Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Teacup Yorkies

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

marjon

marjon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hi,
I have a 3 pound yorkie. Currently he is on commercial raw diet. Since he is so tiny I'm terrified of obstruction or any kind of irritation from ingested bone. What would be the safest choice or way introducing meaty bone to his diet since he is so tiny. Appreciate any helpful suggestions

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

Welcome! Chicken necks would be good to start with. Even little cornish hens. You can buy them whole, and section them out. They are small and easy to handle.

marjon

marjon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Thank you so much for your help. He is my world so probably I'll be nervous wreck. but I will def give it a try. Plz wish us luck. One thing that def concerns me is parasites and of course throwing up. These little guys can't tolerate much like most. I want him to have a happy long life. Thank you again.

marjon

marjon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Thank you so much for your help. He is my world so probably I'll be nervous wreck. but I will def give it a try. Plz wish us luck. One thing that def concerns me is parasites and of course throwing up. These little guys can't tolerate much like most. I want him to have a happy long life. Thank you again.

TRDmom

TRDmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Your Yorkie will be able to eat meat and organs of pretty much any animal you want. Chicken bones would probably be best for him to handle. He can also get calcium from egg shells (chicken or duck) if he will eat them; some dogs will, some won't. Chicken and duck feet are also good sources of nutrients. I had a Japanese Chin and he did fine getting raw. Kibble is actually more concerning because of all the recalls they have been having (for salmonella and other yuckies). :( I know someone who lost her service dog due to eating treats made in China. Very sad.

The 'getting started' guide is a good reference. http://preymodelraw....el-raw-diet-r19

In general, poultry is easier to digest so its recommended to start with that. It is recommended to try each new meat for two weeks before moving on to the next so its easier on your dog's digestion. The red meats tend to be richer, so they are introduced after poultry. Organs (e.g. liver) tend to be the richest and are introduced last. The whole transition period can last a couple of months.

I usually feed my dog outside on the patio. When its too cold or raining, I feed him in his kennel. I spray some vinegar after he's finished eating to clean up the kennel. Also, washing your hands after feeding your dog will keep things sanitary.

marjon

marjon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Thank you for your time explaining. I have tried organic egg shells before. He loved it but when he pooped he cried and cried from irritation and when I inspect his poop was nothing but undigested shells. Guessing sharp edges hurt him. Since then I'm afraid giving him any.

marjon

marjon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I also heard of horror stories about commercial food and treats. I can't phatom the guilt and pain loosing love ones like that. I constantly read and research. There are so many controversies in all directions. Its very confusing and scary. Anyways thank you again for your time.

TRDmom

TRDmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts

If you want to offer shells, perhaps you can mash them up really good first or put them in a blender to make them really fine so he won't get hurt.

I agree, you hear a lot of horror stories in every direction and everyone has their own strong opinion. I used to feed my dogs a 'mid grade' dog food and was looking at the higher end dog foods (like Earthborn and Orijen). After comparing cost and ingredients, I decided raw was the way to go. In the past my dogs ate raw, but it was in addition to their kibble. Personally, I am glad that I finally made the change. :)

marjon

marjon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Mine is on primal right now which very expensive. I can't wait to make a change. Wish me luck. :)

Iorveth

Iorveth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Our smallest dog is 60 lbs and even we grind the eggshells up for them. They aren't consistent enough as far as whether or not they'll eat the shells with the eggs so we let them dry and, when we have a full container, we grind them up and put them into the egg shell powder container. They don't actually get ground up into an actual powder but they are very tiny pieces that really have smoother edges. We keep it handy for introducing new proteins to add a little more "bone" to keep the poops firm or on the occasion I look into the freezer and discover we have forgotten to buy bone in stuff. It's great for mixing into all sorts of things. I love having it around. 

marjon

marjon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Thank you so much. I def will grind them next time.

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationWashington State
Keep us posted on the switch! 3 pounds, wow! My boys are about 70 pounds (might be slightly more right now) and my cat is 14-15 pounds. lol

Good luck on your transition from Primal to PMR!

marjon

marjon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Lol I know he is tiny. His name def suits him. Mini cooper. I gave him organic chicken breast. He ate the meat and licked the bone. Guessing by the time he got to the bone he was full. Poop is not diahrea but wet enough that I had to wash his behind. No throw up which I'm relieved
  • Jordann likes this

marjon

marjon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I'm so very glad I have found this site. I found the members very polite, curtious, and very helpful. Which is very rare in internet world.
  • naturalfeddogs, Jordann and TRDmom like this

TRDmom

TRDmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Glad he's doing OK. :) Some dogs transition easier than others. The source of the meat is also a factor, so its a good idea using organic meats if you can. Many of us can't find or afford it with bigger dogs. I've noticed people mention issues with chicken more than other meats. Companies have a tendency to "enhance" meats with salt (esp. poultry), which can be upsetting to the digestive tract.

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts

Lol I know he is tiny. His name def suits him. Mini cooper. I gave him organic chicken breast. He ate the meat and licked the bone. Guessing by the time he got to the bone he was full. Poop is not diahrea but wet enough that I had to wash his behind. No throw up which I'm relieved

Try chicken necks. The bone in bone in breasts may just be a little too big for him. It sounds like he may be needing some bone if his poops are that soft.

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationWashington State
How is he doing?

marjon

marjon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
He got hospitalized last night. Blood work shows abnormalities in his kidneys and liver. His blood shows sign of infection. Devastated. And so scared for him

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts

I'm so sorry! Keep us posted!

marjon

marjon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts