Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

De-Worming

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

peppersmom1889

peppersmom1889

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationAnchorage AK

I have been reading a lot lately about de-worming being ineffective and unnecessary because of worms becoming resistant to the de-worming drugs and drugs only work on certain worms. I have also read that these drugs can be damaging to dog's immune system and cause other problems. I was interested to hear everyone's thoughts on this and what you all do to prevent worms. Right now I have just been giving Pepper diatamacous earth daily and she has not been de-wormed. 

• KennethSn likes this

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,284 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

A lot of times, a raw fed dog has a high enough immune system that they don't often get parasites. Have a fecal done first to see if you need to de worm, then you if you want you can use wrm clear, made by Homeopet. 

• KennethSn likes this

peppersmom1889

peppersmom1889

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationAnchorage AK

Thanks for the recommendation, yes I have been planning to get a fecal exam done. Hopefully no worms!

• naturalfeddogs and KennethSn like this

cpboyers

cpboyers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
I beeline it was found on this forum but don't quote me... Regardless, there is one of the coolest articles about Guinness beer and deworming. It's out there on the that ole new fangled whatchamacallit inter web.
  • KennethSn likes this

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,284 posts

I've just started the Guiness beer thing. I'm doing it for heartworm prevention, but I'm not sure about it as a dewormer otherwise. I will look into that part of it.

• KennethSn likes this

Iorveth

Iorveth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Are the dog parasites becoming resistant too? It's been a nightmare relearning worming protocols for horses, especially since no one can agree on anything. I don't want to have to do the same thing with dogs too! 

• KennethSn likes this

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,284 posts

They do seem to be getting resistant to de worming ingredients like horses. Horses aren't recommended to be wormed near as much as they used to, so if they are, I would suspect dogs as well. Pesticide junk wasn't working AT ALL for fleas, so I have switched to garlic tablets from springtime. So far so good! 

And guinness beer for heartworm prevention too. I'm pretty sure those chemicals don't work at this point either. I think they have all been used so much, so commonly for so long parasites just aren't affected by them anymore. 

• KennethSn likes this

Iorveth

Iorveth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Great... 

I do worry about how we are going to keep our animals parasite free with the resistance happening. I have never felt a need to de-worm my dogs since they have been clean for as long as I have had them, but we do have fecals done and our vet isn't worried about parasites either. The pony, on the other hand... Since their parasites come from their own food when turned out, it's harder to just let them go without wormer. 

• KennethSn likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO