Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

It's Almost Been A Year!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

m_ly

m_ly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
Hey fellow PMR feeders!
I can't believe it has almost been a year since I got my puppy! She has been on raw since the day I brought her home except for the two weeks hiccup when we gave up completely. Don't ask.

She never has consistent poop! The only weeks I see firm stool is adding at least one leg quarter to every meal. She is fed 1-2 times a day. Is this too much bone?

Next question, plaque on teeth and bad breath. What the hey is going on? I see raw fed dogs whose teeth look immaculate! Should I be giving more bone? Go back to chunks rather than ground? Help!

Also I'm really concerned that I'm not giving her a "balanced raw diet" from what I've been reading. I mean she gets the organs, meat, and bone. I don't feel like I need to add anything extra other than that?
Thanks in advance everyone!

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

She may need more bone. That's what it sounds like. 

I would feed large chunks of meat rather than ground for sure. Large chunks, especially bone in ones encourage all the ripping and tearing that is good for both the teeth and mental stimulation. 

As far as bad breath, it could be from not enough bone to clean the teeth, or there may be some meat stuck somewhere between the teeth. So maybe give her mouth a good check over to see. But otherwise, I would give more bone, and go back to giving large whole chunks of meat.

Now for the balanced part. What all are you currently feeding? What is a typical week's menu look like?

m_ly

m_ly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
Typical week most of the time looks like this
Monday: ground beef, chicken leg qrtrs.
Tuesday: same
Wednesday: organ day! (Liver, kidney, etc. most of the time it's liver) two leg qrtrs, turkey (ground)
Thursday: ground beef, leg qrtr
Friday: turkey, pork uterus, pork heart, leg qrtr
Sat: ground beef, leg quarter
Sunday: this day just varies so much. It can be deer, beef or chicken.

Most of the time I'm giving her one or two leg quarters per meal.
I feel like I might be doing this wrong and any suggestion or help is appreciated.

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

I think I would add more bone, and replace the ground with whole cuts. 

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationWashington State
Your rotation of meats looks good, I would go back to larger pieces too.

I recently posted a picture of Tank and Calvin's teeth. Calvin is a lazy eater, so his teeth aren't as white and clean as Tank's teeth. Turkey necks, if you can get them, are awesome teeth cleaners. Iorveth said necks in general are good teeth cleaners too.

Stick with it and MAN does time fly!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO