Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Nervous New Pmr Feeders Needing Some Advice!

nervous bones crunching puppy help new

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

jaxon

jaxon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Hello everyone!

My boyfriend and I have been raw feeding our 3 month Olde English Bulldogge, Jaxon, for about a week and a half now. I previously posted a question on here and the responses were so helpful I was hoping to ask another one (without trying to sound paranoid!)

Jaxon absolutely loves the raw feeding, currently he is only on chicken but he is adjusting well. Because he loves it so much, he tries to take the entire piece in his mouth and eat it at once. We are slightly nervous that he is going to choke on a bone if he doesn't chew it properly, but we also don't want to constantly watch over him because we want him to learn. Could anyone share some of their stories and advice on how to get over this fear while still helping him transition? Should we trust that his natural instincts will kick in while he is crunching away or should we continue helping him out while he learns? We love our little guy so much and just want the best for him!! Thank you so much everyone, we really appreciate your help!! :) :)

• Howardsi likes this

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

What cuts of chicken has Jaxon been eating? As long as it is  large enough that he has no choice but to chew he should be fine. I wouldn't feed something the size of necks, wings or drumettes if he is bad to swallow whole. 

Dogs don't chew the way we do. They just chomp once or twice and swallow. 

• Howardsi likes this

TRDmom

TRDmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts

From your other post, I saw that you guys are cutting up his food into small pieces (which will only encourage swallowing it whole). I would suggest getting chicken quarters (thigh and leg together) and feeding them whole. At three months old, he shouldn't be able to eat that without some chewing. A few chews and then swallowing doesn't look great, but that's how dogs tend to eat (and are fine with it).

• Howardsi likes this

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationWashington State
I agree,larger cuts are best. Make him work at his food. :)

I'm glad Jaxon is loving his new diet so well! How is his transition so far? Puppies tend to switch more quickly than older dogs.
  • Howardsi likes this

Iorveth

Iorveth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Don't trust him to figure it out on his own because not all of them think they need to slow down and crunch. I have one who thinks he's a python and will try to swallow just about anything whole and he is almost 4 years old and has been on raw since he was 8 weeks. Your pup very well might figure it out but not all of them do. Some of them are just gluttons. 

That said, we do watch our guys every time they eat. We may not be sitting right next to them but there is always someone in the room while they eat so that, should something happen, we would hear it or see it and be able to help. 

Definitely feed larger pieces. The only time I cut anything up is if I'm feeding thawed boneless meat and we'll make a game/training session out of it so they still have to work for their food even if the work isn't chewing and crunching. Everything else I feed completely frozen, especially to the gluttonous hound. It's ben 2 years now since I've fed a puppy raw and I want to say there is something about not feeding frozen to puppies but I can't remember so hopefully someone else can chime in here. However, if there IS a rule about not feeding frozen to puppies, keep the frozen idea in mind for when he's older if he doesn't figure out how to slow down on his own. Our youngest dog turned 2 in November and almost 100% of the food we feed is frozen solid. It makes it harder for them to eat, forcing them to slow down and work at their food and reducing the risk of them trying to swallow it like a snake and choking.

• Howardsi likes this

Spy Car

Spy Car

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Big pieces....and DO WATCH THEM eat, even if you'd rather not. I'm convinced a raw diet is the best thing I could do for my dog, but there are legitimate chocking risks especially when dogs are starting out (and the pieces are too small). With some dogs (mine was one) I found I had to hold items like drumsticks so he learned to chew, rather than swallow whole.

Walking away from a new raw feeding dog is not a good idea. They'll get the hang of it, but there is a transition where caution and supervision are valuable.

Bill

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nervous, bones, crunching, puppy, help, new

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO