Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Ugh Allergies Update Msg #22

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

Overgron

Overgron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationCanada

So my JRT has been on raw for almost a year now. He has food allergies (view my first post about his skin issues). His red, bumpy rash is back -_- And I think he has an ear infection, he has black/brownish stuff in one of his ears and he shakes his head often... -_- When we started him on PMR, using chicken backs, etc, his red rash disappeared. He's still on a chicken diet, I add salmon oil and kefir to his meals. We've been noticing his red rash was back a couple of weeks ago. Sometimes it's better, sometimes it's really red, we can see his ears and inside his ears are really red. So I wondered, what is it that we're giving him that causes his skin to become inflamed/red and I remembered that the week before, I gave him eggs... He'd get raw chicken eggs and quail eggs sometimes. So I have a feeling he's allergic to eggs... Before realizing it could be the eggs, I thought it could be the chicken but how would that be possible when we started PMR with him using chicken backs, thighs, etc and THAT made his initial rash go away... :/ So right now we're checking his belly everyday and not giving him eggs. And next week if his skin is better we'll give him eggs again to see if it causes his skin to become red again. What do you guys think?

Also, his ear infection... How can I go at treating that without using meds from the vet? Not that I don't want to go see the vet but I would prefer treating him naturally :/ Unless he really needs a treatment from the vet... Help!

jagger

jagger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Sounds like you're fighting the same battle we are with the minpin. Started off thinking allergies, now we're not so sure. Sebaceous adenitis is fairly common in some dogs, minpin included so we're trying the oily dog route to see if it has any positive effects. As for ear infections, i'm not a big lover of pharma anything unless it's necessary - Jagger has been dealing with ear infections for quite some time - and the vet prescribed mometamax. Sometimes it's better to forego the possible side effects and treat the dog, the drops worked fast, cleared up the infection and the smell.

You may be dealing with different issues here. Coconut oil is wonderful stuff, but it can clog up the pores and as someone said - it can lead to more licking and irritation. Not all are coconut oils are created equal, we just picked up a jar from costco - far cry from what is bought from walmart or other retailers. This stuff actually tastes like coconut and the dog loves to eat it.

How often do you bathe your JRT and what do you use?

Overgron

Overgron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationCanada

We tried to rub his red spots with coconut oil last year but he'd just lick himself and it made the rash worse... So we stopped.

We bathe Maxwell maybe once a month or so? And we use a natural shampoo. This is what we use: http://www.cloudstar.../buddy-wash.asp. I don't think his shampoo is the problem as his rash comes and goes...

jagger

jagger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

I'm not a vet, or an expert by any means so take this with a grain of salt... For me, it's getting frustrating dealing with the vet's guessing games with no real end in sight and it's driving me to research skin conditions to death. I'm sure if we gave him cyclosporine or some steriod it would fix him up - at least for a while but it won't solve the issue.

Has he had any vaccines or medical treatments around the time of the rash outbreak? Pyoderma is a bacterial infection for example, usually comes on when the immune system is depressed. Not saying that's the issue but there's so many things it can be, so many causes.

I don't buy anything premade for the little guy anymore, I just don't trust manufacturers, I don't trust the labels. We've been using a home made oatmeal based shampoo as a final step in his bath regimen. Baking soda, finely ground oatmeal, few drops of peppermint essential oil, bit of melted coconut oil, and vitamin E oil. it doesn't make him lick frantically after the fact but he will groom his coat.

Overgron

Overgron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationCanada

No I completely agree. We've already seen the vet last year who said it could be SO MANY THINGS and to feed him their hideous "hypoallergenic" crap food to see if it would change anything. I resorted to buying my own choice of hypoallergenic kibbles that weren't as crappy but it didn't do anything to his condition. Of course... Which is why we switched to raw and it solved the problem within a week... I don't want to numb the problem with steroids or whatever, I want to stop feeding him what makes him allergic... And right now I'm pointing the finger at eggs. If we're not giving him eggs for 2 weeks and his skin is fine and we give him an egg or two after that and his skin becomes red, we'll have our culprit. 

Now I just need help to treat his damn ear infection :(

Vaccines - Maxwell hasn't been vaccinated in over a year so it's not that. 

Shampoo - Interesting. I'll keep it in mind.

jagger

jagger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Don't let the poor bugger suffer with an ear infection, don't use commercial cleaners and such - making it wet can make it worse - we found that out the hard way. Get some proper drops from a vet. I couldn't imagine what it would be like to have constant pain in the ears. Mometamax had his infection cleared up in a few days, well worth the risk IMO.

Devils advocate here. As for the eggs, I hope it's that simple. We changed the dog to raw thinking it was allergies to commercial foods - pretty common right? Started him off on chicken, his coat seemed to get better. Didn't last, took him off chicken thinking that was his allergen. He got better for a while, fur started growing back - then it got worse. Took him off beef and pork as well, maybe he's allergic. Being on rabbit and bison seemed to help for a while but now he's worse, worse than it's ever been. If its food allergens, we're in trouble and probably looking at a vegan dog.

Different directions and it's driving us nuts. Researching brought me to adenitis, it comes and goes - which is what's been happening to him - and it parallels allergies. So maybe he's not allergic to the foods at all. This all started when he was a year old, another indicator. We can get him biopsied, but my only concern is that they take fairly large chunks from around his neck - and so far there's been no sign of it there.

All I can say is good luck... Hope i don't sound too jaded. We've been chasing allergies for 2 years now, only to find that we're chasing our own tails.

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

What else are you feeding besides chicken? 

Overgron

Overgron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationCanada

I took Maxwell to the vet today and he has a very minor ear infection caused by his allergies so he's getting ear drops now. He's also overweight... Oops... Too much good raw. He's 30lbs and should be about 20lbs... It's winter so we don't go out as much. In the summer he swims A LOT... We're reducing his portions now.

His mix is: Chicken, crushed chicken bones, liver, vegetables (sweet potatoes, beets, carrots, cranberries, etc.), kelp

I add chicken necks, chicken hearts, eggs (sometimes), kefir, salmon oil. 

So I think now it could be kelp... Because I was trying to figure out what was it that we are giving him now that we didn't when we started feeding him raw... When we started raw, we started with chicken backs, chicken quarters, turkey necks, pork ribs, etc, etc, etc. We didn't add anything like supplements. And he didn't have a rash. I think there's kelp in all kibbles. I checked the ones he was on before and they had it... Now we add kelp to his raw food and his rash reappeared. I'll stop giving him kelp and see if it makes a difference...

What could I replace kelp with for vitamins?

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationWashington State
If he is only getting chicken, that may be causing the issue. I know when one dog here gets too much chicken in a month, he gets really itchy. You want to have at least 4 proteins in your rotation to give him enough variety.

I cannot attest to all the other things you are adding. It sounds more like a BARF diet is what you guys are doing. Maybe someone else will be able to offer other suggestions. :)

Overgron

Overgron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationCanada

Today we didn't feed him the kelp and his skin is already not as red... I think we may have found the culprit... It'll take a few days to make sure.

Thank you for your input :)

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts

After having fed raw for a year, there should be lots of other proteins added by now. I would go ahead and start him on some turkey for the next couple of weeks,  then move on to pork. My guess is having fed only chicken for so long may have something to do with it. There may be some nutritional deficiancies going on that could be lowering his immune system. Definantly start giving turkey, like I said for the next couple of weeks, then you can move on to something like duck if you can find it. Do the same, then pork, beef etc....

• Jordann likes this

Overgron

Overgron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationCanada

Maxwell hasn't just been on chicken for a year. He's had pork, beef, turkey, duck, fish, quail, goose and chicken. He's had several proteins. Right now he's on quail, turkey, veal and chicken :) Last week he was on chicken only though, which is why you probably thought I was only feeding him chicken :P

• naturalfeddogs likes this

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts

Oh ok. My mistake! Sorry. Yea, if you notice a difference when you take the kelp out, then I would keep it out. It sounds like you are feeding a good variety otherwise, and kelp isn't a natural part of a dogs diet anyway, so you really won't be taking anything away nutritionally. 

Overgron

Overgron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationCanada

Got it. I add kelp to my cat's raw food too. Should I not? I just saw online that it had a lot of good vitamins and minerals...

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts

You can, but I wouldn't. Not that I think it will hurt them, but I just don't think it's something that a cat or dog is really going to benefit from that much. There is nothing in kelp that isn't already in raw meat/bones/organs, and in a much more available, usable form for both cats and dogs. 

And if it seems to have already possibly been the cause of problems for your JRT, I think I would just cut it out all together.

Overgron

Overgron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationCanada

The rash seems to be going away slowly :)

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts

Good! Keep us posted on it! I hope you have found the source of your problem.

Overgron

Overgron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationCanada

A little update :) Maxwell hasn't had kelp in more than a week now and his skin is A LOT less red. His ear infection is healed and the skin in his ear is pink, as it was super red and warm before. I am now convinced that kelp is what he's allergic to. I'll no longer feed it to him. I think he may also be allergic to eggs as he has a little bit of a rash after he's fed (there's quail eggs in his mix) but it's extremely minor so it's not as big of an allergy as the kelp. But for future meals, I will no longer give him kelp or eggs :) Sad because he loved raw eggs :(

jagger

jagger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Be aware that kelp is high in iodine, and can result in hypothyroidism. Not something I would feed to a dog or cat.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/11765244

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts

I'm glad you finally found the problem! I know that is a huge relief for both you and Maxwell! :thumbsu:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO