Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Starting On Raw

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

Erica

Erica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

The two dogs I transitioned to raw, always acted like they were poor starving dogs in the beginning, as if to say 'oh that's it?'. On raw, their stomachs don't become "full" as opposed to a kibble fed dog. Over time their stomach will adjust to not feeling full all the time.

I second that face wiping thing for flappy dogs. Max rubs his face into his/our bed after every meal and will clean his paws VIGOROUSLY if any meat touched them. He's just a clean boy. Some dogs don't care, others do. I learned this pretty early too; I would only be worried if he was licking/cleaning himself raw

Rexnbubbles

Rexnbubbles

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Help my dog is looking very poorly and very skinny it's nearly been two weeks. am I not feeding enough an he's had runny stools took him vets they gave him a wormer an some anti biotics. He looks so unwell, he was going great at first but now he's just gone downhill help me please!!

TRDmom

TRDmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts

I am very sorry to hear this.

At 13kg, he should be eating 0.26 to 0.39kg of food each day. Poultry wings are rather bony, you might want to add a little more meat. Some thigh or breast in addition to the wing would be good. Can you find chicken quarters (thigh and leg attached)? That would be a pretty easy meal. One quarter would be enough for the day and provide a good mix of bone and meat.

How old is your dog?

Also, did the vet diagnose a cause? Were they sure it was diet or could it have been something else?

Rexnbubbles

Rexnbubbles

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
The vets are useless jus making assumptions gave him worming tabs coz think it could be that even though I have wormed a couple weeks ago. They gave him antibiotics coz they said it will help him from feeling ill. I just don't get them also gave me pro biotic. Rex is 8 months old I can see his ribs an looks very skinny compared to the kibble. an yeah I do give him quarters usually more then the wings I give him slighty more then a quarter a day is this enough is there anything els I can do for my poor lil man.

Rexnbubbles

Rexnbubbles

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
He is also still chewing at his paws a lot they have now gone brownish in colour am seems irritated

TRDmom

TRDmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Since he's 8 months, he's still got some growing left to do. Feeding more wouldn't be a bad idea, but don't overdo it. About half a kilo or so would be good to offer. Also, you might want to try another meat. Another poultry, if available (e.g. duck, Cornish hen, quail, or turkey). You can also try lamb or beef, but they are rich and might cause stomach upset. So if you see diarrhea/soft stools, don't be surprised. He should adapt during the suggested two week period though. Make sure to include bone, or something like chicken or duck feet, to help keep his stool firm. Do be careful offering large bones as they could chip or break a tooth. Some owners don't offer beef bones at all. My dog eats oxtail (with bone) fine.

I think probiotics (healthy bacteria) are a good idea. Antibiotics, on the other hand, I would personally be leery of right now since they destroy/attack both good and bad bacteria in your dog's system. Antibiotics can also make you feel worse while you're taking them. Apple cider vinegar helps digestion and is good for the skin. If you can find some, one tablespoon a few times a week should help (some owners offer it daily). You can also apply it directly on his paws to help with the irritation.

TRDmom

TRDmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Would you mind posting some pictures of your dog so we can see his overall condition and another for the paws?

Rexnbubbles

Rexnbubbles

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
How do I post pictures? and I can't find apple cider vineger was told about that a lot have only seen the tablets though.

Rexnbubbles

Rexnbubbles

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I woke up today to diarreah all over rexs bed he's been fine all week now this I don't understand

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

What did he eat last, and how much?

Rexnbubbles

Rexnbubbles

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Well yesterday evening he was acting like he was starving so I threw him a smal piece of chicken and wake up to a big watery mess literally. Was that wrong of me to give him snacks I feed him twice a day at the same times

TRDmom

TRDmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Its hard to say what exactly it was. You know what he came in contact with. Sometimes my dogs would eat something they shouldn't have (that I didn't give them) and it would cause some upset. One of my last dogs was a Boxer; she would gobble up pretty much anything... and added to her gas. I don't know how to say it nicely, but certain breeds are predisposed to gas/stomach sensitivity (Boxers and Frenchies being two of them). Dietary changes of any sort can cause "other end" issues. I would suggest visiting the vet, but many of them are opposed to raw feeding and tend to blame any and every issue your dogs has on the raw diet. :(

Without seeing your dog or really knowing its diet (all I know is what little I read here), I would suggest adding a little pumpkin to firm the stool and help settle the stomach. I know you mentioned not being able to find Apple Cider Vinegar. Is the US, many grocery stores now carry it. Not that many years ago, my mother had to hunt for bio stores (like holistic health type stores) in order to find any. You should be able to find it online.

TRDmom

TRDmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts

I found some on Amazon. http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/B001I7MVG0

Have you checked at Tesco or Holland & Barrett? I've heard of people finding it there.

Rexnbubbles

Rexnbubbles

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I have managed to get hold of some cider vineger he doesn't like so am adding to his water he was fine a day after the first time he had a bad belly but he's at it again I really think it's the chicken he's been on it for two weeks now so am gonna move onto duck today then some fish. The vets are useless literally have me antibiotics and probiotics to give him.

TRDmom

TRDmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts

My dog gets the loosest stool when on chicken. Its not bad diarrhea, but looser than when he has lamb, beef or deer. If you want to try a 'richer' meat, I don't see anything wrong with it. The worse that can happen is bad stomach upset, which the chicken is doing anyway. One bad thing about poultry is that many companies enhance it with sodium to make it larger (equaling more money for them). This enhancement can cause stomach upset.

TRDmom

TRDmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Another option you have is raising some of your own meat. Even in the city, you could raise rabbits, guinea pigs, or rats (from what I've heard, GPs can be the hardest to raise). Rabbits are pretty easy animals to keep and aren't very messy/much trouble to butcher. The upside is that you know how the meat was raised and processed. Tan and Dutch rabbits are small (don't need a lot of space), but still have a good dressout at around 10 weeks (about the same as larger meat rabbits at 8 weeks). I know some people have a strong aversion to raising their own meat (especially with "cute" animals) and I apologize if it offended you.

Rexnbubbles

Rexnbubbles

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I was thinking about raising my own would be a lot better then buying all this rubbish they sell in the shops. An yeah in gonna give Rex something different from today an I was gonna ask could I give him fish or does it have to b meat? I definately think it's the chicken that doesn't agree with him as he is still chomping on his paws and scratching quite abit I have tried everythin other then change his protein so this is my last option of this doesn't work I really don't know what I am going to do. Thank you so much for your help.

TRDmom

TRDmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts

You can try fish if he'll eat it. My dog doesn't seem to like it whole. Since we have other meat sources, I don't offer fish (its also expensive at the stores here).

Interestingly, dogs seem to do better on the "rich" meats, like beef and lamb. My dog gets looser stool with chicken, even with higher bone content. Beef, lamb, deer... not a problem (with or without bone)!

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationWashington State
How did Rex like the new protein?

Rexnbubbles

Rexnbubbles

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
So I started Rex on fish yesterday(sardines) whole ones is this a good choice of fish to give him? He seems to really enjoy them, i really prefer feeding him fish even though it's quite abit expensive, but I love this lil guy an all I want is him to be healthy an thriving. His stool was firm this morning which was a relief. All in all he's looking better then he was jus hope it lasts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO