Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Gimli Still Has Poop Issues

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON
No worries! I banged out a lot of questions back there! :P

I think I'm definitely going to go the kefir route, I'm liking the natural idea a lot better. And I love doing home "experiments". It's just a matter of being able to find live kefir grains in Toronto, though I think there might be a couple of stores that have it. If not, I'll go with a probiotic. But I prefer to do the kefir, I want to start having smoothies and mixing a little in.

That thread about the CO was hilarious! Makes sense now. I did give him a little, just a half teaspoon this morning. His poop was normal again, maybe too hard, encased with mucous. So I think you were probably right that he had too much, I probably gave him a good colon cleansing from it, according to the thread. I swear, I heard a whoooosh! :P
  • Britt0325 likes this

Britt0325

Britt0325

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationJersey
If you like doing home experiments you should look into kombucha too.

I'm planning on trying to make my own. Just pinned this to help me out with the process:

http://www.thekitchn...-at-home-173858

I've tried the store bought kind and it kind of grew on me. Nothing like the typical sweet tea I was used to drinking lol.

There's also some places online you can order the kefir grains from if it's hard to find by you.

I looked up the dosage of CO again just to make sure I was right about the amount. It's recommended to start of slowly with a fourth of a tsp and should be worked up to about one tsp per 10lbs for dogs. 1 tbs for every 30 pounds.

So, depending on what he's able to handle, you could probably keep increasing the amount slowly up to about a tbs a day. Every dog is different, I know my dog had issues with more then a fourth tsp for some odd reason. :)

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON
Ooh, the kombucha tea sounds like a great idea! I'll have to look into getting that stuff when I'm getting the kefir grains, too. I actually found a health food store that's a five minute walk from my apartment, and sells digestive enzymes and kefir grains. Yet another reason why I'm glad I moved to that part of the city! The neighbourhood seems to have everything I need, except butchers (which aren't that far from where my place is, anyway).

Gim's a solid 40lbs, but I'm definitely going to stick with the lower dose for now. He got half a tsp today, so I'll see how he poops tonight. Hopefully all will be well in the gut!

Thanks for the tea and kefir help! I'm excited to start the experiments. I have a five day weekend after tomorrow, so I have lots of time to play around! :D

amie s

amie s

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

I haven't seen any poops yesterday or today. I'll have to go out and see if there was pooping this morning. I gave Maycie extra meat the last couple days because her poops were looking so good and very on the 'dryer' side. Powder seems to be getting there but taking longer. I have been giving him more bone so hopefully that will help. I haven't been giving the kids any coconut oil since we started the transition, but I'll think about probiotics.

• GimMom likes this

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

Jon makes homemade kombucha and it's so simple! 

• GimMom likes this

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Natalie, I'm really excited to try it! I've heard about it, and knowing it's packed with health benefits is a bonus. I think my whole fam (well, minus the cats at the moment) need to get moving on a healthy diet. 

I've purchased a kefir starter kit for now. I'll see how this works and if it doesn't work, I'll look online for some good grains and try again.

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON
So the good news is that Gimli is having normal poops, 3 days in a row now. The guy at the health food store gave me free samples of Swiss brand digestive enzyme, so I gave Gim one before dinner, which was a turkey neck, and he had a nice poop at 10:30pm last night. Gave him another this morning, with a chicken thigh, and he had more nice poops on his walk this morning. Didn't smell like death, no mucous, nice and firm. Back on track, yay!

I'm making the kefir tonight, I didn't have any jars so I have to grab a couple today. I'm looking forward to playing around with this stuff. I'm also looking forward to spending my 5 day weekend (Thursday to Monday) chilling with the beast. Lots of long walks ahead! :D
  • Britt0325 likes this

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

I would continue what you're doing with Gimli for at least another week straight to to give his gut some time to stabilize before moving onto something else or changing anything. Keep us posted!!! 

• GimMom likes this

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON
Will do! Should I start adding in some skin and fat slowly? So far I've kept his meat stripped of both while he was working this out. He seems to be doing fine with more meat (leg quarters) and the turkey necks.

Britt0325

Britt0325

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationJersey
Maybe next week start leaving more skin and fat. Since his stool is so much better now I would do what Natalie said and just keep doing what you're doing for a bit before you change anything. I would at least wait till Monday.
  • GimMom likes this

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON
Gotcha! Thanks guys!

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON
Update: Gimli is doing much better on turkey necks, his poops are perfect, gonna try a pork chop tonight. I'm hoping the bones in the chops won't be too hard for him..... :/
  • Britt0325 likes this

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
How did the chops go for Gimli?

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Great! I cut out the denser bones, and let him chomp the pieces that I could break myself. He didn't have ANY poop issues, and we're going on day 4 of pork tomorrow. So he's been getting turkey and pork, with the odd chicken back. I think he needs more meat, though, one of his poops was so hard it kind of crumbled in half. If pork goes well for the next week, I'm going to order beef hearts. I found them on a Facebook page, 20lbs for $35 with free delivery. They also have beef lung, that's muscle meat, right? Because I can order 20lbs of that for $33, too.

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
Lung is not muscle meat- it's basically all connective tissue. Not a bad thing to feed, I use it for making treats (dehydrated)
  • GimMom likes this

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Okay, good to know. Would the beef heart be an acceptable meal if I combined it with a chicken leg quarter or other protein once I get to that point? I know you're not supposed to feed a lot of heart at first, since it's so rich. I'm just trying to figure out what to order from the new raw company I found, I think she can get me pork shoulder or butt for a decent price, too.

I think I definitely need a boneless meal for Gim now, though. His poop crumbled in my hand (covered in a bag, of course) when I picked it up, and was dry on the inside. I've been trimming the large bones from the pork chops, so he won't break his teeth and because I was noticing drier poops before.

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
What I'd suggest is cut some meat off a chicken quarter one day and the next giving a very small (like 1/4 the size meal) of heart. Make sure to trim fat off. The next day hold off feeding until you see a bowel movement. If all is good feed bone in chicken a few days and then repeat with the beef heart
  • GimMom likes this

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON
Okay thanks! And how long do you have to freeze pork before giving it to him? He had a chop last night and had mucous in his poop this morning, and some parts were very soft.

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

I took a picture of Gimli's poop (because I am a strange person like that) from earlier this week, I think it's safe to say his pooping issues are much better. He has a slight bit of mucous on occasion, but he's doing fine otherwise and enjoying pork. Ordering beef heart and sardines next week. So excited for new proteins!

IMG389_zps50a3ced0.jpg

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

Taking pictures of your dog's poop is normal when you're a raw feeder....it's all good LOL

Definitely looks like he's on the right track! 

I only freeze pork we butcher ourselves as most pork bought in the stores or from wholesale has been frozen previously. To be safe though, you can keep it frozen for 2 weeks at a deep freeze. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO