Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Amazing Changes: Day 5

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

amie s

amie s

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

although Maycie is having a rough transition, Powder is what I can only call 'sooo damn happy' I finally started feeding him right. I am not an expert on dog behavior, though I have had dogs my whole life, I can tell you that seeing my almost 9 year old boxer go from appearing older by the day with many 'old dog' behaviors, to a markedly different 'attitude' and even almost being able to see the 'pup' in him again is amazing. This is only like day 5 and I have been stumbling around the last 5 days doing a lot of things 'wrong' by these guys. This is only day 3 of asking him to stay on his towel and this morning he didn't even once end up off the towel. He was too busy eating. I can see a light in his eyes that has been gone for a long time. I don't know if this diet will make any of his warts and lumps go away, he is a boxer after all, but I see an amazing difference in only days. Sooooo wishing I had done this years ago.

• jdatwood, Prey Model Raw, GimMom and 1 other like this

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,293 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

although Maycie is having a rough transition, Powder is what I can only call 'sooo damn happy' I finally started feeding him right. I am not an expert on dog behavior, though I have had dogs my whole life, I can tell you that seeing my almost 9 year old boxer go from appearing older by the day with many 'old dog' behaviors, to a markedly different 'attitude' and even almost being able to see the 'pup' in him again is amazing. This is only like day 5 and I have been stumbling around the last 5 days doing a lot of things 'wrong' by these guys. This is only day 3 of asking him to stay on his towel and this morning he didn't even once end up off the towel. He was too busy eating. I can see a light in his eyes that has been gone for a long time. I don't know if this diet will make any of his warts and lumps go away, he is a boxer after all, but I see an amazing difference in only days. Sooooo wishing I had done this years ago.

Better now than never!  :D  I would say you have probably just added another couple or three years to his life. Our old girl Lucky is getting some of those little "old lady" bumps showing up just now and she sleeps a little more now, but when she's up it's like she's a youngster again. running zoomies in the yard and everything still.

• jdatwood, Prey Model Raw and amie s like this

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON
That's awesome, it's always a good feeling when you see how much you improved your dog's life and how happy they are (especially at meal time)!

I should tell my friend Dan about PMR again, he's got a senior boxer, too, and I would love to see old Lou last a few more years if possible!
  • jdatwood, Prey Model Raw, naturalfeddogs and 1 other like this

amie s

amie s

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

We lost two Boxers both to heart disease at only about 8-9 years old a couple years ago. It was heartbreaking. The vets say that cancer and heart disease are very prevalent in Boxers, but damn is it possible that it is because like us humans we have been feeding them crappy crap for so many years their bodies just wear out earlier than they should?

In other news I didn't mention before about Maycie, though she is having a rougher transition to this her bumps (which I can only call some sort of allergy bumps) on her hind quarters that only went away with antibiotics before and zyrtec (2x daily) have almost completely disappeared. Woo hoo!!!!

• jdatwood likes this

SuperPug

SuperPug

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationOrlando, FL

My day 5 was a little different since I was dealing with a dog that had senstives to commerical chicken. But day 5 of turkey was deffinately much better than day 5 of chicken. I do understand your excitement for it. You start to see the changes and it's almost like you facepalm yourself and say "why didn't I think of this before?!" They're just all MUCH happier and healthier than you ever thought possible!

• jdatwood, Prey Model Raw and amie s like this

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON
Gimli is still having issues, but that was a kibble sneaking thang! He took to raw chicken no problem, though. He had allergies to chicken kibble, but raw is just fine!

And losing a dog to cancer must be hard. It happened to my older sister, she was devastated. Now she's looking into raw, too, since she also feels like the crappy crap we gave them, even if "high quality", was probably the reason for his demise.

I still have a half cup of kibble left from Gim's last bag, it sits on my window sill and I giggle when I see it because I'll never have to buy that horrid stuff ever again.
  • amie s likes this

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

This is an AMAZING testimonial to the powers of raw feeding! Reading stories like this make all the time and effort put into helping people SO worth it!!! 

Thank you so much for sharing your story, and I look forward to hearing more of the benefits you see! 

Usually lumps and bumps wont go away with raw, especially if it's not skin or allergy related. 

• OwnedBySilly likes this

amie s

amie s

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

This is an AMAZING testimonial to the powers of raw feeding! Reading stories like this make all the time and effort put into helping people SO worth it!!! 

Thank you so much for sharing your story, and I look forward to hearing more of the benefits you see! 

Usually lumps and bumps wont go away with raw, especially if it's not skin or allergy related. 

One thing is for sure she is not itching AT ALL. Well that may be an overly excited mama's take on it. I think she is scratching still a touch, but the last few weeks it has been almost painful to see her scratching all the time. It used to be that you couldn't even touch her back without her squirming and stopping whatever she was doing to scratch. As someone who suffers from a gluten problem that produces a rash that itches like nothing I've ever known before (and I was practically born in poison oak lol) I am so happy to see her NOT itchy. And this was noticed at least yesterday if not the day before. So benefits even before day 5.

• jdatwood and Prey Model Raw like this

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Yeah, does it take a while for the itching to completely stop on raw? I've noticed Gimli doesn't scratch AS much, however, he still has his moments. At least he is no longer nursing hot spots on his front paws. He would lick and lick for what seemed like hours.

• amie s likes this

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

Yeah, does it take a while for the itching to completely stop on raw? I've noticed Gimli doesn't scratch AS much, however, he still has his moments. At least he is no longer nursing hot spots on his front paws. He would lick and lick for what seemed like hours.

I think it's dependent on more than just time.....like severity, the case, the patient, what's being fed, what the dog is sensitive to, etc. So every case will be a little bit different.

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Makes sense! He still scratches a bit, too, but there are fewer spots and they're less irritated. His ears were the biggest "miracle". His paws still have small hot spots though. He just doesn't lick them as obsessively anymore, either!

amie s

amie s

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

I have noticed that her bumps have come back. They are like hives maybe or mosquito bumps. I thought they were a food thing, but it could be mosquitos and I have also noticed that after a couple of stressful days she was covered with them. I wonder if it could be stress and not allergy. Either way, the dogs are looking fantastic and are happy. And I've been visiting with my Aunt and she is asking a lot of questions and she came and watched them eat this morning. I don't know if she will do it or not, but she is very interested in what we are doing.

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

That's awesome, the more raw feeders, the better!

And it could very well be stress, though my pooper used to get bumps like that too, on his side, and now they're gone. But they were a short term thing, they came and went in a matter of weeks and that was after switching to raw. So I don't know if it was detox related.

• amie s likes this

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

Stress can cause all kinds of issues with dogs and health. Maybe keep a journal of stressful events and when she breaks out to see if there's a connection....

amie s

amie s

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

She was very itchy this morning. My husband asked me what if she is allergic to chicken. We have been traveling this week and so while they are way happier than they were being left home with my BIL this is still a bit outside the 'normal' routine. We spent 4 months traveling in the RV a couple summers ago though and so I think they are pretty used to being in here. I'll just keep watching and if anything new happens I'll let you know.

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

Sounds good. There's a slim chance that they're allergic or intolerant to chicken. It may just be that they're getting used to things as well as the fact that chicken is pretty bland (IE low fat- and not the highest of quality fat either) which fat is very important but should be added in gradually so to prevent any potential GI upset. Over time, once you add more fats into their diet things will even out :)

• GimMom likes this

amie s

amie s

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

I just noticed that a very small skin tag that was pink a few days ago has started to turn black. It's almost like it was singed, but obviously the dog didn't stick her face in a fire. The only thing I can think of is her diet change. I'll keep you posted.

• GimMom likes this

SuperPug

SuperPug

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationOrlando, FL

A quick google search tells me that when skin tags turn black, they have died and will fall off on their own. Don't know if this is true, but quite a few sites claim this.

• amie s likes this

amie s

amie s

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

A quick google search tells me that when skin tags turn black, they have died and will fall off on their own. Don't know if this is true, but quite a few sites claim this.

Very cool... I wonder if it is raw related?... I'm going to assume it is. :)

• Prey Model Raw likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO