Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Gimli Still Has Poop Issues

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON
It's actually on and off. In my last thread regarding this, he was sneaking kibble and having runny, mucousy diarrhea until I put the kitty kibble out of reach (or so I thought, he was climbing on the table and sneaking it when we were sleeping). His poos WERE becoming firm again. We came home to a giant dark brown mess of diarrhea with mucous on Wednesday and Thursday last week. I probably should have fasted him, but after the Thursday mess, I fed him chicken backs for dinner Thursday and breakfast Friday and I came home to no accidents. He had a firm poo with a tiny bit of mucous.

His poos have been off and on mucousy or soft solid all weekend, and I think he either snuck kibble again before I tossed it last night or is still recovering, because he had another diarrhea accident Sunday night at like 2am. He has had nothing but backs since the first accident (though I know he got a turkey neck one meal with a raw egg, either Friday for dinner, or possibly Saturday). So on/off soft/runny poo, usually with mucous, and this morning it was crumbly with mucous, followed by soft/runny with mucous. I skipped his breakfast yesterday and the. He just got backs in the afternoon/early evening

It's a little frustrating because I haven't really been able to get him on any boneless meat yet, or add new proteins. I don't want him to be lacking in any nutrients since he's only on the chicken backs (drumsticks when he has normal poops) and turkey necks with occasional sardines. I think I'm going to find frozen mackerel when his gut gets back to normal, but until then, should I add any supplements to his food if he's just munching chicken backs/drumsticks and turkey necks?

I can at least say that the kibble will no longer be an issue because that went in the garbage last night when I decided to take the plunge with the kitties. Shane must think I'm insane doing all three, but the idea of less stinky cat poops making our tiny apartment smell (Josie can drop some brutal smelling turds sometimes!) is converting him. He's probably sick of the incessant talk of raw meat and the like, I can go off on a rant about animal food for a while, hahaha!

Thanks for any and all help/advice in advance <3

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

I wouldn't worry about nutritional deficiencies. These will take months and months to show up...like 6 or more. 

I would stick with just one protein source for 2 solid weeks. I know this seems like a long friggin' time....but really it's the only way to get their system back to normal before proceeding any further. 

I'd suggest chicken backs or turkey necks or chicken leg quarters. You should remove all skin and fat for the first few days to make it even more bland. 

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Okay, that is a relief! God, I'm gonna be terrible if/when I have kids, haha!

He had a chicken back and drumstick without skins for dinner, He'll get those for breakfast alternating with back and leg quarters.

Thanks Natalie. Sometimes I worry too much!

• Prey Model Raw likes this

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON
Update: had a tiny bit of mucous last night, but firm poops. No mucous this morning on his walk, thankfully. Staying the course and alternating backs and drumsticks. Fingers crossed he gets over this hump quickly!

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

I'm sure he will, just make sure that you stick with just chicken for at least a week before moving on. 

• GimMom likes this

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON
I will, though I didn't have any chicken prepared so I gave him a turkey neck when we woke up, and he had half diarrhea. I gave him part of a back before I left for work and tonight I'm going to get his stuff portioned out. I hope it'll clear up soon, but now I have a lot of backs so I should be good.

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

At this point, if you find yourself without meat prepared, it's probably best to completely skip a meal than give something else. At least that is what I would do :)

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Good to know, I'll remember that!

Update: Made a slippery elm tea with some capsules (400mg), and I've been giving him some every few hours. He had a mucous-y diarrhea/poop at 3am last night, and another one this morning at 10. The mucous at this point is off and on, or sometimes tiny amounts. I'm only giving him chicken backs and a drumstick. He has the occasional chicken heart as a treat. He got a small chicken wing meal and I forgot to take the skin off (crazy weekend :/ ) and he had the diarrhea after that, so no more, clearly. 

Crazy weekend, changing careers! Oy, the insanity. :P

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
Does the slippery elm seem to help?

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

I'm not sure, I'm still seeing mucous with every poop, so I don't know if I'm doing it right. I got some 400mg SE in capsules, broke them open to make a teaspoon's worth, and mixed it with a cup of water and made tea. Poo this morning at 6:30am was firm, with mucous, and then same again at 830am. Should I just give him a straight capsule? I was giving about 2 tablespoons of the tea about every 4 hours or so yesterday.

http://holvet.net/slippery_soup.html

I made the long brew tea listed on that page. 

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

If his stools are firm with a little mucous then he definitely is adjusting. A little mucous isn't a bad sign, the intestinal track will secrete it to protect itself from anything that irritates it. At this point, his intestines are probably getting more used to raw foods. I'd say another few days of firm stool, and then adding in more boneless chicken meat to his meals. 

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON
Thanks, Natalie. I didn't know if he was adjusting or not, but he hasn't had more accidents, and poops are nice and firm.

Would the odd chicken heart as a treat be hurting him at all? I'm trying to figure out what I can give him as a treat without throwing off his gut. I can go back to carrot chunks, that comes out same no matter what :P

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
The occasional chicken heart would be like adding in boneless meat, but take it easy because they can be rich!

amie s

amie s

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

so I was going to start a thread on poop, but I thought this one was really where I needed to be. I have not yet been able to catch Maycie in the act in the last 4 days so I don't know what she is doing but 4 days ago it was a very small amount and very, very loose. I am very interested in seeing what they look like now, so I'm a poop stalker.

Powder's poops I have noticed this morning and this evening. Both very baby poop orange-ish and both very mucousy. I am guessing we are right about 7 days on only bone in chicken and unless my husband is TRYING to piss me off he isn't giving them treats behind my back. I noticed a small piece of bone in the poop today. Shouldn't we be getting firmer about now? I take all of the skin off, but I'm not removing all of the fat from the chicken quarters unless it is huge. I mean let's face it: am I going to cut off every single piece of fat? Soooo..... any thoughts on this?

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

so I was going to start a thread on poop, but I thought this one was really where I needed to be. I have not yet been able to catch Maycie in the act in the last 4 days so I don't know what she is doing but 4 days ago it was a very small amount and very, very loose. I am very interested in seeing what they look like now, so I'm a poop stalker.

Powder's poops I have noticed this morning and this evening. Both very baby poop orange-ish and both very mucousy. I am guessing we are right about 7 days on only bone in chicken and unless my husband is TRYING to piss me off he isn't giving them treats behind my back. I noticed a small piece of bone in the poop today. Shouldn't we be getting firmer about now? I take all of the skin off, but I'm not removing all of the fat from the chicken quarters unless it is huge. I mean let's face it: am I going to cut off every single piece of fat? Soooo..... any thoughts on this?

If they're not getting anything other than bone in chicken that has been stripped of most fat/skin, I'd expect to see firmer stools by now. 

How much are they each getting per day? 

And how many meals per day? 

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

I can't remember exactly how long after the transition it took Gimli to have firm stools, but it wasn't more than 5 days. I remember practically dancing in the park when I saw little, perfectly formed poops. Hope your pups are doing better today!

Poopdate: There was like, a pea-sized drop of mucus in his poop today, so happy. But I'm cutting back on the hearts, poop was a bit dark. But yay, mucus issue resolved. Love that slippery elm. :D

• Prey Model Raw likes this

amie s

amie s

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

If they're not getting anything other than bone in chicken that has been stripped of most fat/skin, I'd expect to see firmer stools by now. 

How much are they each getting per day? 

And how many meals per day? 

As far as I know, no other food items going in.

I feed them twice daily and we're doing exactly the same routine with only one exception. So the am feeding is one chicken quarter. The evening feeding has been one chicken thigh. All bone in. The only exception to this routine is that last night they were each given an extra chicken thigh. The reason I gave them an extra thigh is because I left them with my brother in law for a few days. He lives with us and was house sitting. He was well versed on the feeding routine and did exactly as I asked of him: food was pre-portioned. The problem is he left my kids alone all day for two day in a row, only coming home on the second day to feed them their evening meal and then leaving again and not coming home til 130am. My dogs are used to me being home almost all day every day. Their not completely ruined, but I work from home and that is just the way it is. So leaving them that way completely traumatized them. Maycie was sitting on the couch howling and Powder was pacing around the living room, in the complete dark, he didn't even leave a light on for them. (I have a closed circuit video system in my house, so I was watching this unfold in real-time.) We drove 6 hours to pick them up and then when it was all said and done I thought they needed a little extra food. Maycie's bumps came back too, which leads me to believe that they are less an allergy issue and more of a stress issue. (Then again they could be mosquito bites LOL)

I think based on the percentages of what they should be eating for their body weight I over fed them yesterday, I understand that, but I think they needed to have full, happy bellies upon return to their normal lives with their stress levels relieved. (I could be wrong.)

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
Do they seem to be gaining weight, losing weight or maintaining?

amie s

amie s

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

I think they have both lost a small amount. For Powder that doesn't concern me, for Maycie she has always been on the skinny side, but I had just finally gotten her weight up a few pounds and she looked fantastic. As of now she is looking a bit skinny, but I know when we get this all worked out with their stomachs she'll be able to gain some weight again. So really the extra food last night was a 'comfort' thing and likely even more for me than them.

A few moments ago I found a small amount of fresh poop. I think it was Maycie, but I didn't catch her in the act. I assume it is her because it is a pretty small amount. It is still oddly greenish and I do see some mucous, but I did notice that they were 3 fairly neatly formed pieces. The only thing that is freaking me out a little is that I did see blood. It appears to be very fresh (bright red). It wasn't a huge amount volume wise, but because the poop is such a small amount it probably looks like a bigger deal than it is. I hope this doesn't gross anyone out, but I think if I was to measure it in a spoon it would be about a half or three quarters of a tsp. I'm encouraged to see little formed poops, but as I said the blood is curious. She doesn't seem to be in any pain or have any other changes to attitude. Is this normal at all in a situation like this? Should they be getting a bit more bone? I can go down and get some chicken feet if necessary.

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
It sounds like things are moving along just fine. A little bit of blood and mucous isn't a big deal, as long as they're acting normally otherwise.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO