Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Ugh Allergies Update Msg #22

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

Overgron

Overgron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationCanada

Thank you :)

@jagger, yikes... thanks for the info

Overgron

Overgron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationCanada

Alright so after a lot of 'home testing' we have finally put a finger on Maxwell's red thighs... Friction... Yup. Not allergies. It came to my attention that the more active he is, the redder he is. I've checked his thighs before going to the dog park= fine. Back home= red. So before an outing, I put on Anti-Monkey Butt powder, which was advised to me last year by someone on here :) It's working well! He's also been wearing a cone because he licks the inside of his thighs a lot and that causes a lot more friction. We're leaving it on until it's completely healed. 

I had applied moisturizer last week and he became so red!!!! So I washed it off and put on a cortisone cream instead and it was worse! It's the 'rubbing' effect that causes him to be red. I gave him a bath the other day, did not touch the inside of his thighs but the friction from the water being splashed on his thighs made him red... 

Also, I realized this only happens in the winter... When the air is a lot drier and the inside of his thighs stays damp more easily. Because last summer, he was fine. He would swim in my parents' pool (it uses salt and not chlorine) and he was perfectly fine, I think the salt helped a lot. But over the winter it started again. 

So that is it. My conclusion. He's back on eating his regular meals with different proteins and such but no more supplements, other than some occasional treats like cheese, kefir, etc.

jagger

jagger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Glad to hear you got it figured out. Some room temp coconut oil on the skin really helps, but buy the good quality stuff. Great for cooking with too, costco carries the gallon jugs, it's delicious and Jagger loves it too.

I make my own body butter for dry skin, smells wonderful, and it's safe to eat for people and dogs. I am male, and this stuff works like Axe body spray, women seem to love the smell of a man in chocolate :) No problems putting it on the dog's skin. Cocoa butter is the fat from the bean, contains no harmful stuff to dogs as far as my research goes. If anyone can say differently, i'm all ears.

Half and half good quality coconut oil and real organic cocoa butter. Cocoa butter will come in hard blocks.

In a pot, melt together on low temp and stir. You want both to melt and combine well, but keep it on a low temp. Let cool on stove.

Add some essential oil to taste or smell when the oil has cooled, I like peppermint (chocolate peppermint, mmmmm).

Stir it up well then put it in the fridge and stir frequently, as it cools off, it will harden again. Use a bowl that is hand mixer friendly.

Here's the trick, when it gets hard - all oil solidified - but not rock hard - you want to blend it up with a hand mixer. Keep blending til fluffy, store it in containers in a cool place so it remains softish. If you keep it in the fridge, it gets too hard to use.

Apply as necessary, and sparingly, this stuff melts quickly to oil when it hits your skin. Most times regular hand cream is sufficient, but my skin gets dry at times where it cracks. This stuff really helps, but it's somewhat greasy.

Overgron

Overgron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationCanada

Thanks Jagger!

I can't put anything on Maxwell's inner thighs because as stated above, the rubbing effect causes it to become really red. He's SO sensitive. The rest of his skin on his body though is perfectly fine. When I apply the anti-monkey butt powder, I just sprinkle some on and that's it.

I make my own deodorant :) The only one that'll work for me! It uses coconut oil too :)

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

Wait....you make your own deodorant? How? Does the coconut oil not get onto your clothes? How did I miss this?? lol!

Overgron

Overgron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationCanada

Yes I do. And no it doesn't :P It's perfect. This is the recipe I use: http://www.theprairi...-deodorant.html

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

That's pretty cool! Wayne would never go for it, but I may give it a try. 

DobeLoveX2

DobeLoveX2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I make my own deodorant too. I use a little different recipe and put it into a push-up container similar to the store bought ones. What does the arrowroot do for you?

jagger

jagger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts
Interesting. My GF can't use regular deodorants, needs to find an all natural. Going to give this a try for her.

How's the pup doing?

Overgron

Overgron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationCanada

I make my own deodorant too. I use a little different recipe and put it into a push-up container similar to the store bought ones. What does the arrowroot do for you?

I'm not sure what the arrowroot does but the recipe works for me so! lol :P Commercial deodorants just don't work for me... And I'm not a heavy sweater... I have no problem with this homemade recipe!! It's the only thing that works and the batch I make lasts so long! I put it in an empty LUSH container :P

Interesting. My GF can't use regular deodorants, needs to find an all natural. Going to give this a try for her.

How's the pup doing?

Good luck!

Maxwell is doing well! No more rash unless he licks it, which is why we leave his cone on unless we can keep an eye on him. I've been giving him epsom salt baths every 2 days, applying his Anti Monkey Butt powder when he gets out (because otherwise his skin stays humid and causes bad friction and he comes red) and it seems to be working really well! (Thanks for the suggestion Jagger!). As soon as he starts swimming in my parents' pool again I won't have to give him baths anymore, all summer. 

As for food allergies, he has none. Because we started feeding him everything we had been giving him before and he doesn't get a rash anymore, so the problem really is friction.

jagger

jagger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Maxwell is doing well! No more rash unless he licks it, which is why we leave his cone on unless we can keep an eye on him. I've been giving him epsom salt baths every 2 days, applying his Anti Monkey Butt powder when he gets out (because otherwise his skin stays humid and causes bad friction and he comes red) and it seems to be working really well! (Thanks for the suggestion Jagger!). As soon as he starts swimming in my parents' pool again I won't have to give him baths anymore, all summer. 

As for food allergies, he has none. Because we started feeding him everything we had been giving him before and he doesn't get a rash anymore, so the problem really is friction.

Glad to hear he's doing better and it's figured out. Anti monkey butt powder, i'll have to look into that.

Overgron

Overgron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationCanada

http://www.antimonkeybutt.com/

:)

jagger

jagger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Just tried your recipe for deodorant using some peppermint essential oils (all we had). Gets the seal of approval from the girlfriend, she's going to start using it. It feels like antiperspirant once it's rubbed in, not oily at all.

Thanks for posting that.

Overgron

Overgron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationCanada

You're welcome :) Glad she liked it! I personally don't add the cornstarch and it works fine :) And I don't use essential oil either because I like the coconut scent hehe!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO