Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Trouble Getting Newly Switched Dog To Eat Liver?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

SoFlayRoud

SoFlayRoud

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
My picky eater, an Alaskan malamute, was switched to raw because she doesn't like any kibble on the market, but she isn't interested in liver at all. What should I do to coax her into eating the 5% of liver in here diet that she needs?
I've tried changing it up small and mixing it with chunked up pork but that didn't even catch here attention.
  • Charlespymn likes this

jagger

jagger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts
Some people freeze it to change the texture, I'll be trying that tomorrow. Our minpin doesn't like the texture of it, I'll cube it, boil it for a few seconds just enough to change the color and texture but it's still raw. He loves it that way.

SoFlayRoud

SoFlayRoud

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I'll have to try it boiled just a little for her. Maybe I'll give her a small amount every few meals instead of a full liver meal

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

Sometimes you just have to force it down, like you would if you gave meds.

jagger

jagger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Well, little bugger made a liar out of me this morning. Lightly boiled liver and kidney, ate one piece and turned his nose up at the rest. Will freeze some and try it later.

I couldn't imagine force feeding him.

Edit: fed him a piece of each kidney and liver frozen solid and he seemed to like it. Hope that keeps on. Pancreas and heart he will take thawed.

TRDmom

TRDmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts

My dog willingly eats just about everything other than liver. I'm not a fan of dropping it down the back of his throat (that's always a pretty easy way to get bit, depending on the dog). I bought a cheap dehydrator online and put the liver in that for about 4 hours (crisp on the outside, still soft inside). This is the only way he's eaten it willingly (ice hard, popsicle hard, to thawed--he didn't like it). I would also offer liver before any of the other food to force him to eat it. After the liver is gone, he gets the rest of his meal.

SoFlayRoud

SoFlayRoud

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Has anyone tried to grind it with other meats? I considered it...but I dunno I feel like like it'll turn to mush.
I don't really want to give her ground stuff(she loves to rip and tear her food up)...but if it gets her to eat liver I guess it'll be Okay for a few meals a week

SoFlayRoud

SoFlayRoud

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Has anyone tried to grind it with other meats? I considered it...but I dunno I feel like like it'll turn to mush.
I don't really want to give her ground stuff(she loves to rip and tear her food up)...but if it gets her to eat liver I guess it'll be Okay for a few meals a week

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationWashington State
With my old cat I ground up liver and it was fine.

If my dogs refuse important things, I will put it at the back of their mouth and they will swallow it. Most times it only takes a few times of forcing it down, then they will eat it on their own. I don't do different things to their food, because that creates picky eaters and I don't do that. Fish is the only thing they didn't have to like.

Some dogs cannot handle whole meals with organs, she may need to get little bits every day. :)

SoFlayRoud

SoFlayRoud

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I guess I could try a few pieces given like pills, she if she takes to it.

I think feeding her little bits is the only way I'll be able to get her to it anyway, so I'll be doing that definitely.

And Jyes is not a fish eater! But she's kind of funny when you give her fish at least, she'll pick it up with her teeth super gently out of her bowl and the drop it and roll and smear and rub herself all over it -.-
  • jd17 likes this

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
My hound will nicely take the fish, then will gag it out. Makes me laugh EVERY time! I offer it to the hound just to see his reaction, and to make sure Tank really wants it, so Calvin can't have it. :lol: You can also offer the liver to her first, without having any other food out or around, and only feed her after she eats the liver. That's how we do things. Calvin didn't like the beef liver, so he was only offered the liver but refused, then I put it at the back of his mouth. Since he has willingly been eating the liver, I still only bring out the liver and then when the liver is gone, then I go to the house and get the rest of their food. :) Be as stubborn as your Mal and you will make it through this! :)
  • sjb1464 likes this

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
Another thought - what kind of liver have you tried? Maybe she just doesn't like a certain type?

SoFlayRoud

SoFlayRoud

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
We've tried both beef and pork liver.
And that seems like a good idea. If she thinks that's all she's going to get, she might be willing to try it.

jagger

jagger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

I find both beef and pork have similar textures. Have you tried chicken livers? They seem to have a different texture and the minpin will eat them raw or frozen. He's off the chicken due to allergy so I need to find another source that he likes.

SoFlayRoud

SoFlayRoud

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I can get whole chicken that have a bag of organs...but that's the only way I have access to them. (I am looking at a few online butcher shops that seem legit though).I live in a tiny rural town so I don't have many options.

Next year, we will be raising meat birds for Jyes (Okay for us too) so I'll have a supply for a greater variety of organs, thats realy why why decided to do it. Chicken is dirt cheap around here...but its all just basic normal people-cuts. (Except one store will order me chickenbacks)
  • Jordann likes this

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
Some dogs don't like livers from certain animals but like them from others. I'd definitely give chicken livers a shot, then turkey, then maybe deer or elk would be a hit? If you hunt or know someone who does. :)

SoFlayRoud

SoFlayRoud

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I do know many people the hunt, and who raise animals for food (like rabbits and stuff)

I think I'll put up a note on the bulletin board at the backstore /tag station for hunters
  • naturalfeddogs and Jordann like this

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
If you have a local paper, you can post an ad there, too. Not sure if Craigslist would work for you, but maybe worth a shot? :)

SoFlayRoud

SoFlayRoud

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Craigslist is a joke in my area, but we have Uncle Henry's which is a weekly book of classifieds...I might pit an ad there too.
  • Jordann likes this

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

We have a weekly classified book as well, and I have had much better luck with it than craigslist. Last week I got a score of over 200 lbs. of meat. Our deep freezer is full again! 

• Jordann likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO