Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Help For My Sisters Dogs

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

lovemyboys88

lovemyboys88

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

So I have a quick question. Today my sisters Bully baby was diagnosed with diabetes. She is currently on kibble and I was wondering if going raw would help regulate the diabetes? I would think the kibble would be an issue as far as all the fillers, but seeing as how I am new to raw feeding myself I figured I would ask those who have more experience. Happily though my sister asked her vet about doing raw and she didnt seem to have a problem with it, so that is a step in the right direction.

TRDmom

TRDmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 468 posts

I'm glad to hear about a vet not being against raw feeding, but sorry for your sister and her dog. Illness of any kind is never fun. Depending on the kibble being fed, most have carbs/fillers that could negatively affect the diabetes, whereas strictly raw would only be meat/bone/fat (all of which are used by the body with minimal waste, compared to kibble, hence the difference in poop of raw and kibble-fed dogs). Even grain-free kibble has vegetables, like peas and potatoes. I'm not sure how much raw feeding will help, but I do believe it will be better than kibble for the aforementioned reasons.

• lovemyboys88 likes this

jagger

jagger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Many diabetic people have to do carb counting, and there's mucho carbs in many of the kibbles on the market. There's lots of good info on the net about controlling canine diabetes through raw diet.

lovemyboys88

lovemyboys88

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
That's just what I was thinking! She is hoping to start payday. Thanks for the input all!
  • Jordann likes this

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationWashington State
Send her this way. Make sure to show her the getting started guide. That's awesome her vet is ok with making the switch!!

lovemyboys88

lovemyboys88

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
Oh I have been telling my sis how amazing this site is. She is very excited to change over, the vet wanted to get weight on her as she had lost a fair amount of weight very quickly, before switching her. The vet is worried with the adjust ment and her being so thin it might be too rough. Great news is she has started to put weight back on and my sis is hoping to get started sooner rather than later. I just want to say that this is an awesome forum. I have never been on one that is suportive of its members. You guys rock!!
  • Jordann likes this

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationWashington State
What are the vet's views on raw? It's hard to find a vet who supports, or is even semi okay with raw feeding. My vet supports the BARF diet, but isn't too sure about me feeding just meats, bones, and organs. "Dogs need veggies and fruits for variety in their diet." I laughed and told him they get chicken, turkey, pork, beef, deer, elk and occasionally fish so they have a good variety in their diet. When I told him about pork and fish being fed raw, he tried to talk me out of that. He has eased up on the raw bashing since he has seen how awesome they look, but he still does his best to bring it up whenever I see him. :lol:

I cannot wait to see how her dog makes the switch! How are your boys doing?

lovemyboys88

lovemyboys88

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
From talking to my sis the vet seemed very comfortable with her makinbg the switch to raw once baby girl is at her healthy weight. I am kind of glad because we go to the same vet so that will make my life so much easier when I take them in....I never did quite understand where the need for veggies and fruits came in as a necessity. I know they can eat them but my boys never were much for veggie eaters, besides what was in their kibble. They are both happy little campers now. They know when its feeding time and stand by the refrigerator like sentries. Their bellies seem to be adjusting well to the chicken. I am going to be adding a little more meat into their meals and see how it goes. Last time it gave them soft poo, so hoping for a better outcome this time. The only thing that is worrying me is their water intake, it has gone down a lot, but I know I read that its because their food is moist now, so I am keeping an eye on them. Their gums are still good and pink and they aren't constipated so I am pretty sure all is well on that front. I also noticed that my formerly lanky german shorthair seems like he is filling out nicely and my amstaff is showing a waistline again. They look great. I even had my hubby say he noticed a difference in them and he is glad we switched, and he is a hard mountain to move :)
  • Jordann likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO