Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

We Have A Sick Puppy :(

- - - - - sick puppy help worried new raw

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

jaxon

jaxon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Hello everyone! Hoping to get a little help from all of the experts on this site :)

We started our 11 weeks old pup Jaxon on raw, following the guidelines of this site, on feb 3rd. We switched him from acana kibble and started with chicken back and quarters, he was doing well on them, loved them, but stool wasn't firm enough for us to move onto the next protein source. The first 2-3 days we were giving him skinless, but as he did well with that, we started leaving the skin on. Now, after 2 and a half weeks on being on raw chicken back, quarters and bone in breast, he's started having some major diarrhea. This issue started about 3 days ago and has gradually gotten worse. It went from regular brown diarrhea to a flush of clear to mucusy yellow non sense. We let him be the first and second day and cut back on his food intake a bit, but today, being the third day, we cut back even more and skipped his breakfast, gave him a drumstick for lunch and dinner, we also added a scoop of canned pure pumpkin to the two meals today which have added some color and density to his poops, but still pretty runny and he just had his first accident ever in his crate due to not being able to control himself. He's still very playful, eats, drinks lots of water and is as happy as ever. Hence why we haven't bothered with the vet option, but any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated as we're starting to freak out as he's gradually lost weight ever since we started him on raw. Again, he loves it, is super energetic on it, we love watching him enjoy his food, but not sure if these symptoms are normal, especially if he was doing so well at the beginning of the transition, given that he's a puppy, and that nothing has changed and we haven't added any rich sources, still chicken, it doesn't make sense what's going on.

Sorry for some of the details, we just wanted to fully explain the issue in case anyone has had similar experiences. Thank you everyone for reading this and helping us in any way, we greatly appreciate it and want to get our little guy feeling better!!

• Deroypini, Howardsi, Furypn and 1 other like this

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

Is the chicken you are feeding enhanced at all? Some dogs are super sensitive to it. Try to find 75 mg. or less of sodium.

• Howardsi, Furypn and Bellipn like this

TRDmom

TRDmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts

One thing I'm wondering is if he got into something he shouldn't have (other than the food you're giving him). Any food left out, trips to the park/dog park, or 'grazing' on a walk (particularly around 'trash day')? I would have expected the diarrhea much sooner than now if the meat/diet change was going to upset him. As naturalfeddogs said, it might be the source of the meat. Have you purchased a different kind/brand of chicken? Sounds like you're doing a good job with him.

As for losing weight, some dogs DO show weight loss and dander while transitioning. I believe people refer to this as "detoxing" (from kibble). Look at the following link for pics and commentary on a pup's transition to raw (any similarities?). http://preymodelraw....ry-through-raw/

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts

How is he doing?

jaxon

jaxon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Thank you for the advice! We got chicken from a different store the other day and we think that may have caused it- we will definitely be sticking with our usual store from now on because we know the quality is good! He is doing so much better, as of this afternoon his poop is back to normal and he is getting back to eating his normal meals, we are very happy! We are definitely going to avoid that store from now on to make sure this doesn't happen again :) Thank you again for the help, we really appreciate it!! 

• naturalfeddogs, Jordann, Furypn and 1 other like this

Iorveth

Iorveth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts

I'm glad to hear you have a lead on the cause. Some dogs are just more sensitive than others and it sounds like your pup is one of them. You'll get through the transition. There are always hiccups along the way somewhere. Mine was with our youngest who, turns out, has issues with chicken in general. Give him a few bites or chunks and he's fine but a whole meal will have us in the same situation you were in with Jaxon. It didn't matter where his chicken came from. He was on chicken for 3 weeks or so until we just gave up and switched to a new protein. Within two days, his poops were great. Experimented with chicken later, back to the runs. 

We all find things that go wrong and have to find a fix. You're not alone. I'm sure most of us on here have stories like that.

• naturalfeddogs, Furypn and Bellipn like this

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts

I'm so glad to hear Jaxon is doing better. Great news!

• Bellipn likes this

jaxon

jaxon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
hi everyone!
thank you for the help with our issue, I may have gotten a little excited when we had one good poop yesterday afternoon because this morning was back to a yellowish watery poop :(
we are wondering about transitioning him from chicken to a different protein source in case this is the problem- I know that red meat is too rich for him right now and turkey is very hard to find around our area.
loverth- I know you mentioned that you completely transitioned off of chicken, what protein source did you change too?
we are giving him a scoop of puréed pumpkin with most of his meals as well to help with the poop and are currently feeding him twice a day.
we really appreciate your help everyone! we are only feeding him twice a day and skipping some meals to try and clean out his system but we are getting worried that he isn't getting enough nutrients at this important time!
  • Bellipn likes this

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts

The yellow looking poop sounds like it's from the chicken. Turkey would be your next protein, but if you have a hard time finding it, you could go with fish maybe. But see if you can look around and find some turkey. 

• Bellipn likes this

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationWashington State
If you can't find turkey, duck or guinea hens or game fowl would be a good one to try too. I know when my boys get too many chicken meals in a row, they get yellow poops. Chicken causes this is most dogs.

I definitely think its time to introduce a new protein, since he's been on PMR since the 3rd. Good luck in your search! :)
  • Bellipn likes this

jaxon

jaxon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
thank you so much everyone! we are going to introduce a new protein today and will let you know how it goes in a week or so (maybe earlier if we need some more help!) :) :)
  • Bellipn likes this

Iorveth

Iorveth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts

I'm sorry I didn't see this sooner. Yes, we did switch him to turkey but, if I were in your situation, I would go for the little cornish game hens a lot of stores sell. Our boys get those and even our super sensitive guy (the old man Collie) took to them really well.

• Bellipn likes this

jaxon

jaxon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
thank you so much! we found a place with turkey so we are going to try that today and hopefully it will help, if not we will try the Cornish hen. one more question: Jaxon is 3 1/2 months and the bone at the base of the turkey wing seems very large so we aren't sure if he will be able to crush it. any advice?! thank you!!
  • naturalfeddogs and Bellipn like this

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts

Try it and see. If he doesn't seem to be able to get through it yet, you can use a kitchen mallet or hammer and smash it up some for him until he is able to handle it.

• Bellipn likes this

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationWashington State
How is he doing?
  • Bellipn likes this

jaxon

jaxon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Hi everyone, thank you for all the help and the concern about Jaxon! Since last time I posted, we have started including turkey necks in his feeding, his stool is still hit or miss. He has some solid and some liquid but there is always a yellow-ish tint regardless of the consistency. We are still incorporating a tablespoon of pureed pumpkin once a day. We are still removing the skin from the chicken and our ratio of bones to meat is definitely still higher on the bone side. Other than the stool issue, everything is great! His coat is looking amazing, we can tell that he is going through the detox process and his energy level is amazing and increasing every day, he is a very happy boy! We are just hoping that his body keeps adjusting and with the addition of the turkey it should help because he was getting too much chicken before. Any additional stories or suggestions are greatly appreciated, we love getting advice from everyone on here! Thank you :)

• naturalfeddogs likes this

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts

Sounds like things are going well! Maybe feeding turkey will eventually clear it all up. Keep us posted!

tdodar01

tdodar01

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I had some loose stool problems with my new puppy too. I thought it was something I was doing so I kept making adjustments. I brought a stool sample to his first vet check and it turned out he had Coccidia which was causing the loose stool. Consider having the stool checked to make sure he doesn't have something like my Louie had.

niniraymond

niniraymond

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Hello Everyone! I put my dog on RAW feeding since  one week. We started with chicken... but He did a lottttt of reaction Vomit and explosive diarrhea with being lethargic during 5 days ... So I switched to Turkey It went well.... But for the last 2 days 100% turkey meat and Bones, he has vomit like Yellowish-white foamy liquid at 5 am in the morning.... I tried to give him a snack before bed time but he did vomit too. This morning, he had loose stool then 10 mins after he poop again but it was very watery yellow, with mucus and some chunks of poop... -__- I'm kind of disapointed. When stuff like this happened I always want to put him on Kibble at night. and Raw in the morning.. :( 

Summer is comming and if he still has difficulties with dealling with his first protein source how would it be with other... He will have the runs all summer long?????

TRDmom

TRDmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Hello Everyone! I put my dog on RAW feeding since  one week. We started with chicken... but He did a lottttt of reaction Vomit and explosive diarrhea with being lethargic during 5 days ... So I switched to Turkey It went well.... But for the last 2 days 100% turkey meat and Bones, he has vomit like Yellowish-white foamy liquid at 5 am in the morning.... I tried to give him a snack before bed time but he did vomit too. This morning, he had loose stool then 10 mins after he poop again but it was very watery yellow, with mucus and some chunks of poop... -__- I'm kind of disapointed. When stuff like this happened I always want to put him on Kibble at night. and Raw in the morning.. :(

Summer is comming and if he still has difficulties with dealling with his first protein source how would it be with other... He will have the runs all summer long?????

niniraymond, I am sorry to hear your boy isn't feeling well. A week is a short time, but he shouldn't be so sick from the new food. The poultry may have too much sodium or he may not be able to handle poultry well (hard to say via the internet). The worst stool I have seen from my dogs is moist, yellowish stool after eating chicken (from one of them). You might want to try another meat source that is available to you, such as beef.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sick, puppy, help, worried, new, raw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO