Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Guinness Beer As Hw Treatment/prevention

- - - - - guinness beer heartworm treatment/prevention

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

I don't know if this topic would fall into this category, so feel free to move it to its appropriate spot!

I remember on the DFC board, someone (can't remember for the life of me WHO) started a thread about Guinness beer and using it to treat and prevent heartworm/parasites, and I was curious if anyone else here has tried it. I was thinking of grabbing a bottle and dosing Gimli, I figure it can't hurt to try and he LOVES beer.

http://newdoginfo.bl...heart-worm.html

• OctavioMype likes this

SuperPug

SuperPug

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationOrlando, FL

There are quite a few people on a raw feeding Facebook group who use this method. I use Ivermectin. I purchase it online and it is estimated to last me over 3 years. I'm on my laptop, I *think* I have the link on my desktop. I don't remember if I saved it, I just bought it a few months ago.

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Is it expensive? I was just going to try one bottle (beer) since it'd last me several months.

I think it might ave been lilasmom that posted it on DFC.

swolek

swolek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • LocationMurfreesboro, TN

Hmm, interesting, I've never heard of this. I'd love to get more peoples' opinions/experiences.

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

I'm thinking of actually giving it a try, I figure it can't hurt and it seems to be a remedy that's been around a while.

SuperPug

SuperPug

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationOrlando, FL

I believe, based off the link posted, I would definately give it a try. Are you in a high risk area? If you are, you could get your pup tested twice? a year to make sure it is working.

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

I'm not sure if Toronto is considered a high risk area. But I plan to get blood panels at a PE in 2 months, and then I'll do one in maybe another 4 months or so

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Holy crap, it appears Ontario is pretty bad, unless this is just Heartguard fear-mongering people into using their poison.

http://www.heartgard.ca/survey

But then there is this from U of Guelph (veterinary school in Ontario)

http://www.ovc.uogue...rts/Ontario.pdf

So I think I'm going to go for it. He likes beer anyway, so he'll probably lap it up no problem. 

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,282 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

I don't know if this topic would fall into this category, so feel free to move it to its appropriate spot!

I remember on the DFC board, someone (can't remember for the life of me WHO) started a thread about Guinness beer and using it to treat and prevent heartworm/parasites, and I was curious if anyone else here has tried it. I was thinking of grabbing a bottle and dosing Gimli, I figure it can't hurt to try and he LOVES beer.

http://newdoginfo.bl...heart-worm.html

It was Tobi. He posted a really informative link to it.

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Thank you! I haven't been back there in a while. Did Tobi end up over here yet?

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,282 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

Thank you! I haven't been back there in a while. Did Tobi end up over here yet?

Not that I have seen, but I think he needs to come on. I haven't been back to DFC in a while either.

blacksheep

blacksheep

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

So if anyone is wondering.  It is apparently a VERY specific hops.   To use guiness its 1oz / 25lbs of dog.  Just be careful with it.  Let me know how it goes.  The dewormer that I'm hoping to start using is also has an ingredient "toxic" to dogs that kills heartworms! (because...you know...Ivermec and everything else the vet gives isn't.)

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON
Blacksheep, I'll be grabbing a bottle over the weekend and starting it. I'll let you know how he reacts to it!

blacksheep

blacksheep

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Blacksheep, I'll be grabbing a bottle over the weekend and starting it. I'll let you know how he reacts to it!

So how'd it go?  I'd really like to know because I'm hoping to buy a kayak and take a family vacation out on the river next year.  I'd like to skip the ProHeart!

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

The Beer Store seems to be the only one who carries it, and they were out for a while. I'm going to check again tomorrow, I want to try starting it on the 1st. And then do the second dose on the 15th. I'll keep you updated. Sorry, I've been crazy busy lately (switching careers is nuts!).

blacksheep

blacksheep

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

The Beer Store seems to be the only one who carries it, and they were out for a while. I'm going to check again tomorrow, I want to try starting it on the 1st. And then do the second dose on the 15th. I'll keep you updated. Sorry, I've been crazy busy lately (switching careers is nuts!).

Its all good.  I just dropped RVT to be a computer engineer LOL.  

I'm switching vets.  I'm very lucky to have a holistic practice in my area (well not really but she has a mobile office as well.)  I will be asking her for some advice as well.

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

I'm leaving hairstyling and going to school for Vet Tech. :P

We have a mobile holistic vet in Toronto, and she's mobile, too. I'm still looking around, I fear she might be a bit pricey.

Amanda

Amanda

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationBarry, IL

So how did it turn out?

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationWashington State
Yeah, do tell!! Tank would be an alky too, if we let him! lol

swolek

swolek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • LocationMurfreesboro, TN

I'm not the OP but I ended up switching to that method last fall. So far, so good. Except my pups don't like the beer so I have to mix an egg with it :P.

• Jordann likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO