Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Starting Raw But Have Some Questions

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

TRDmom

TRDmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Congrats on your first week raw! :)

Regarding feeding two dogs, you could feed them one at a time on the porch. Send out the first dog with his meal, then bring him in when he's finished and put the second dog out with his meal (make sure he's finished before bringing him in or letting the other dog out).

If they have kennels, you could also feed them in those. On really cold or wet days, I feed my dog in his (in door) kennel.

Samson5261

Samson5261

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
We have a total of three we would be feeding. Two have kennels that I could feed them in. Honestly didn't even think of that lol! I have my mom pretty much convinced to make the switch but she wants to finish out the bag of kibble she bought before she does.

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationWashington State
For feeding multiple dogs, just make sure they have enough room and whatever they do not finish, take up and put away. :)

My guys eat the cat food I forget to bring inside, if it's a lot, I will fast him for 12-24 hours. If its that small of an amount, I wouldn't worry too much. My guys are opportunistic and will eat anything they think they can sneak.

My two have their set spots they eat (well, a few different spots, but the respect each other's space). In the beginning they would test each other and try to take each others food (ok, it was mostly Tank). I allow growling, as this is a warning and tells the other dog to back down. If the other dog doesn't back down, all that I allow past growling is the raising of the tail, but I am there before the tail is fully up. I've only had one scuffle, because Tank was a jerk and tried to take Calvin's food when people were over last Easter. He thought grandma and grandpa and great grandma being here meant he could be a complete jerk and not follow any rules. I took up all of the food and fed them later, after everyone was gone and the excitement had died down. After that day I stopped feeding the dogs when anyone is over. I feed once a day. Sometimes it is around lunch time (during nap time for the kids) or in the afternoon or when the kids are asleep at night. (sorry for the rambling!!)

As long as you guys supervise feeding times, everything should go well. You could also feed them one at a time outside, if you are more comfortable with that. If you are really concerned, you could attach leashes to everyone and let them drag the leashes, so if you needed to correct someone with more than a verbal correction, you have the leashes handy. :)

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
And yes, wings from chickens and turkeys are fine. How big is he? Chicken wings can be too small for some dogs. My 70 ish pound dogs handle wings just fine. Iorveth's hound swallows anything while. The best way to find out is to try him on them. :)
  • Iorveth likes this

Samson5261

Samson5261

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I could feed my moms two together I think as they already eat side by side but Rocky resource guards his food be it kibble or raw. I think I will just pit her two in their crates with an old towel down. They don't really use them so it will put them to use.

Rocky weighed 50lbs last time I weighed him but he has gained weight and grown. So far I haven't seen him try to gulp any food he chews very thourghly! Lol! I will pick up some turckey wings next week to try out to see how it goes:)
  • TRDmom likes this

Iorveth

Iorveth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Also my moms dogs are still on kibble and they are fed in the living room. We can not move their food into another room. Rocky is sneaking the kibble from their bowls. He is not as bad now then he was when we first started raw. Is this just because the amount of food he gets is less or just habit? Should I be worried that he has managed to get some kibble? It's not much maybe four to five pieces.

I wouldn't worry about the kibble since it's such a small amount. We actually use a good quality kibble as training treats since it's much cheaper (and often much healthier) than other processed treats. I like it because it can be left in the car without worrying about it spoiling. We keep it in a cereal container in the car for when we're out in town. At the house, though, we make our own or have less processed treats like freeze dried or dehydrated stuff.

Iorveth

Iorveth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Excuse the two separate quotes... Still trying to figure out this multi-quote thing. The last forum's setup was a little different so I could "multi-quote" without actually pressing any special multi-quote buttons.

We have a total of three we would be feeding. Two have kennels that I could feed them in. Honestly didn't even think of that lol! I have my mom pretty much convinced to make the switch but she wants to finish out the bag of kibble she bought before she does.

The best way to feed dogs is, in my opinion, separately unless they are used to eating together like your mom's dogs. Crates are wonderful. Our kitchen is a big, wide, linoleum area so Iorveth eats in the "feeding spot" in front of the dog freezer (untethered since he has come to understand not to move from that space). Buck eats either tethered to the freezer handle to keep him from taking his food and wandering onto the carpet or in his crate. Dude is a lazy eater who takes his time so he always eats in his pen where the other dogs can't harass him. At our last house we actually had a fenced yard so we fed exclusively outside unless we were hand feeding cubed up, thawed boneless meats to make that feeding into a training session. We tossed the dogs out back one at a time to eat in peace with the door open/screen closed so we could hear/see to make sure everything was going okay. On nice days, everyone went outside and we set up all three in separate areas of the yard so they had their space and they had to stay in their third of the yard until everyone was done. Here, during the summer, we have a big lawn so we tether in various areas out front while we do yard work or just enjoy a beer. When we do that, they are very far apart from each other on long lines where we can see them.

Lots of options to feed your dogs. You just have to play with some ideas and see what is most convenient for you and your dogs.  :D

And yes, wings from chickens and turkeys are fine. How big is he? Chicken wings can be too small for some dogs. My 70 ish pound dogs handle wings just fine. Iorveth's hound swallows anything whole. The best way to find out is to try him on them. :)

Buck... He does. It's awful. Buck is about 75 lbs and will swallow something like that whole. The other two will actually chew and eat things like that properly. It really does depend the dog. Things like that can also be thawed, packed together tightly with some water or blood and frozen solid so they are a big hunk of frozen parts. We feed turkey necks to Buck that way and it forces him to slow down and chew since they aren't thawed and malleable as well as stuck together. By the time he gets one unstuck, it's already been gnawed on enough that he can swallow the rest without me worrying. 

Give it a try and see whether he chews those enough or not. If not, then you can feel free to eliminate them as an option. If he does chew, then congratulations because the chewers are the best!

Samson5261

Samson5261

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

I wouldn't worry about the kibble since it's such a small amount. We actually use a good quality kibble as training treats since it's much cheaper (and often much healthier) than other processed treats. I like it because it can be left in the car without worrying about it spoiling. We keep it in a cereal container in the car for when we're out in town. At the house, though, we make our own or have less processed treats like freeze dried or dehydrated stuff.

I actually started making my own treats also because the ones from the store just made him sick! He loves them and I gave some to friends and now they feed them to:)!
  • Iorveth and Jordann like this

Iorveth

Iorveth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts

I actually started making my own treats also because the ones from the store just made him sick! He loves them and I gave some to friends and now they feed them to:)!

I REALLY need to get a dehydrator. We do it in the oven but a dehydrator would be so much easier and I know I would make more treats.

Samson5261

Samson5261

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

So we are starting week two on raw! He is now use to getting his meat and no longer tries to play keep away with me. He was never aggressive but he would grab it and run off with it lol. I have noticed a lot of differences just in the short time he has been on raw. Some of them is that his breath no longer smells like death warmed over, his poop is not a huge stinky pile that I need a gas mask for and his fur is sooo soft and shiny! He has already gained weight and his muscle development is amazing! I am getting ready to start introducing some turkey to his diet as he is doing really well with the chicken!

• Jordann and TRDmom like this

TRDmom

TRDmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts

My dog had an accident in the house recently (poop), but I had no idea until I SAW it because it did NOT smell! (gross, but cool)

• Samson5261 likes this

Samson5261

Samson5261

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

When we go to the dog park I use to just follow my nose to find his poo if I couldn't find it which happens often since he likes to poo at the opposite end of the park. Now since I can no longer smell it, it takes some time for me to find his poo! lol My mom's dog on the other hand I still get to follow my nose!

Iorveth

Iorveth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts

The lack of death breath is something I didn't realize until recently. I mean, I knew my dogs didn't have smelly breath but I didn't realize that the death breath I was so used to smelling was no longer a part of my life. The only one of my three that was ever on kibble is my old man Collie so I never experienced it from my younger two but ALL of my previous dogs had it. 

I kiss on Iorveth, my Xolo, ALL the time and it only just occurred to me a few weeks ago that I have never loved on a dog as much as I love on him and it's because there's no rank breath to keep me away. There IS an odor, but it's extremely mild and isn't a bad smell. It's just air that's been inside a dog's lungs. You actually have to try to smell his breath to even smell it.

I'm glad you're seeing the positive changes. I watched my soft, plaque-y toothed, smelly breathed dog completely change into a lean, clean toothed (without a dental), odorless dog. They also don't have a doggy odor as far as their skin goes. Buck is a hound and hounds are notorious for having a strong, houndy smell but Buck's is restricted to just his face when he gets hot or gets to the point where he needs a bath. His body doesn't smell like a hound. Iorveth is hairless so he always smells like cocoa butter so he doesn't really count.

Samson5261

Samson5261

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

ok I have a question how do you know if you are giving them to much bone and not enough muscle? I do think he needs less bone now going off his poop but I am getting ready to ad some turkey to his diet. Do I need to get turkey with bone and give him chicken without bone or should I stick with both meats containing bone?

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

With bone, poops turn white once they dry out, but if they are actually coming out white and crumbly, or if they strain to go then that's too much bone. 

Start giving bone in turkey, and you can add some boneless turkey with it if it seems to hard to poop. In the beginning, it's best to go protein by protein without mixing any. Once you are through the transition of all the proteins, and each one went well, then you can mix them if you want. I do that a lot. But in the beginning, just single proteins are best.

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
I wouldn't worry about that much. just try and prevent him from stealing it by removing the opportunity to do so

Samson5261

Samson5261

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Rocky is going on week two of no bath because he just doesn't stink anymore! He use to get a bath every Sunday, that's the day I wash my sheets and I didn't want a stinky dog in my bed! Now though I don't have to give him a bath weekly since he really doesn't even have any kind of an odor to him!

Today he got his first piece of turkey and he would not eat it:(. I gave him a drumstick and he licked it but made no attempt to eat it. Could he just not like turkey? I took it away after about 30 minutes and I am going to try again later. Is this normal when you add another protein?

Samson5261

Samson5261

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I tried the turkey again but had him in his crate this time. He didn't even attempt to eat it but he did cover it up with towel I have down. He is now outside with it so hopefully he will eat it now!

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
Has he accepted turkey as food yet?

Samson5261

Samson5261

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
He has not, he buried the Drumstick and wouldn't even touch the wing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO