Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

3 dogs, 1 wolf eating raw Pork Riblets

- - - - - raw feeding raw feeding video prey model raw pmr pmr video prey model raw video

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

I thought if I maybe got a puppy, he would grow up with Gim and they'd have a great bond. I like the idea of an older Am Staff, probably a female. Shane's been getting more and more exposure to them lately, since despite the ban here, people are still bringing them into Ontario. Our neighborhood has quite a few Pits/pit-types, a few elderbulls, a guy in my building has two beautiful pit bulls (and again, despite the ban, our building seems to allow them). The more he meets, the more adorable puppy pictures, etc, I think I could wear him down. ;) :P

Britt0325

Britt0325

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationJersey

GimMom, 

It's quite possible that if you got a Pit puppy that it could "turn on" as it gets older and become dog selective or DA. It's just something that happens with the breed and is really common. Doesn't make them bad dogs but that's what they were bred for and it's pretty much ingrained in them at this point. You could get an older mutt, I would say at least fully mature and over the age of 2, that is good with other dogs and cats according to the shelter. Even then I would still probably keep the dogs separated when they couldn't be supervised or would be alone because you never know if a fight would break out. Guaranteed if a fight starts the pit would be the one finishing it regardless of who the real aggressor is. 

I would definitely avoid getting a Real APBT. You could go for an Amstaff or Staffie since they're basically watered down show versions of what the pit bull used to be. I wouldn't get a pocket pit bull or a bully ever because I personally don't like the way they look but if you like them than that's another option. Personally, I like the real APBT so I probably wouldn't ever get one and expect it not to be DA or have a high prey drive. I'm sure that's still a problem with Amstaffs and Staffies but maybe less so? I'm not sure. 

• GimMom likes this

lauren43

lauren43

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

If they are banned in your area I would not get one.  Personally that's too big of a risk for me.  Laws change all the time, and if they decided to go door to door again then your precious dog could be killed just for existing.

Iorveth

Iorveth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Natalie, does Bailey REALLY eat only 1.5-2 lbs??? Iorveth eats more than she does! He's 57 lbs and eats 2.5 lbs per day. Buck is 72 lbs and eats 3 lbs per day. Those two, though, I imagine, are much higher energy than a Dane. They CAN be laid back but they have boundless energy and are only 10 months and 2.5 years.

What about Akasha, Zuri, and Pandora? How much do they eat per day?

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

GimMom, 

Thanks for the advice, that's really good to know.

It's quite possible that if you got a Pit puppy that it could "turn on" as it gets older and become dog selective or DA. It's just something that happens with the breed and is really common. Doesn't make them bad dogs but that's what they were bred for and it's pretty much ingrained in them at this point. You could get an older mutt, I would say at least fully mature and over the age of 2, that is good with other dogs and cats according to the shelter. Even then I would still probably keep the dogs separated when they couldn't be supervised or would be alone because you never know if a fight would break out. Guaranteed if a fight starts the pit would be the one finishing it regardless of who the real aggressor is. 

I would definitely avoid getting a Real APBT. You could go for an Amstaff or Staffie since they're basically watered down show versions of what the pit bull used to be. I wouldn't get a pocket pit bull or a bully ever because I personally don't like the way they look but if you like them than that's another option. Personally, I like the real APBT so I probably wouldn't ever get one and expect it not to be DA or have a high prey drive. I'm sure that's still a problem with Amstaffs and Staffies but maybe less so? I'm not sure. 

I thought about getting an American Boston Bull Terrier, they'd satisfy Shane's Boston Terrier and my Pit Bull. http://www.breederin...=20120515143211

I also let him know about getting an older Pit or going the mix route, he seemed okay with the idea of a rescue senior Pit, which is also fine by me. So that's something to consider.

And I wouldn't do it until it was legal. I don't have the best of luck sometimes, I don't want any trouble.

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
Bailey's metabolism has slowed greatly as she's gotten older so she needs way less than she used to. She used to eat like 4 pounds per day and now she's on no more than 2 pounds.

Same with the other dogs- they all eat way less than they used to. They all get right around 2 pounds per day. Except Shiloh- she gets a pound per day, and every once in a while she will get more. She's our chunky monkey wolf!

Panda is the only one who packs food away but doesn't gain weight. She gets like 5 pounds per day and doesn't have an ounce of extra fat on her lean body. I suspect that she will slow down as she gets older too.
  • Iorveth likes this

Iorveth

Iorveth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Bailey's metabolism has slowed greatly as she's gotten older so she needs way less than she used to. She used to eat like 4 pounds per day and now she's on no more than 2 pounds.

Same with the other dogs- they all eat way less than they used to. They all get right around 2 pounds per day. Except Shiloh- she gets a pound per day, and every once in a while she will get more. She's our chunky monkey wolf!

Panda is the only one who packs food away but doesn't gain weight. She gets like 5 pounds per day and doesn't have an ounce of extra fat on her lean body. I suspect that she will slow down as she gets older too.

Haha. Poor Shiloh. 

So they really aren't too bad to feed then. I expected more food. Buck has a crazy metabolism that I would die for. He was on  3 lbs per day for a long time then he hit to years old and started getting chubby so we cut back a few ounces per day. When we move he lost some weight because he is our worry wart. He's back up to 3 lbs and I've found that feeding him twice a day helps him keep weight on better so he may get moved back down to where he was before we moved. It's something like 2.75 lbs per day. Nick feeds him more often than I do. 

I still weigh out the younger two's food because both of them are able to gain or lose weight practically overnight. Dude can get in the vicinity of 2 lbs and doesn't gain or lose anything. 

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

I'd say we feed about 15 pounds per day on average. I've never weighed anything out LOL

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: raw feeding, raw feeding video, prey model raw, pmr, pmr video, prey model raw video

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO