Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

3 dogs, 1 wolf eating raw Pork Riblets

- - - - - raw feeding raw feeding video prey model raw pmr pmr video prey model raw video

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

jdatwood

jdatwood

Administrator

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationRathdrum, ID

• Iorveth, GimMom, kelsey.criswell and 4 others like this

lilasmom

lilasmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationCentral Texas

The first dog ate over a week's worth of food at my house! How many pounds does he/she eat in a day? 

• GimMom likes this

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
That's Bailey! At the time she was probably eating close to 3 pounds a day. She's slowed down now that she's older and has about 1.5-2 pounds a day

Chrism987

Chrism987

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
What is it like raising a wolf? I always think when I get a second dog it will be a wolf but I keep reading they don't do well domesticated. I have no frame of reference other than blogs. What type is he?

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
They're not great pet dogs. You need a lot of space, patience and ability to adapt to their needs in life.

We are incredibly lucky with Shiloh because she doesn't have serious mental problems like so many do.

Where are you looking at getting a hybrid?

Chrism987

Chrism987

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I haven't started to look for buying one yet. I really want a second dog but I have to convince to wife first lol, do far I'm getting a big fat hell no, especially not a wolf. We went through this debate with our pitbull now she loves pit bulls.
I was just wondering is it true what people write. I've read some things like, they are great dogs, however they tend to challenge more than other dogs, they are only loyal to one or two people, not great around guests, will kill small animals like cats, birds, prob a small dog, blah. Only for the experienced dog owners. But again it would be some point in the future, if I get another hell no, I might try for a large husky.

lauren43

lauren43

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

I am not nearly as familiar with wolves as Natalie would be but my understanding is that the mix is important.  The percentage of dog vs wolf makes a difference.

That being said, wolves do not make good pets.  I would only get one (even a mix) if I had acres of land for the animal to roam safely. Also instead of trying to find a breeder, I would look for rescues that specialize in them and have ones that are available to live in a home, preferably where the dog/wolves are in foster homes so you will know more about the actual personality of the dog.

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
If you want the hybrid to bond to you then you'd really have to get a puppy- and you'd have to really do your due diligence to train and socialize and train and socialize and train and socialize. I can't emphasize that enough lol.

lauren43

lauren43

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
I have a question for you Natalie. Do you think they should be breeding wolfdogs? I personally don't only because they are not for everyone and you would have to be extremely selective with homes...

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
That's a tough question. Honestly I don't think any wild animal should be purposely bred for a captive lifestyle.

That said, hybrids are amazing animals and in the right home and lifestyle, they can make amazing companions.

What it really comes down to is irresponsible people shouldn't breed any kind of animal- especially wild or part wild animals. As I think hybrids can be produced responsibly but most breeders aren't, which is why rescue groups are always full.
  • jdatwood and naturalfeddogs like this

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

The first dog ate over a week's worth of food at my house! How many pounds does he/she eat in a day? 

They all put away what I'd feed Gim in a month in one meal. :P

Jon/Natalie, would pork riblets be too big for Gim, bone-wise? Or would chops be better suited to him?

P.S GORGEOUS dogs. They all make mine look the size of a mouse :P

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

They all put away what I'd feed Gim in a month in one meal. :P

Jon/Natalie, would pork riblets be too big for Gim, bone-wise? Or would chops be better suited to him?

P.S GORGEOUS dogs. They all make mine look the size of a mouse :P

I don't think so, I've seen dachshunds eat pork riblets without issue before. 

Chops are a tough RMB to deal with. If Gim chews really well, then give it a shot but make sure to keep an eye on him while eating chops because of the bone issue. 

Thanks! I think our dogs are pretty damn amazing, if I do say so myself!

• naturalfeddogs and GimMom like this

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

So then pork-wise, it'd be best to stick with riblets? He's pretty good at chomping and has destroyed even the supposed "sturdiest" chew toys, but pork chop bones I'm not sure of. I just want to make sure he got enough red meat and wasn't sure if the riblet had enough.

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
Pork ribs are great. But also boneless pork cuts are good too, when he gets to that point of course!

Ravena

Ravena

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

A happier bunch of dogs would be hard to find...love their expressions as they wait for the next piece!

I can't wait to expand my girl out beyond the poultry, she wriggles in excitement like a 9week old every mealtime, and can't believe the time it takes to remove the meat from the fridge. 

My FI is obsessed with huskies/wolves - seeing as how he has never trained a dog before, and struggles with helping to train our shepherd pup who is very quick to learn, bad idea!  He was very pleased with himself when he taught her to shake (this was his priority - I was teaching stay at the time...)

I told him huskies/wolf hybrids weren't a dog to get because they're cute/he wants to live like the kids in Game of Thrones :P Not to mention California weather on a thick coat!

Now he knows I come on this forum he always asks if there's photos/videos of Shiloh :)

• Prey Model Raw and GimMom like this

Britt0325

Britt0325

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationJersey
I love wolves and hybrids but I think the closest thing to a wolf I would get is the Czechoslovakian Wolfdog. I've read they're a lot more predictable and easier to handle then a hybrid and they seriously look like wolves. They're one of my dream breeds I would love to own one day :)
  • Prey Model Raw and GimMom like this

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
I will make sure to post pictures of Shiloh more often!!!
  • Iorveth, GimMom and Ravena like this

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

I haven't started to look for buying one yet. I really want a second dog but I have to convince to wife first lol, do far I'm getting a big fat hell no, especially not a wolf. We went through this debate with our pitbull now she loves pit bulls.
I was just wondering is it true what people write. I've read some things like, they are great dogs, however they tend to challenge more than other dogs, they are only loyal to one or two people, not great around guests, will kill small animals like cats, birds, prob a small dog, blah. Only for the experienced dog owners. But again it would be some point in the future, if I get another hell no, I might try for a large husky.

i am STILL fighting with the hubby about getting a Pittie. He's met a couple now and seems okay with them, but I think he fears the idea of coming home to dead cats or a mangled Gim because of their breed's reputation. He said no large dogs, which to me is b.s, you can get pocket Pits (which a friend breeds and has offered me a pup, but she lives in Minnesota and I can't take another dog right now). How'd you convince her to let you get one? I might need some pointers on the art of persuasion. Lol!

blacksheep

blacksheep

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

i am STILL fighting with the hubby about getting a Pittie. He's met a couple now and seems okay with them, but I think he fears the idea of coming home to dead cats or a mangled Gim because of their breed's reputation. He said no large dogs, which to me is b.s, you can get pocket Pits (which a friend breeds and has offered me a pup, but she lives in Minnesota and I can't take another dog right now). How'd you convince her to let you get one? I might need some pointers on the art of persuasion. Lol!

My grandmother was racist against pits so I made her go to SPCA with me.  She picked out an "am staff mix."  My mom and I were just cracking up laughing.  We didn't tell her that am staffs typically fall under the "pit bull" type till she got home.  So uhh you can always try to get an am staff or a staffy bull.  Some of them do kill cats.  In fact, thats why they cherish their dog so much.  The garden has been cat, squirrel, and coon free since they got her.  

lauren43

lauren43

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

I would just say that yes they can have issues with other dogs and yes they can have issues with cats, but you could always adopt an older pit that is in a foster home with cats and other dogs.  That way you'd know the dog is good with both types of animals.  You can also crate the dog when you are not home (or put them in a room without other animals).

My boy is a terrible greeter, he greets dogs very nastily. Hair up, tail up, stiff body posture, sometimes he even growls and shoves the other dog to the floor, but within a mere 5 minutes he is ready to play!  And he goes to daycare without a hitch!  

At the end of the day dogs are individuals.  Knowing what "can" happen is important but every dog is different.

• Prey Model Raw and Britt0325 like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: raw feeding, raw feeding video, prey model raw, pmr, pmr video, prey model raw video

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO