Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Digestive Problems In Older Age

- - - - - senior yorkie raw diet kibble diarrhea vomit

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

schnouzi

schnouzi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Hi guys!!!! I'm thrilled to find this place, as all the old forums I used to frequent about 8 years ago that taught me all about raw feeding seem obsolete nowadays!

First of all, the dog. She is a (brilliant, hilarious, ever youthful) yorkshire terrier, and currently 10 years old. She has been fed raw since age 1 (with occasional kibble meals if we ran out). Never had tummy problems and always very tough, except when fed raw pork, where she diarrhea'd all over our hosts' carpet.

Anyway, I'm attaching a photo of DUSYA so you'll swoon with care for the lil bugger.

The diet consisted mainly of whole quail (good size, healthy meat), occasional other meats, occasional beef/chicken offal, egg yolk, some oils (fish), some salt (some of my mothers convictions, heh, never seemed to do harm). Until age 9 or so she was totally fine, and totally fine with switching to kibble if she had to be dogsitted. But now, my mom has changed her over to kibble more or less permanently, 'cause Dusya started getting more and more tummy issues after eating her raw meals. Diarrhea, loss of appetite (namely for raw meat), lots of vomiting (especially red meat), the like. It definitely seemed to be food related, because she quickly got better after these bouts. It happened especially after new types of meat. One time she got stomach upset from a quail head (which she was no longer used to eating). 

So now she seems to prefer kibble, though it gives her huge poos compared to heavenly raw diet ones. We're thinking it has to something to do with her age...

What's the deal? Is it worth continuing the raw diet, and if so, how? She gets optimal brand kibble (Wellness, Organix) so I'm not that concerned, but we still want to choose the best option possible.

Thanks for reading, hope you'll have some answers!

Cheers!

Attached Files

• Furypn and Bellipn like this

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,283 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

Welcome! So what does an average weekly meal look like right now? 

How much in the way of bone in meat are you feeding?

I would for sure continue on with raw, and not add kibble to the mix. That is just asking for more digestive upset. I have a hound who is really old, she's still on raw. Her only issue with it is weak jaw strength. Look first at what all you are feeding, and then lets go from there.

schnouzi

schnouzi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Thanks for your answer. She's been moved over to kibble now. Before that, it was whole quails, so a prey model amount of bone. Any variation from quail meat caused upset, but kibble didn't... strangely!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: senior, yorkie, raw diet, kibble, diarrhea, vomit

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO