Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Starting New Puppy On Raw

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

Erica

Erica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • LocationNorthern California
Hopefully I'm just being a worried mama again...

She is acting odd today. She hadn't woke me up all night to go out to pee; Max woke me up this time around 730am. Her first poop of the morning was squirty, all poops afterward were softer and had some liquid drops but no runny diarrhea. She hasn't cried at all today to go out. She has slept all morning again, not even getting up when Max and I returned from our run. She ate just fine but gave up on the chicken foot.

I did give her a bit more boneless chicken with each meal yesterday, so that's probably the cause of her poops today, is it usual for puppies to be this mopey/depressed/lethargic-like if they're having upset tummies? I was maybe thinking of fasting her until dinner time and giving her a bone-heavy, no fat/skin meal tonight

lovemyboys88

lovemyboys88

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
I know whenever i was transitioning my boys i added boneless meat before they were ready amd had the lovely cannon butt. I backed off of the boneless and added more bone and they were good. They only really acted worn down in the very beginning and my pup got through it quicker than my older male. They just kinda wanted to lay there and not do a whole lot. Once they got all detoxed they were good though. I am a worry wart too. I wonder if maybe she is just detoxing and just feels blah.

Erica

Erica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
My husband and I were trying to remember if Max (our almost 2 year old boxer, on raw for over a year, struggled with chicken for 3-4weeks) was all mopey and depressed like when he was going through the transition...which he probably was but he was a lot older, around months. It just makes me so nervous because she just turned 9 weeks testerday and got her first vaccines just 1 week ago. :(

Erica

Erica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
Around 6 months*
Lol

lovemyboys88

lovemyboys88

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
See both my boys were much older. About 9 months and 7 yrs so i havent transitioned a babe that small so i am probably not much help 😕 I do hope she gets to feeling better quick though and i hope this is just her adjusting to the switch.

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

The vaccines may be what has done it. They can make them feel "ick" for sometimes a couple of weeks. For about the first two weeks after being vaccinated, they are actually shedding the disease(s) they were vaccinated for, and their immunity tends to drop a lot as well for those first two weeks. That would be my guess as to why. Not all respond to vaccines like that, but it does happen. I would give her a little more time and see if she feels better in a couple more days.

Iorveth

Iorveth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts

I would definitely keep an eye on her and, while it takes a lot for me to rush any of my animals to the vet since I can treat a lot at home, a lethargic puppy that doesn't bounce back would have me very concerned. Unless she gets worse or doesn't improve, I would be thinking along the lines of what NFD mentioned with the vaccines. 

Did she have a long or exciting day yesterday? I know that my puppies were always tired for a day or two if they had an exceptionally exciting day or they played exceptionally hard. Is it possible that she's just plain worn out? Seems impossible, I know, but playing can be hard work!

I know all about being a worried puppy Mama. Dude was my last puppy before we brought Buck home which means that it had been over 7 years since I had last had a puppy. I was 13 when Dude was a puppy and he was outside. I felt like I was brand new to puppies. I panicked over Buck's floating rib! It looked so funky and I had never seen that before. When I learned what it was, I felt like such an idiot. His and Iorveth's both hardened in the shape of the rest of their ribs, but when I went and felt Dude's, one side was flexed the other way. SO weird. 

Then, when Iorveth was a baby, DH was running around our neighborhood's tennis court with Buck and Iorveth got underfoot. DH stepped on him. I have never heard a dog scream like he did. He screamed and screamed and everyone was staring at us like we were beating this 12 week old puppy. I, of course, got up and ran over to him, but he met me partway limping on three legs and kept looking at DH like DH was going to come back for the rest of his legs. I was so afraid that my husband had seriously hurt my baby. I could tell it wasn't broken, but I was thinking about permanent shoulder injuries and just horrifying, crippling things that may have happened to my baby who was just starting life. Turns out, DH just skinned Iorveth's leg. It was literally just a flesh wound and a pretty mild one at that. Oh, but that princess carried on like we'd sawed off a leg. He would cry and cry as loud as he could every time he tried to put weight on it and he carried on like that for days until it scabbed over. It was ridiculous.

We've learned that he is tough as nails and can get some pretty nasty wounds from being out in the "wild outdoors" at our house and not utter a whimper, but if it is human inflicted like being tripped over or stepped on, he turns into a drama queen and lets everyone within a 5 mile radius know that he might be feeling some pain. 

Erica

Erica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Forgot to post back; whatever got into her, lasted only until dinnertime that day. She was hopping around like a bunny on speed and terrorizing Max after gobbling everything up. My best bet is that she was sad she was having an upset stomach from me trying to move on too fast...Poops returned to normal the following morning. Gonna slow down on adding in boneless.

I'm not worried about the worst happening now; I'm more worried that I know now I have a bigger drama mama on my hands than Max... :lol:

• naturalfeddogs likes this

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts

I'm so glad she is doing better! 

Erica

Erica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
Turkey went/is going well! :)

I'm starting pork tomorrow with her. She's able to get through half of a turkey neck without my help (even the thicker side), it does take her a bit but she doesn't give up; however I highly doubt she would be able to get through pork ribs. I don't think her stomach can handle a completely boneless meal, let alone a boneless red meat meal.

I found boneless pork shoulder for 1.48/lb at Sam's, unenhanced..how should I incorporate without fear of Canonbutt?
  • naturalfeddogs likes this

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts

So glad turkey went well! That's awesome! 

How big is she? Try some pork ribs, maybe riblets at first and see how she does. If not, you can feed a small amount of the shoulder along with a good size turkey neck for some bone. As she seems to handle that, add more of the boneless meat to it, and smaller amounts of bone in. 

Iorveth

Iorveth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts

With puppies, I use poultry bones like the turkey necks for bone. My guy couldn't get through pork ribs and still doesn't like them. I think it's frustrating for him because he doesn't have a lot of teeth back there and has to get them in JUST the right place to crunch. He CAN, but doesn't like it very much. 

Anyhow, I would give moe and more boneless pork with less and less chicken or turkey bone as she gets used to the new protein. I do like to ensure that my puppies can handle a full boneless meal before moving on.

Erica

Erica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

More troublesome crap...

She threw up twice today. Like her whole entire meal(s), breakfast and lunch. She threw up the breakfast about 5 hours after eating, the lunch no later than 2. I told my husband to not feed her tonight seeing as she can't keep anything down. She is acting all mopey and depressed like she did last time we were having issues. Why does she like to scare the crap outta me with this?! :(

We started feeding pork on Snday. Taking it slow; I was only giving a thumb sized piece the first day and increased it to every other meal the following days (she's eating 3 meals a day)

Other things worth mentioning...I have been letting the both of them outside by themselves unsupervised, so maybe she ate something bad out in the backyard? One of our trees has 'berries' and I've caught her several times munching on them. I gave her a split antler, and I've noticed she LOOOOOOVES it because I think the marrow-y part? is exposed, obviously. I don't know what else could impact her. We are waiting until tomorrow to see if she'll improve and if not take her into the vet (but I don't really want to...but  she is barely 11 weeks old so of course anything weird and it's freaking me out >.> I just don't want to hear the whole lecture 'its because you're feeding her raw omg!!!)

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts

Do you know what kind of berries they are she has been eating? I would think that is a possibility. Are they growing in the grass, or is a tree? I would see if all those could be cut down. IF it's those, they are causing this, but may also have affects over time from building up in the system. 

Erica

Erica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
They're falling from the tree..which I googled to be a Japanese bloodgood??

Should I feed her just a plain chicken meal(s) today??

I forgot to mention that I THINK she may have swallowed 2 turkey necks whole breakfast yesterday (they're still too big to give one whole so I break them in half..looks like that's going to have to stop)

Erica

Erica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
Ok upon further "research" I have no idea what that tree is, it may be closer to a Canadian chokecherry but I'll just have to watch the little devil today to make sure she's not putting the whole backyard in her mouth. She's acting quite like herself this morning, although when I woke up I found a lot of water/clear liquid in her x-pen, I have no idea if she threw up all of that or not since I didn't hear her (and I'm usually a light sleeper!)

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts

Yea, I would try to keep her from eating those berries and see if it stops. If so, you know what the problem is.

Erica

Erica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
I know she's still quite young to cut down on the meals per day (maybe?) but what are your suggestions for a good age to cut down to 2? I'm only asking because with 3 meals per day=3+ poops per day I have to keep a lookout for D:

plus, my husband will be going TDY soon and will most likely not be able to feed her at night.. but if so, the friend that would be able to come by won't feel comfy feeding her raw.

Iorveth

Iorveth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts

For the record, if one of my guys manages to pull their python impressions and swallow a turkey neck without much chewing (a rare occurrence since we do take care to prevent it) they will barf it up hours later. 

Why would the friend not be comfortable feeding raw? It does squick some people out, but others aren't comfortable giving a dog the bones. That seems to be the most common thing I hear. If that's the case, would your friend be comfortable with simply putting down an already measured out bowl of ground meat? You could feed her something bony earlier in the day or even grind wings or something to get that bone content in the ground meat. 

When I have to have someone feed my dogs (a rarity like in the event of driving several hours to look at a pony since we prefer to take them with us) I feed them a bone heavy meal so that the sitter can simply put down a bowl of ground meat for them. They have to do less than they would have to do for a kibble fed dog because I've already got it measured and in the bowl. Remove from fridge, tell dog to sit, put bowl down, release dog. Easy peasy.

Erica

Erica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

I know my friends this past weekend that watched her when we went up to Tahoe for a couple of days were a bit confused on the very clear instructions I gave them (everything is sorted out and labeled in 'breakfast' 'lunch' 'dinner' bags.. just unzip, plop in the bowl, and give it to her..she'll eat it frozen, so you really don't have to touch anything lol) We got a text later on that day 'do I just grill this stuff???' LOL

I think my husband is just assuming his friend won't want to deal with it but I know, on my end I will make it as simple for the person doing us a favor. I did tell my husband that it probably won't be a good idea to shorten her meals anyways because breaking up the amount she needs to 2 meals will probably do more harm than good because she'll be eating more in one sitting as opposed to 3 she's eating rightn ow.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO