Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Tripe?

tripe raw

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

MaryAnn

MaryAnn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationNJ USA

Does anyone feed tripe? The green kind? 

• Stevemper, Furypn and Bellipn like this

Spy Car

Spy Car

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Yes, I feed it pretty regularly. 

Bill

• MaryAnn and Bellipn like this

MaryAnn

MaryAnn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationNJ USA

Thanks Bill,  you can likely help me think about this, Is tripe considered an organ meat?  

• Bellipn likes this

Spy Car

Spy Car

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Thanks Bill,  you can likely help me think about this, Is tripe considered an organ meat?  

Hey Mary Ann, tripe isn't organ meat, it is fed as "meat." It has a good phosphorus/calcium balance. Big claims are made for the probiotic and enzymatic benefits of green tripe. It does not smell all that great (understatement) but my dog almost invariably eats the green tripe first, which is saying something when he has many delicious choices in his bowl.

We are fortune to have a good source for ground green tripe, and can sometimes get sheep,and bison, in addition to beef. I'm a little skeptical that it is the "miracle food" that's sometimes claimed, but we have it in our regular rotation.

Bill

• Bellipn likes this

MaryAnn

MaryAnn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationNJ USA

I have heard it smells really bad, at least that is what the butcher told us! I likely still have a couple of weeks to go before I add tripe to her diet, I do need to find some organ meat, mostly she's been eating meat and bones with just  some chicken liver.  Thanks for your help Bill. 

Spy Car

Spy Car

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

I have heard it smells really bad, at least that is what the butcher told us! I likely still have a couple of weeks to go before I add tripe to her diet, I do need to find some organ meat, mostly she's been eating meat and bones with just  some chicken liver.  Thanks for your help Bill. 

The green tripe smells rather like cow dung. Not the worst thing in the world (to my nose), but thawing it in fridge with people food will not win popularity contests.

Add the organs in small quantities. I find my preference is for starting organs earlier than the standard advice on this forum, both to provide the vitamins/nutrition and to avoid food aversions that seem linked to "delay," but I am mindful that it is better to slow build bowel tolerance by starting with very small piece and building up, rather than feeding big pieces and risking loose stools (or worse).

I've seen no issues around feeding green tripe. Because it is pretty balanced between phosphorus and calcium it would not balance a portion of bone heavy chicken like a "meat" like beef heart would. So while counted as "meat" in the overall percentages, I think of green tripe as a "neutral" when balancing meals or the diet over time.

Bill

Erica

Erica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

My mom seems to think green tripe has cholesterol....any thoughts/inputs on this?

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

Why does she think it has cholesterol? It's just the partially digested plant food eaten by ruminants. 

• Erica likes this

Spy Car

Spy Car

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Why does she think it has cholesterol? It's just the partially digested plant food eaten by ruminants.

No, it isn't. Tripe is the stomach walls of ruminants. Green tripe has some partially digested plant materials (grass) included since it is not well-scrubbed and bleached the way tripe headed for supermarkets (for human consumption is), but the stomach contents are secondary to the physical stomach tissues as the prime ingredient.

Some places sell the stomach contents (which are generally shaken out of green tripe prior to packing or grinding) as "stomach grass." But stomach grass and tripe are not the same thing. Tripe is stomach, not stomach contents. green tripe is stomach with a little bit of stomach grass incidentally included (due to lack of processing).

Bill

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

No, it isn't. Tripe is the stomach walls of ruminants. Green tripe has some partially digested plant materials (grass) included since it is not well-scrubbed and bleached the way tripe headed for supermarkets (for human consumption is), but the stomach contents are secondary to the physical stomach tissues as the prime ingredient.

Some places sell the stomach contents (which are generally shaken out of green tripe prior to packing or grinding) as "stomach grass." But stomach grass and tripe are not the same thing. Tripe is stomach, not stomach contents. green tripe is stomach with a little bit of stomach grass incidentally included (due to lack of processing).

Bill

It is partially digested, and does come from ruminants. That's what I was getting at. What about the cholesterol? That was the point of the post, actually.

Spy Car

Spy Car

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

It is partially digested, and does come from ruminants. That's what I was getting at. What about the cholesterol? That was the point of the post, actually.

But the "tripe" is not partially digested. The tripe is the fully intact stomach tissue. Green tripe includes small amounts of stomach contents because it is not well cleaned, scrubbed, boiled and bleached like "human grade" tripe. 

There is cholesterol in tripe meat. Canines need saturated fats and cholesterol in their diets for good health. People are taking outmoded ideas about human nutrition (including the notion that all dietary cholesterol is bad, when it is not) and projecting it onto dogs. Dogs efficiently burn fats as their best energy source. Dietary cholesterol and saturated fats are essential to good canine health.

Bill

• Erica likes this

cpboyers

cpboyers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
Tripe- great for dogs. They love it.
Feed it... However you want. I started once and week and sometimes just a touch of it every day with other meats. Sometimes it's what's for breakfast or dinner. Sometimes it's every other day or every few days or whenever. Don't worry about it.

Green tripe- nasty nasty stinky stinky... Dogs freak for it.

Human grade tripe- pointless for dogs.
  • posburyfan likes this

posburyfan

posburyfan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Mine loves tripe. She has it with every meal. I have heard it is also very gentle to upset stomachs? I don't know but when she had an upset stomach she wouldn't touch anything but tripe and it very quickly cleared

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tripe, raw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO