Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Starting Raw But Have Some Questions

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

Samson5261

Samson5261

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I cut some a small piece of the meat off of the drumstick kind of rubbed it around his mouth. He took it and chewed for a few seconds but then spit it out. He wants nothing to do with the Turkey. Should I just skip turkey because he doesn't seem to like it and go to the next step? I'm at a loss do any advice is welcome!

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationWashington State
If he's still being a butt about turkey and hasn't liked the necks either, I'd move onto your next protein and visit turkey later in his switch. Are you offering it without the skin? Maybe he doesn't like the skin?

Samson5261

Samson5261

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

So after a two days of only offering him turkey, he ate the turkey by the evening. Now that he has finally tried he likes it lol! So now he eats turkey no problem and everything is once again smooth sailing!

• Jordann likes this

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
Hopefully he doesn't pull that stubborn crap for the next introduction!

How are poops?

Samson5261

Samson5261

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
His poops are very good, I have not had a problem with him having the runs bi have had to watch the bone because he has gotten constipated before but other than that it has went really well!
  • Jordann likes this

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
That's awesome! I hope he continues giving you guys an easy switch. :)

Samson5261

Samson5261

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

So we have are getting ready to start offering fish. I am having trouble finding fish with bone but got a lead from a girl that I work with and will be checking that out this Friday. Does anyone else have any advice on finding fish with bone?

I don't think that he is ever going to be a big fan of turkey though. He just doesn't seem to like it and will only eat it if he has to and hardly ever finishes all of it! I am hoping that he will like the fish better and that he will take to it faster than the turkey! lol

TRDmom

TRDmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Not sure about fish since I don't feed it to my dogs (they didn't like it when I offered it before and its just too darn expensive). I think some people mentioned buying canned fish packed in water.

Chicken, beef and deer are the "big three" right now, but duck and rabbit are also on the menu. I just got a ton of beef today (liver, heart, steaks...) and ended up giving about 10+ pounds (one HUGE piece) to one of my dogs because I didn't have room for it anywhere since both freezers are full (and of course he already ate before the beef arrived!). I think I'm going to take the puppy out later and let her have a go at it.

Samson5261

Samson5261

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
So I instead of doing fish next I am going to do pork. I found some on sale so I bought a bunch of it!:) He never really took to turkey and refuses to eat turkey backs, he will tolerate the drumsticks though. The pork he took to really quick and loves it! We are on day two of pork and so far we are looking good!
  • Jordann likes this

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
My hound refuses fish, so we tried 4 days and then moved onto pork. I didn't push the issue with fish as it is not a natural food source. :)

Samson5261

Samson5261

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

I bought a can of fish to give him just to make sure he would like it and he loved it but I am still having trouble finding any. We have finished up a week of pork and everything went really well! Didn't have any issues with him taking to it and I think that Chicken and Pork with be what he get's the most. So next I was going to go to beef but what cut's work best with that? I fed him pork ribs and pork chops and he did well with that but I am worried about him breaking a tooth off on a thick bone.

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
Some don't offer any beef bones at all. My guys get ribs and sometimes shoulders, but they seem to know what they can and cannot handle. Basically anything boneless should be safe. :) I haven't bought beef in so long, I just pick up scraps. I seem to remember beef heart is typically a cheaper part to feed. Just go super slow and all should be fine. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO