Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Liver Shunt

- - - - - liver shunt elevated liver enzymes

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Morkeymom2015

Morkeymom2015

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationGilbert, AZ

Hello All,

I am new to this site and like most others, I am totally confused about what to feed my 4lb Teacup Morkey. I recently took him to the Vet to get his presurgery bloodwork for his upcoming neuter. They told me he has extremely high Liver function results. Normal is 125 and his was 419. I immediately started researching "Liver Shunts" as this is what the vet told me he most likey has. I have seen that starting him on a low protein diet is the least dramatic solution. The most dramatic solution being surgery which has a high mortality rate.

My question is this, for a 6 month old Morkey (half Maltese and half Yorkey) weighing 4lbs, is it ok to feed him raw chicken legs with the skin? After reading multiple posts, I see that I should stick with one protein at a time for several weeks. I plan to do this but also want to know if I should be adding any supplements i.e. milk thistle, dandelion to his diet? Has anyone else had this issue with their small breed dog (Liver Shunt)? I really need advice and guidance on this issue as Dexter is my furbaby and I want the absolute best quality of life for him!

Thanks for reading and I enthusiasitically look forward to any feedback and comments!

jagger

jagger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts

I assume your pup is on a commercial food at the moment? specifically what commercial foods have you been feeding?

Chicken is fine, but I would take the skin off for now. Try him on some chicken muscle meat, see if he likes then try to introduce some bone from the back.

Morkeymom2015

Morkeymom2015

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationGilbert, AZ

I have been feeding him Iams pet food. I had no idea how bad commercial dog food was for him. I'm so glad I happened upon Raw feeding on the internet.

I started him yesterday on organic chicken legs without the skin. I gave him half a chicken leg. I'm hoping that was enough since he is so small. I'm assuming I should feed him 1/2 a chicken leg 3 times a day since he is still a puppy? He did awesome and he loves it!

jagger

jagger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts

4 pounds, not much to him. Ours is 10 pounds, and we find it difficult to get the good blend of bone, organs and meat. Ours eats well, and it still costs $60+ a month compared to a $30 bag of premium dog food. Next 2 weeks diet is beef back ribs and pork ribs. We will buy chicken wings and chicken feet for him to chew on as snacks if the rib bones aren't being eaten.

If it is the food that's causing liver issues, welcome to a good first step. How is your dog for chewing? He's going to need some bone in his diet and chicken is probably the easiest for him. Chicken wings, wing tips are probably a good start too.

Have you read the getting started page? It's a good guideline.

http://preymodelraw....el-raw-diet-r19

I'm no expert at this, others will chime in as well. Is your vet raw friendly? Would definitely recommend a periodic blood test after switching to raw to see any changes.

Spy Car

Spy Car

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Off topic to your original question, but if you want the best for your dog please reconsider neutering at 6 months. At least review the Golden Retriever, Vizsla, and Rottweiler studies first. This is really too young, and the heath ramifications are pretty dire.

Best wishes,

Bill

Morkeymom2015

Morkeymom2015

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationGilbert, AZ
Honestly, I had not researched anything about neutering. I assumed and was told that neutering at a young age was the right thing to do. But I will most certainly research the topic now. Thank you for the information!

Spy Car

Spy Car

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Honestly, I had not researched anything about neutering. I assumed and was told that neutering at a young age was the right thing to do. But I will most certainly research the topic now. Thank you for the information!

Unfortunately we live in an age where Bob Barker (et al) have convinced people that removing dog's hormone producing organs has no negative repercussions, and is actually a good thing. But the scientific literature shows otherwise.

There are increased rates of hip dysplasia, ligament tears, obesity, and many cancers. For males dogs there are no medical advantages, and serious risks. For females spay does reduce the risk of mammary cancers (which a very legitimate concern), but even with females 6 months is too young.

I'm confident when you read the studies you'll come away with a new perspective.

Best wishes,

Bill

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,282 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

Hello All,

I am new to this site and like most others, I am totally confused about what to feed my 4lb Teacup Morkey. I recently took him to the Vet to get his presurgery bloodwork for his upcoming neuter. They told me he has extremely high Liver function results. Normal is 125 and his was 419. I immediately started researching "Liver Shunts" as this is what the vet told me he most likey has. I have seen that starting him on a low protein diet is the least dramatic solution. The most dramatic solution being surgery which has a high mortality rate.

My question is this, for a 6 month old Morkey (half Maltese and half Yorkey) weighing 4lbs, is it ok to feed him raw chicken legs with the skin? After reading multiple posts, I see that I should stick with one protein at a time for several weeks. I plan to do this but also want to know if I should be adding any supplements i.e. milk thistle, dandelion to his diet? Has anyone else had this issue with their small breed dog (Liver Shunt)? I really need advice and guidance on this issue as Dexter is my furbaby and I want the absolute best quality of life for him!

Thanks for reading and I enthusiasitically look forward to any feedback and comments!

Yes, you can feed him raw chicken legs with skin, but if it seems too rich you can always remove the skin. Being that he is only four pounds, you may want to try chicken necks. It may be a little easier for him to chew. 

Normally, no supplements are needed when a raw diet is fed correctly, but I'm not sure if there are any that you mentioned that may help with liver issues. It could be something to investigate some more.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO