Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

When Do Yo Change The Percentage Of 10% For Puppy?

puppy

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

sjb1464

sjb1464

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX
I have a 10 week old SA Mastiff who now weighs 26lbs. When should I switch from 10% to the 2-3%?
  • Howardsi likes this

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

I have never used percentages. It just makes it all to complicated, IMO. They are more or less guidelines, really. Prey model is designed to be fed similar to how they would eat in the wild, and in the wild there is no worry of percentages.  Is your Mastiff's weight looking ok? Poops? If those are good, I would stay where you are at the moment. Let the puppy be the one to let you know when it's time to change things up, and add some more. 

• Howardsi likes this

sjb1464

sjb1464

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX
Thank you! I'm new to raw so it's hard for me to tell when he's hungry. He's about 26 lbs and poops are good.
  • naturalfeddogs and Howardsi like this

Spy Car

Spy Car

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

I'd echo Naturalfeddogs and advise feeding by condition w/o too much worry about percentages. You know that a growing pup will need relatively more food by size than a mature dog.

It also seems the best evidence is not to push feeding to the point one gets maximum growth rates (especially in larger dogs). Best evidence suggest dogs get to their natural size one way or another, but that joints are better when the growth rate is slower. I'd err on the side of underfeeding (nutritionally excellent food).

Bill

• sjb1464 and Howardsi like this

cpboyers

cpboyers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

I'm right there with the rest. I have a 6mo old gsd and we started raw at 4mo. Never measured anything I still feed 5%-10% its different everyday and he looks lean but not thin and he's all muscle... its pretty cool.

• naturalfeddogs, Jordann, sjb1464 and 1 other like this

tdodar01

tdodar01

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
IMO, go ahead and go to 2% of the ideal adult body weight and add more if needed.
  • sjb1464 likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: puppy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO