Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

New To Raw, Confused More Than Anything Please Help!

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

Here's my two cents...

I wouldn't be too concerned about the throw up. Do monitor her though; a dog constantly throwing up obviously isn't feeling well. Otherwise, does she have energy, clear eyes, look "normal"? I would continue feedings as usual.

My dogs used to eat raw and kibble (for years), never had issues. I know of many people who feed both and don't have issues. Personally--again, my personal experience. Anyone can chime in with their experiences--I haven't heard of a dog that experienced issues from eating kibble and raw. There are also people (veterinarians and owners) that recommend feeding cooked chicken as part of a homemade diet. I assume their dogs haven't died over eating cooked meat. To me, the biggest issue are cooked bones which can splinter (ouch!). Cooked meat as a treat shouldn't be a problem.

The more foods you offer at this time, the less you know what could be causing upset. Some people have dogs who can't handle poultry. If there is one meat bothering the dog and you're feeding multiple meats at one time, its harder to rule out the exact cause. Hence the tendency to play it safe and only offer one meat at a time. You know your dog, we're just online reading. Educate yourself (which I can see you're doing) and make your own calls. Best wishes!

In the beginning during the transition process, it's best not to feed other stuff, especially cooked, even treats at this stage. That's just adds more for the body to try to adjust to, and increases the risk of digestive upset. Once fully transitioned, yes some dogs do fine with mixed stuff, others not so much. It just depends on the dog. 

• Jordann likes this

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts

TRD mom is right, that chicken could be the issue. You may want to think about possibly trying another. Have you found anywhere where you can get turkey?

Maj

Maj

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Decided to stick it out with raw and see how she goes for few days.

As far as the chicken goes im not sure if it has been enhanced or not, the butchers said it wasnt but again not sure if thars true.

I did buy some salmon oil which I will be supplementing with once she gets used to everything.

Been reading up on the detox period i hope this is what she is going through rather than not getting used to the raw.
  • naturalfeddogs and Jordann like this

Maj

Maj

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Another question for down the line.. When you introduce a new meat like beef or lamb what bones should you give in order to keep their stools formed. If i remove the chicken then that means she wont be getting bones and i dont know which bones to feed from lamb or beef as im scared she may break a tooth.

Maj

Maj

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Another question for down the line.. When you introduce a new meat like beef or lamb what bones should you give in order to keep their stools formed. If i remove the chicken then that means she wont be getting bones and i dont know which bones to feed from lamb or beef as im scared she may break a tooth.

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts

With lamb, you can give ribs or shoulders. I have given mine leg of lamb from walmart, and they all went right through that bone, so you should be ok with that. 

As far as beef, most beef bones are too dense for most dogs. Ribs maybe, if you have a really strong chewer. 

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationWashington State
Since you are feeding twice a day, you can give her bone heavy meals for one meal and a boneless for the next meal.

Stay strong, we are here to support you! :)

Maj

Maj

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Hi,

Just an update she is doing really well, no more vomiting and her poos came out white does that mean too much bone? Or is it supposed to be like this? 

Thanks everyone

Spy Car

Spy Car

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Good question. I know I did not stop feeding Chicken when I started (slowly) adding in beef and lamb for just this reason. Chicken is a great source of raw edible bone.

Eliminating a protein (Chicken) that has proven itself to be well-tolerated so that a new protein can be fed singularly does not make sense to me. 

Bill

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
If they are coming out white, that means its too much bone. If the poop turns white after being on the ground for a day or so, that is normal. :) If you need to add some boneless, make sure to do it very slowly. ;)

Maj

Maj

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Jordan - took your advice and gave her boney meal in the morning then boneless at night.  Going to see how her stools are tomorrow.

I have noticed my dog is literally only pooing once a day is this normal on raw?

Also I was going to go by some lamb tomorrow but we have mutton which is a lot cheaper here will this do instead? I am thinking of introducing another protein  And I just realised that I have been feeding whole chicken without skin...should I introduce chicken with skin before I move on to another protein source? 

Last but not least is it normal for a dog to only chew like 2 -3 times before gulping the food down? I gave her a big piece of chicken breast and she bit into it like 2-3 times and she swallowed, it didn't cause any problem. Normally when its bones she definitely chews it more before swallowing. 

Maj

Maj

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Just thought I would post a pic of Kita the Akita.

IMG_2195_zpsevve2jzg.jpg

• Jordann and TRDmom like this

TRDmom

TRDmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Pretty girl!! :)

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
Gorgeous girl!

My boys only poop once a day as well and the size is so much smaller than when they were on kibble. I would start adding skin and fat back to her chicken,if you haven't already done so. :) Yes, dogs do not chew like we do, they will crunch things a few times, just to get it small enough to get down their throats. When I feed chicken necks to my guys, they might chomp once or twice before swallowing their food.

If mutton is cheaper and you will be feeding that more often than lamb, go for the mutton. :)

Maj

Maj

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

So far so good she hasn't had any bouts of diarrhea, trying her on beef now which is very expensive here even more so than lamb.

I read that they need to eat as much of red meat as possible but this is becoming very costly now. Usually spent around £100 or less a month on food including treats. so far i have gone well above that.

I am hoping once she has fully transitioned on to this diet it may cost less as I can mix the foods instead of feeding a certain same meat the whole week leaving me enough meat to at least last the month...(if that makes sense)

I will probably try buying mutton as that works out cheaper but I was reluctant as I read that this meat should not be given because it does not give the dog the nutrients compared to lamb.....

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts

Kita is beautiful! Beef and lamb/mutton here is really expensive as well. Beef heart is probably the cheapest of the two. Once you are fully transitioned, it could get cheaper. Try looking for free older meats from people you know, and if you can run ads for it as well. Also, you can look for butchers as well for scraps.

Maj

Maj

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Could do with some more advice at the moment. 

Today she has had very bad diarrhea and vomited her food in the morning about 2-3 hours after she ate it. It was undigested and she just ate that back up.

But what I noticed in the morning she was reluctant in eating her chicken (was feeding her lamb meat all week) it was like she forced her self to eat it because she was hungry.

Now its time to feed her again and she is refusing to eat... What do I do? Is this normal? Im thinking she doesnt like her raw food. 

Yesterday she ate a egg mayonnaise sandwich which was fallen on the floor for when we went on a walk and Im not sure if that is the cause of her diarrhea as she has been absolutely fine all week. 

She looks so low and she attempts to link the chicken thigh but then justs runs off...

Please could somebody advise. 

Thanks

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts

It sounds like the sandwich she ate may have upset her stomach.  If it happened yesterday, maybe give it until later today and offer her her food again. She may still have a bit of an upset stomach, so it may take a day or so for her to feel like eating again.

When you do offer her food, try something really boney like chicken backs, or drumsticks. No rich red meats for a couple of days, to give her stomach time to get back in order again.

Maj

Maj

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Well shes turned her nose at all the raw meats. I actually went and purchased a lot of meat today which will last me the month and now this happens lol

Its been around 9 hours since her last meal and she wont even come near her bowl normally she devours her meals.

Im hoping its a tummy upset and that is the reason for her not eating.

If she doesnt eat anything tomorrow should I then take her to vets (they will out her on a sensitivity diet) or is this something normal for when starting out on raw? Tomorrow should be her 3rd week on raw.

I dis try chicken backs and legs but she refused to eat that. I even tried giving her lamb but she wouldnt eat that either.

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
How is she doing?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO