Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Do You Do Wellness Exams?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

blacksheep

blacksheep

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

I'm almost wondering if we should just stay NOT doing them.  We're moving and I was looking at the plans with local vets in that area.  One of them flat out said in their basic plan, they do comprehensive exams but don't do blood work unless you upgrade.  Another local vet, although cheaper, was nowhere near as cheap as if I just got all vaccines, medications, a fecal, and a hwm snap test by themselves.  Both offered unlimited exams on top of two comprehensives and an annual dental (which we don't get).  

Come to think about it, when I was in school, most of the hospitals I was at didn't run full blood panels for basic plans.  They basically did a basic one over that all vets do prior to vaccines/heartworm medications.  And then there was that incident I went in for a comprehensive somewhere and was charged $60 for the vet to, I kid you not, open Spyro's mouth and touch his fur.  :mad:   I asked if they'd do anything else and they said no because his snap test and fecal were done at a clinic that didn't do "comprehensives" (so I wasn't going to get another one.)

Not that money is an issue but we now have a human child on the way!

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,282 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

Probably should get blood work done yearly, but I don't. Everybody has been fine, and really just no reason to go. 

TRDmom

TRDmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts

I am certainly not against vets, but take my dogs only when needed. We are able to do a 3yr rabies here and unless the dog is hurt or ill, I don't go for other things. We also have low-cost mobile clinics in the area that do vaccines, heart-worm testing, and micro-chipping (basically "well visits"). 

FYI, I have spent a small fortune in vet bills for my animals (mainly on dental work). Vets need to make money like everyone else and will gladly pull you in any chance they get. Having children, I'd rather go into debt for them than the dogs.

• naturalfeddogs likes this

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationWashington State
Congrats on expecting!!!

We don't go in unless we need to. I do their shots (rabies and annual vaccine) and their monthly worming on my own. I feel them at least once a week, so I know if something is "off" with them better than the vet who rarely sees them will. When we were on kibble, Calvin had to have his anal glands expressed internally, because externally wasn't helping. That was $25 and then the $71 just to walk in the door, I decided that was a bit much. $71 is just the office visit and exam. I really should get their bloodwork done, as they are "seniors" now, but they are healthy and have no issues (KNOCK ON WOOD!!!!!) so far. I'm the same way with myself, only go in when needed and for the annual visit. :startle:

I just feel I know my dogs better than anyone, and know if anything is off. My husband is an EMT so does the doctoring if needed. We have most of the drugs needed to numb them up. Antibiotics are the only thing we don't have ... Yet. Thank you Internet! :lol:

blacksheep

blacksheep

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Congrats on expecting!!!

We don't go in unless we need to. I do their shots (rabies and annual vaccine) and their monthly worming on my own. I feel them at least once a week, so I know if something is "off" with them better than the vet who rarely sees them will. When we were on kibble, Calvin had to have his anal glands expressed internally, because externally wasn't helping. That was $25 and then the $71 just to walk in the door, I decided that was a bit much. $71 is just the office visit and exam. I really should get their bloodwork done, as they are "seniors" now, but they are healthy and have no issues (KNOCK ON WOOD!!!!!) so far. I'm the same way with myself, only go in when needed and for the annual visit. :startle:

Thank you!

Rabies has to be done here by a DVM.  I'm ok with that lol.  

That and Loki is a real jerk wad when doing most things (including nail trim.)  I'd rather him be pissed at a stranger than me  :D I couldn't imagine trying to give him DHPP at home.  Thinking about switching to Trifexis or Sentinal or Bravecto/Nexgard.  My fur kids are real cuddly and Luna really likes children.  The last thing I want is her sneaking in and having my daughter covered in Frontline or something.

• Jordann likes this

TRDmom

TRDmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts

For heartworm prevention, I use ivermectin (like this http://www.tractorsu...le--swine-50-ml ). My breeder uses it on all of his dogs. He recommended .10/cc per 10/lbs (so a 50 pound dog would get 0.50/cc). I bought a box of 100 count syringes for less than $10, the medicine was about $40, and it has lasted a couple of years with multiple dogs. I give the medicine orally each month. Super easy, cheap, and (most importantly) effective.

blacksheep

blacksheep

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

What sizes are those syringes?
I used to buy horse ivomec for my rats and it was in a 10cc syringe.  That was by size (1/2 grain of rice) for them.  I have a 7lb dog...lol.  Quite a bit difficult to give 0.07mL out of a 10mL syringe.

Erica

Erica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts
  • LocationNorthern California
Hopefully this isn't too super inactive, and this kind of goes along the lines with everything else but.....is there SOMETHINGS a raw feeder should do on a yearly basis? Like, is blood work only recommended for older dogs? I know I'm doing good but, I just want to make sure haha

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,282 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

Blood work is the only thing I have ever heard of anyone doing, and it's really only if you just want to see how things are at the moment. My dogs energy level is all normal, and they are all doing just fine so I haven't felt a need to have any done. 

TRDmom

TRDmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts

What sizes are those syringes?
I used to buy horse ivomec for my rats and it was in a 10cc syringe.  That was by size (1/2 grain of rice) for them.  I have a 7lb dog...lol.  Quite a bit difficult to give 0.07mL out of a 10mL syringe.

SO SORRY I haven't replied sooner! In case you're still wanting to know, I get 1cc syringes. I had a small dog, about 10 pounds, and usually gave him 0.2cc per month. He never had any trouble from the medicine (or worms). I gave a slightly higher dose because 0.1cc sometimes looked like it was mainly air instead of liquid and wanted to make sure he got enough. Ivomec is given at MUCH higher doses to deal with other types of internal parasites (my breeder does that). For heartworm prevention, you can use the lower does that I already detailed. 

Iorveth

Iorveth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

We don't. Well, not now that we only have the two younger ones. I like to start taking them in every year when they turn 8 and, if there is a reason to think they should need it, we talk to the vet about starting bi-annuals at 10. Iorveth has been in every year so far because of puppy exams and getting the "beginning of life" vaccines and things taken care of, but now both are on the 3 year rabies schedule and will only go in as needed until I feel they should be going in every year to catch something they may develop as they get older. Buck is due for his rabies this year. Actually, both are due the same year. I'd like to be able to take them in at the same time since I am currently going once in February and once in August, but with it only being every 3 years, I'm not really worried about it. 

We go to the on base vet at our old base across the Sound so we either have to drive down and around Puget Sound or take the ferry across. It makes for an all day trip but, ridiculously, is STILL cheaper than taking them to the vet right down the street that we use for our pony. We use that vet for the pony because they are less than 2 miles from the barn we board him at (which makes them about 6 miles from our house), they are a 24 hour clinic which would mean they already have all of the pony's medical info in an emergency, and other boarders use them so we can split the farm call fee on scheduled visits. Great situation for the pony, just plain not financially practical for the dogs. Although, we do keep their files with us so we have all of their medical history on hand in case of an emergency. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO