauce.  No luck with low-sodium in water!!  Althought I'm sure their inventory changes often so it might be worth rechecking from time to time.  My parents have friends with military connections and are invited to go to the local commissary at least once a year.  I'll ask them about sardines the next time they go!  I'm going to stop by Trader Joe's and see what their prices are - looks like they carry a no salt added variety.  Otherwise looks like Amazon's deal of about $2.00 a can is the best I can do! 

• Iorveth likes this

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationWashington State
Have you looked into a raw feeding co-op, or looked into getting whole, frozen sardines? Maybe from a grocery store?

SPooMom

SPooMom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

On the hunt for whole sardines - so far no luck!  My local grocery doesn't get sardines, only smelt.  I do see that Oma's Pride sells them (and mackerel as well) and I think my local obedience club may have a co-op that orders their products, so that's my next query.  I'm soaking the canned sardines in water before feeding to get rid of some of the salt (I read somewhere that it helps) but it would be fun to get the whole fish!  Thanks for all the suggestions!! 

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
Good luck in your search!

I'm glad Pasha is loving everything you give him!

SPooMom

SPooMom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

It's been a busy week so no chance to update!  All is going well.  Intro to pork (frozen for 2 weeks) has been fine (started last Wed).  When I see cuts under $2.00/lb (my dollar amt rationale is based on what it used to cost me when he was on Acana which was over $3.00/lb), I buy, portion and freeze.  Bought a pork shoulder a couple of weeks ago at $1.69/lb, no salt added, hormone free, all natural, etc. I've decided against pork bones because he's getting enough bone with chicken and turkey and I don't want to risk chipping a tooth.  I also found a raw dog food supplier in PA who has 2 day shipping to NY, so ordered lots of "fun" food from them (whole fish, beef and pork hearts, chicken feet, beef liver and kidney) - stocking up for the next round of intros.  My issue now is remembering to rotate foods so that over time he gets a balanced diet!!  And he loves everything (except egg shells but oh well, it had to be something)!  Next week I intro beef and then in few weeks, organs.  Organs may be my biggest challenge but who knows, maybe he will love them too.  I'll keep you posted!

So physical changes I've noticed so far - teeth are becoming very clean.  Poodle teeth are notoriously bad so I'm so happy and relieved to see the bones and tripe are doing their job.  His skin is extremely flaky but I'm thinking it could be detox or the extremely cold, dry weather we're having in the northeast (my skin is flaky too).  He does get salmon oil every day.  And the behavioral changes I've noticed are increased calmness even with the lack of exercise due to extreme cold (our limit is the teens but it's been single digits and below zero wind chill, so only indoor play for exercise) - and he doesn't chase his tail anymore.  For frame of reference, Pasha is not quite 2 years old - still maturing and building pathways in his brain!   

• naturalfeddogs and Jordann like this

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
I am so happy he is switching so easily for you! You finally found something he isn't crazy about! I am waiting for Tank to snub something. :lol: Can't believe beef and pork intros are coming up already, seems like you just switched him a few weeks ago! Time flies. lol
  • SPooMom likes this

SPooMom

SPooMom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Whole fish arrived today so I'll offer some for dinner tonight.  So far he's only had canned sardines and fresh smelt (but gutted and heads removed).  Old protein, new adventure!  Yes, it's hard to believe we're in the middle of week 5.  It is going by fast but I think it's because how easy you all have made it for newbies with the Getting Started formula and follow up advice!  Many thanks.  I'll post an update once Pasha is introduced to beef.  I bought hearts so I know small portions are the way to go!! 

• naturalfeddogs and lovemyboys88 like this

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

I'm so glad all is going so well for you!  :thumbsu:

• SPooMom likes this

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
Cannot wait to hear how he accepted the new foods. :)
  • SPooMom likes this

SPooMom

SPooMom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

The new diet continues to go smoothly!  Intro to beef (heart) went without a hitch and no tummy distress at all.  And he loves whole fish!  I don't think he can decide which food is his favorite - though tripe does get some drooling.  Next week, intro to organs.  Fingers crossed it goes as well as everything else - though I suppose if it doesn't, I can't really complain! 

• naturalfeddogs likes this

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

It sounds like so far so good! When you intro organs, give a very, very tiny amount in the beginning, and work up.

• SPooMom likes this

SPooMom

SPooMom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Intro to beef liver went fine last night - I included small pieces in his dinner of fish and tripe.  It's interesting to me that he used to be cautious with new foods (kibble and treats), tasting, spitting out, retasting until deciding whether he liked it or not.  With this raw diet, the only time he did that was with his very first meal.  I'm not sure he even noticed the liver last night!  And no poops this morning (poops have diminished over time, now it's one, sometimes two a day) so I guess we've avoided cannon butt so far.  I think it's been helpful with all these food introductions to have tripe every day.  The stuff smells horrendous but it doesn't linger once the bowl is empty!   

• Jordann likes this

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
So egg shells are the only thing he hasn't liked yet? That's quite a happy raw dog right there! I'm happy he is still doing so awesome with the switch! My guys were easy changes too. :)
  • SPooMom likes this

SPooMom

SPooMom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

I truly wasn't expecting it to be this easy!  Pasha is a very happy raw dog!!  So yes, eggshells are the only things he doesn't like to eat and it's probably a texture thing - if I ground them up he would likely eat them.  Tonight will be day 3 of added liver and poops are still fine.  The pattern I've settled into (which seems to work great) is boney meal in the morning and meaty meal with organ bits in the evening.  I'm still feeding salmon oil and tripe every day (tripe as part of the meaty meal).  What do people think of raw goat's milk?  I've read that it's another "perfect" food but wonder if it's a good idea to supplement - or will it be over supplementing?     

• Jordann likes this

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
I don't have any experience with goat milk. I have seen lots of people give it, though. Right now my boys don't get any supplements because they are eating grass fed red meats as most of their diet. I believe goat milk has probiotics, but I could be wrong.

gsdrulz

gsdrulz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Just curious what the name of the supplier in pa with two day shipping to ny. Thanks in advance 😀

SPooMom

SPooMom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hare Today Gone Tomorrow - I've had a great experience with them - food is still frozen when it arrives and I'm glad I don't have to be in a co-op to order - it's just easier!

I have not been on the forum lately but Pasha is still doing great with raw. Using Honest Kitchen Love for our pet sitter and groomer when she takes him on the road - and here and there when I forget to defrost his food!
  • naturalfeddogs likes this

TRDmom

TRDmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts

I don't have any experience with goat milk. I have seen lots of people give it, though. Right now my boys don't get any supplements because they are eating grass fed red meats as most of their diet. I believe goat milk has probiotics, but I could be wrong.

Raw goat milk has probiotics. Pasteurization kills both the bad and good bacteria. I am able to get raw goat milk (for us humans) from a local lady, so its very fresh, plus I know how the goats are cared for and the milk is collected. Occasionally the dog gets some as a treat. He seems to enjoy it and hasn't gotten an upset stomach. 

Iorveth

Iorveth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts

You know, we drink raw milk from Guernseys not far from us and, while we never gave the dogs enough milk to make them sick, they tended to get a little gassy. They get raw milk a lot more often than they got pasteurized and we've never had any gassy issues. Iorveth LOVES raw milk and seems to think that he needs some too every time I get the gallon out. He's spoiled so he usually does... Ha

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO