Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Problems With Poop - 3 Months In

poop mucous yellow

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Christina

Christina

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Hi Everyone, 

We are on our third month of raw diet - we have gone through chicken, turkey, and pork - going on to beef next

I have a few questions regarding our dog.... Our English Bulldog Mentos is still pooping very soft mucous looking poop (yellow) - we have been giving her alot of bones (Chicken Back, Chicken Drumstick) and she seems to hate eating chicken, everytime we give her chicken back she refuse to finish them or just leave it in her bowl unless we watch her keep encouraging her to eat it. 

Help??! 

Also, What type of pork and beef are you feeding your dogs? I started out giving her ground pork, and she loves it. But after a little while, she would throw up or have very very soft yellow poop (we switch between pork and chicken back) 

What type of bones are we suppose to give in the pork and beef category? 

Thank you guys for the help!! 

Best Regards! 

• SurraTazy, Ridallrup, VitezEreD and 3 others like this

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

Is the meat you are feeding enhanced in any way? That could cause it. You want no more than 75 mg of sodium at the the most. You can also try removing some skin/fat off of chicken for a while and see if that helps.

How much are you feeding? Could it be too much? Maybe back off a little.

• SurraTazy, Ridallrup, VitezEreD and 3 others like this

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationWashington State
I know with my boys, chicken causes them to have yellowish poops. Try Jenny's suggestions, as these are the common problems and fixes. :)

Pork ribs and necks are fine to give, just be careful that the pork necks are not oddly cut. Some are very sharp and have no meat and can cause problems for your dog. For beef, ribs are about the only ok bone. But you don't have to give those types of bones, you can do chicken or turkey. :) I also feed shoulder roasts which have bone in them, occasionally. The common rule is no weight bearing bones for animals over 500 pounds, but if you ever question something, it is better not to feed it. :)
  • SurraTazy, Ridallrup, VitezEreD and 2 others like this

Christina

Christina

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Hi Guys, 

Thank you for your tips! I will try that. I only feed her raw meat (not enhanced in anyways), but maybe it can be due to the fat and the skin. 

Will keep you guys updated! 

• SurraTazy, VitezEreD and Timothytip like this

jagger

jagger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Yes, peel that skin off and see how much fat is under it. Some of the chicken we had in the past had gobs of fat over the bird, not something I want to eat.

• SurraTazy likes this

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts

Hi Everyone, 

We are on our third month of raw diet - we have gone through chicken, turkey, and pork - going on to beef next

I have a few questions regarding our dog.... Our English Bulldog Mentos is still pooping very soft mucous looking poop (yellow) - we have been giving her alot of bones (Chicken Back, Chicken Drumstick) and she seems to hate eating chicken, everytime we give her chicken back she refuse to finish them or just leave it in her bowl unless we watch her keep encouraging her to eat it. 

Help??! 

Also, What type of pork and beef are you feeding your dogs? I started out giving her ground pork, and she loves it. But after a little while, she would throw up or have very very soft yellow poop (we switch between pork and chicken back) 

What type of bones are we suppose to give in the pork and beef category? 

Thank you guys for the help!! 

Best Regards! 

Or, maybe she doesn't like chicken. You can try turkey instead. 

I feed pork organs, meat and ribs. With beef, I only feed organs and boneless meat. Beef ribs are too dense for mine to get through. 

• SurraTazy likes this

Erica

Erica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

With our pup, we developed a picky eater; he will give us a hard time/not eat chicken or turkey unless we give it to him first with nothing else and don't give him anything else until he eats it. He learned pretty quickly this means getting all the good stuff like beef and green tripe lol. However, I don't normally press the issue with him, I only feed those proteins when I score a pretty good deal with them. Chicken and turkey is boring to some dogs lol

For both pork and beef, I go boneless. He lost a bottom canine, and he favors small RMBS for bone-in source. Beef/pork heart, ground (although I don't feed too much), pork ribs, and other random on sale stuff is a fave around here.

• SurraTazy likes this

Iorveth

Iorveth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Chicken causes yellow poops in my guys as well. As does the game hens. I would try removing skin and fat for a while to to see if it helps. If it does, you can gradually re-add it. If you have the room in the freezer, put the extra skin and fat in a bag and keep it. You can add it to lean meats you get down the road.

I do want to say one thing about beef ribs. Some dogs do fine with them and some don't. I wouldn't give them to my hound because, when food is involved, he is a total idiot and would try to crunch straight through it rather then gnaw on it and the rib will win over his tooth. My other two will gnaw on bones like that and not attempt to crunch right through them so I feel safer giving them a bigger variety of bones. 

For pork, we do lots of ribs. Pork ribs are the hound's favorite although he is a vacuum...

For both pork and beef, I go boneless. He lost a bottom canine, and he favors small RMBS for bone-in source. Beef/pork heart, ground (although I don't feed too much), pork ribs, and other random on sale stuff is a fave around here.

Do you avoid those bones BECAUSE he lost a canine? Or do you avoid them because they CAUSED the tooth removal?

If it's the first one, I do want to lt you know that my youngest is a hairless Standard Xoloitzcuintli who is missing quite a few teeth due to the link between incomplete dentition and the hairless gene. He has all 4 canines and all the little front teeth in between, but only has 8 teeth behind that. One premolar in each jaw and one carnassial tooth in each jaw (as in one on each side of the top jaw and one on each side of the bottom jaw). Many Xolos are missing more teeth, including canines and still successfully eat a raw diet. If it's the second one, then I completely understand why you go boneless for those. Having a bad experience with something that caused harm to your pup is hard to get past sometimes.

• SurraTazy likes this

Iorveth

Iorveth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Chicken causes yellow poops in my guys as well. As does the game hens. I would try removing skin and fat for a while to to see if it helps. If it does, you can gradually re-add it. If you have the room in the freezer, put the extra skin and fat in a bag and keep it. You can add it to lean meats you get down the road.

I do want to say one thing about beef ribs. Some dogs do fine with them and some don't. I wouldn't give them to my hound because, when food is involved, he is a total idiot and would try to crunch straight through it rather then gnaw on it and the rib will win over his tooth. My other two will gnaw on bones like that and not attempt to crunch right through them so I feel safer giving them a bigger variety of bones. 

For pork, we do lots of ribs. Pork ribs are the hound's favorite although he is a vacuum...

Do you avoid those bones BECAUSE he lost a canine? Or do you avoid them because they CAUSED the tooth removal?

If it's the first one, I do want to lt you know that my youngest is a hairless Standard Xoloitzcuintli who is missing quite a few teeth due to the link between incomplete dentition and the hairless gene. He has all 4 canines and all the little front teeth in between, but only has 8 teeth behind that. One premolar in each jaw and one carnassial tooth in each jaw (as in one on each side of the top jaw and one on each side of the bottom jaw). Many Xolos are missing more teeth, including canines and still successfully eat a raw diet. If it's the second one, then I completely understand why you go boneless for those. Having a bad experience with something that caused harm to your pup is hard to get past sometimes.

• SurraTazy likes this

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
How are your dogs doing?
  • SurraTazy likes this

Christina

Christina

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Hey Guys, 

Thanks for all the help, we stop feeding her ground pork ( i think cause there was alot of fat in it) and started feeding her chicken drumstick without skin. She has been pooping normal for the past few days- normal color and solid poop! 

I will try the pork rib next and slowly adding more fat as you guys suggested! 

Thank you all for the help!!  :thumbsu:

• naturalfeddogs, Jordann and SurraTazy like this

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts

Keep us updated!

• SurraTazy likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: poop, mucous, yellow

0 user(s) are reading this topic