Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Bit Of A Sick Pup...

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

jagger

jagger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Little feller isn't feeling well today, guts are rumbling and he's very sucky, stuck to me like glue. Have both dog and laptop in my lap, hard to work. He hasn't eaten since last night, had a feed of straight bison meat. Won't touch anything this morning.

He was like this through the episode with the turkey, tummy growling but he was shaking then - he's not doing that this morning. I suspect a good case of diarrhea is coming soon but I'm not sure why. Feeding pork organs at the moment.

Gave him some of the antacid we had prescribed from the vet, seems to slowly helping the gurgling.

jagger

jagger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Seems to be better tonite, still no poop but he's blowing more gas than a leaky refinery - very stinky. Finally ate after 24 hours.

Iorveth

Iorveth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts

I'm sorry he's not feeling well. I hope all it is is an upset stomach rather than something more serious. I say it all the time... I wish they could tell us what's wrong!

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

How is he doing today?

jagger

jagger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

He seems to be back to his old self, but GF is cleaning up a puddle of rank runny poop off the lino. He must have eaten something he shouldn't have.

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts

If his poop is runny, I would back off the organs for some time, and go back to bone heavy again for a couple of days. Chicken backs or turkey necks.

jagger

jagger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Perhaps I downplayed a little. This wasn't a bit of runny poop, this was all out lino warfare, large puddle of really rank watery poop. Last time he was like this, it was after the turkey episode.

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts

too much organs will do that, as will over feeding. High sodium levels too. Feed some chicken backs or necks, with skin/fat removed for a few days. Then slowly add it back on as he gets better.

jagger

jagger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

We have him back on straight rabbit for a bit, allergy to chicken. He hasn't pooped since yesterdays episode but he's back to his normal self.

• naturalfeddogs likes this

Iorveth

Iorveth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Gross... I've been there before. On top of a dog who's not feeling well, you have a smelly mess to clean up. Glad it was on linoleum! Our youngest gets hunger pukes more often than the others (although less and less as he gets older) and he learned to go hop in the tub whenever he had to barf because every time I saw him licking his lips or heard the "I'm gonna barf" noises I would grab him and whisk him away to the bathtub. Eventually, he learned to do to it himself! I'm going to hope you don't have to deal with these episodes often enough that you have a need to teach him to do it in a certain place. :)

Glad to hear he's feeling better. It does tend to happen less and less the longer a dog is on raw, especially as YOU get better at feeding raw. You'll learn exactly what has a tendency to set off his digestive system and see patterns you can learn to avoid. I promise this whole raw feeding thing gets easier. I've been raw feeding for almost 4 years now and it's second nature to us. We don't think twice about what to feed each dog anymore because it's just so normal and easy.

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts

I'm glad he seems to be doing better!

jagger

jagger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

He is feeling better for sure, poop is hardening up.

Still a bit worrysome tho, he's scratching and chewing again - and losing hair once again? What could be causing this?

Hasn't had poultry in weeks now.

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationWashington State
Could it be environmental allergies? Maybe try using perfume and dye free laundry soap? Has anything new or different happened lately? Could be stress related?

Sorry he's being a turd for you guys right now.

jagger

jagger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Nothing has changed in the environment that i'm aware of.

I have to wonder if it's the pork organs we're feeding. He was on rabbit and bison for a couple of weeks  and doing wonderful, then we introduced pork for organ meats. Now he's scratching and chewing again - with the big bout of the runny poops.

We're right back to square 1 it seems.

Is there a substitute for organ meats we can use for a while? Some vitamin or enzyme that can supplement?

Iorveth

Iorveth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Oh no! They're back! Is there a way for you to get bison organs? I know our co-op here enables us to order bison liver and various parts throughout the year so maybe you could find something locally. We had a butcher in our last place who would order just about anything for us. We could even order kangaroo if we wanted it. Of course, those oddities are more expensive but, if it's something you can afford to do on a regular basis, a place like that can be extremely helpful. 

I don't know about the itching but maybe the runny poop was from the organ meats? How much did you give him? My oldest was 7 when he was started on raw and took FOREVER to be introduced to the full amount of organ he should have. We're talking an almond sized piece or smaller being added to the organ amounts he had learned to handle every couple of weeks or so. 

jagger

jagger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

He's never seemed to have an issue with organ meats in the past, and we feed them as treats. Fed twice a day, when he's really hungry we'll toss him a slice of frozen liver or kidney and generally only once a day. Peice of heart at night to tie him over at times.

The itching and scratching are what's getting to me now, the poop is a minor bump in the road. Makes me wonder if he's allergic to pork as well. But on a better note, his ears are clear and don't smell anymore.

Either way, he's on basic rabbit for a week or two til we see if this clears up.

jagger

jagger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Well, no pork organs for a couple of days, and it seems the scratching is starting to subside.... Strict rabbit diet again and so far so good.

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts

When you feed organs next time, try beef instead. There really is no substitute for organs, they are a must in a raw diet. But just like anything else, go slow and one doesn't seem to work back off it and try another.

jagger

jagger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Going to have to find something that works, not liking these ups and downs.

Maybe it's time to take him in for some allergy tests...

jagger

jagger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Every place I talk to either has organ meats spoken for due to raw feeders or they want to sell organs whole. What am I going to do with a 100 lb buffalo liver.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO