Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Zoe The Dachshund!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

nmorini

nmorini

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Hello everyone,

i am new to this raw feeding and just about to start Zoe on her raw diet with chicken and veggie glop. I was wondering if there is anyone here from NYC, who is well aclamated to the RAW diet who wouldn't mind sitting with me and talking more about RAW dieting. I'm nervous in taking this few steps. A lot of resources I have been reading are more for bigger dogs and just would love to talk with someone who has a small breed. 

Thank you in advance!

Natasha & Zoe

Attached Files

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,293 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

Welcome to you and Zoe! There are lots of people here who are more than willing to help you with all you need. 

I'm not sure what you mean by "glop"? You want to feed whole bone in chicken cuts likes backs and quarters in the beginning. Veggies really aren't needed in a dogs diet. It's not a biological need for them, and what little they can get out of some of them is already in raw meat/bones/organs in a much better, more usuable form for the dog.

nmorini

nmorini

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Hi Jenny,

Thank you! I have read a few books about making glop which is essentially veggies, eggs, eggshells and if you want organ to add in with the raw. In some books they say it is "what's in the stomach of the prey". I usually give Zoe a carrot when she is good she thinks of them as a treat! I have now just started her on full RAW this morning after fasting her. She loved her chicken wings! Still trying to find some chicken backs around the city but i purchased chicken quarters and divided them and some gullets when i start to add in some new stuff for her!

Any tips are always appreciated!  

Iorveth

Iorveth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Organs are going to be essential for your dog, especially liver, but we just feed it frozen. My two don't like the texture of thawed organs. The only "glop" we make (we call it mush) is made of ground meat (often whole hunks we've ground ourselves) with sardines, eggs, fish oil, coconut oil in the summer to help with dry skin from the salt water, and kidney. We make it to hide the kidney in (they hate kidney in all forms) and as a convenient way to feed quickly on days we don't have time to watch them eat a whole meal. Most of their meals are frozen whole cuts of meat. 

There is a lot of debate on whether or not wild canids eat the stomach contents. Of small critters, sure. It's not worth the effort to pick out the stomach of something like a rabbit, but on large prey, wild wolves have been observed shaking the stomach contents out of the stomach and just eating the stomach lining itself. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO