Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

New To Raw! Need Some Help!

raw bones stuck puppy new help advice

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

jaxon

jaxon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hello everyone!
We are new to raw feeding with our three month Olde English Bulldogge Jaxon! so far he loves it and finished every meal :)
We are a little concerned about his poop so far- he used to be very regular when he was on kibble and now he goes very rarely. this afternoon he was struggling a little bit and then pooped out a small bone which seemed like it was stuck. he also got sick and threw up a small amount. had anyone else experienced the stuck bone before? is there anything to help prevent this or should we be concerned?

thank you so much! we really appreciate everyones help!!
  • VitezEreD, Timothytip, Charlespymn and 3 others like this

peppersmom1889

peppersmom1889

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationAnchorage AK

Pepper used to do the same thing when she first started raw. I think their body just has to get used to the transition, and pooping bone fragments is pretty normal in the beginning. On raw they will poop much less frequently and in much smaller amounts so that is normal too. What has he eaten so far? Sometimes they will throw up if they have not chewed up the food enough. If Jaxon is not chewing thoroughly it can help to feed partially frozen to slow him down and make him chew more.

• Timothytip and Charlespymn like this

jaxon

jaxon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

thank you so much for the reply and the help!! he was on a horrible grocery store type of dog food when we got him at 10 weeks, we switched him right to acana since then and he was doing great on that, we switched him to raw yesterday, starting with chicken back only. He's currently 12 weeks old. So he only had acana for two weeks, and his poops are solid, but they went from 4-5 time a day and about 8 ounces each time to 2 times a day and only an ounce, if that. So I wanted to make sure nothing is stuck in there preventing him from passing the rest. He LOVES his raw food (obviously) but my boyfriend has to chop them down to fairly small sizes and hold the ends to make sure he doesn't swallow them whole, he chews them okay, but from time to time he'll manage to yank a small piece and swallow it. He also did throw up some bones today about 4 hours after he had his 2nd meal, so we decided to skip his 3rd meal and start again tomorrow morning.

• Timothytip and Charlespymn like this

flossboss

flossboss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Our dogs both threw up the bigger bits of bone initially.  I now mallet up the backs and legs for them.  I got the mallet based on a recommendation here - it is from Amazon.  It's heavy duty!  I ordered a butcher block cutting board (my other one is cracking and breaking apart from all the pounding!), too.  It's easy now.  You don't have to mallet them into pancakes but just break up the bigger, thicker pieces of bone.  I hit a back about 3-4 times for our puppy (who is 75 pounds but still has baby teeth).  I smash up the legs more........   Once I started using the mallet, all throw up ceased!!!  Woo hoo!!!

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

They will poop less, and much smaller poops on raw. That is normal. Also in the beginning, they sometimes will throw up and poop some bone. Their bodies are still learning how to adjust to eating  raw.  As you go on through the transition and Jaxon's body adjusts, that will be less and less.

Iorveth

Iorveth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts

I wish I had gotten a picture of it but I was a lot more... conservative about what I photographed 4 years ago... One of my dogs barfed up the lower half of a drumstick bone in their first month or so of raw. I don't remember which dog it was anymore but it was either Buck or Dude. This bone looked like, if I touched it it would just POOF! into dust. It was well on its way to being digested. I could see the floor underneath it THROUGH the bone. It would have scared me too if I hadn't been prepared for it by other raw feeders who helped me get started (including some members here). 

My two oldest will hit their 4 year mark on June 1st and my youngest hit his 2 year mark yesterday (cannot believe I have had the Chupacabra for two years already!) and I honestly cannot remember the last time they pooped any visible bone. Once their bodies adjust, it just pretty much goes away. Of course, just like people, if they have to barf for some reason, you will see bone and meat or whatever they've eaten since stuff that's coming up from the stomach hasn't finished being broken down yet. They tend to stop barfing frequently as well. Dogs will regurgitate things that didn't go down right and take a second whack at it so it'll never fully stop but, in all honesty, finding barfed up kibble was normal with my kibble fed dogs. And that didn't get re-eaten very often!

jaxon

jaxon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Thank you so much for the help everyone! It is so nice to hear everyone else's stories, it keeps us feeling better about the transition to raw :)

• naturalfeddogs and Iorveth like this

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts

That's why we are here!  :)  ;)

• Jordann likes this

zippereatsraw

zippereatsraw

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

I have a question about the transition.

I have a papillon who has been on the Natures variety Instinct raw  for over a year, hes had beef, venison, duck, chicken, turkey and I dehydrate chicken liver and heart, and beef liver for treats . So hes been exposed to a variety of different proteins already but he hasn't had a lot of exposure to Raw meaty bones, should I still follow the guidelines from the getting stated article?

Spy Car

Spy Car

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

thank you so much for the reply and the help!! he was on a horrible grocery store type of dog food when we got him at 10 weeks, we switched him right to acana since then and he was doing great on that, we switched him to raw yesterday, starting with chicken back only. He's currently 12 weeks old. So he only had acana for two weeks, and his poops are solid, but they went from 4-5 time a day and about 8 ounces each time to 2 times a day and only an ounce, if that. So I wanted to make sure nothing is stuck in there preventing him from passing the rest. He LOVES his raw food (obviously) but my boyfriend has to chop them down to fairly small sizes and hold the ends to make sure he doesn't swallow them whole, he chews them okay, but from time to time he'll manage to yank a small piece and swallow it. He also did throw up some bones today about 4 hours after he had his 2nd meal, so we decided to skip his 3rd meal and start again tomorrow morning.

Chicken backs are really boney. Much too much bone relative to meat IMO, even to start.

Count me as a contrarian on this point with the "Getting Started" guide on this forum.

The signs your dog is showing are consistent with eating too much bone. I would choose less boney pieces of chicken, like drumsticks or thighs. Throwing up bone, and bone in the poop is the evidence of too much bone.

My 2 cents.

Bill

zippereatsraw

zippereatsraw

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

I agree with bill my dog wont eat the back he will eat most of the smaller bones around that center bone. I think im gonna try wings or something next

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts

I use chicken backs to help clear up super runny poops, or sometimes with an organ meal for my sensative ones, who I know need the extra bone for a meal like that. It never hurts to keep backs on hand.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: raw, bones, stuck, puppy, new, help, advice

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO